Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

With Diaz in wait, UFC 150's Henderson can't count on third Edgar fight

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
While UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson is granting former titleholder Frankie Edgar a rematch in the headlining bout of next week's UFC 150 event, he can't count on the same treatment should he lose his belt.

UFC president Dana White today confirmed that Nate Diaz will indeed face the winner of next week's Henderson vs. Edgar matchup, meaning a Henderson loss won't result in a trilogy bout with Edgar.

"We have to get [the division] moving again," White said.

Link

Post #1   8/3/12 12:12:50AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nathan Diaz, future lightweight UFC champ! I'm so goddamn excited I can't believe it. Nate beats Edgar or Bendo.

Post #2   8/3/12 1:53:54AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,916-927
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Whatever happens, can we please NOT have another LW title rematch for a few years? That nonsense really hosed things this last couple years.

Post #3   8/3/12 3:43:07AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Nathan Diaz, future lightweight UFC champ! I'm so goddamn excited I can't believe it. Nate beats Edgar or Bendo.

I hope you are right. I was going to count him out at welterweight - But then Gomi, Cerrone and Miller - Damn.

I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Bendo, I think he has the style to beat him. Nate would have a tougher test vs Frankie imo,

Post #4   8/3/12 3:47:51AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,048-608
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Whatever happens, can we please NOT have another LW title rematch for a few years? That nonsense really hosed things this last couple years.

Especially in such a deep division.

Post #5   8/3/12 8:54:56AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,052-611
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by pmoney

I hope you are right. I was going to count him out at welterweight - But then Gomi, Cerrone and Miller - Damn.

I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Bendo, I think he has the style to beat him. Nate would have a tougher test vs Frankie imo,

Exactly, Bendo would engage, Frankie would stick and move. I think Edgar vs. Diaz would be real similar to Condit vs. Diaz, with the same results. Edgar via decision.

Post #6   8/3/12 9:36:23AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,278-676
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I'm not the biggest Diaz brothers fan. But you gotta give credit to where credit is due.
Nate's been on a terror lately. Since coming back down to the LW division he's made Gomi tap in the 1st. He destroyed the favorite Cerrone. And finished Jim Miller by submission. No one can say that they've finished Miller except Nate Diaz. He deserves the title shot.

And if Cerrone beats Guillard at UFC 150 I'd like him to face Anthony Pettis. If Cerrone wins over Guillard that'll be 8 wins in his last 9 fights.

Post #7   8/3/12 10:00:48AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,052-611
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by pmoney

I'm not the biggest Diaz brothers fan. But you gotta give credit to where credit is due.
Nate's been on a terror lately. Since coming back down to the LW division he's made Gomi tap in the 1st. He destroyed the favorite Cerrone. And finished Jim Miller by submission. No one can say that they've finished Miller except Nate Diaz. He deserves the title shot.

And if Cerrone beats Guillard at UFC 150 I'd like him to face Anthony Pettis. If Cerrone wins over Guillard that'll be 8 wins in his last 9 fights.

If Varner wins in impressive fashion and then gets another win after this one, I could see him getting a fight with Cerrone, as those two honestly do not like each other and the UFC and fans love a true grudge match fight.

Post #8   8/3/12 11:13:42AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

i think he loses to both edgar and bendo. neither will stand in front of him like he wants. i see him getting out worked with takedowns and ground control.

Post #9   8/3/12 12:29:17PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

Posted by pmoney

i think he loses to both edgar and bendo. neither will stand in front of him like he wants. i see him getting out worked with takedowns and ground control.

You could very well be right! I think Nate has improved his TDD though. It showed against Miller, and if I am not mistaken, the one takedown Miller got, Nate hit a sweet sweep to the mounted guillotine.

I think Bendo would be a harder fight than Edgar for Diaz. I simply think Nate is too big for Edgar. The reach Nate would have... I think it would go like Miller-Diaz. Bendo however, he's a bigger physical specimen than Edgar or Miller, and his top game is solid. However, like just about any opponent a Diaz faces, I think Bendo's only chance is lay and pray. Or a Condit like performance. (Even though I though Nick won that)

Post #10   8/3/12 2:18:26PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Chips:
No fighter in all of mma has impressed me as much as Diaz has in the last year. Finishing Jim Miller alone is a massive accomplishment, let alone destroying Cerrone and making Gomi look like an overgrown child.

I think that Rory MacDonald loss was the best thing that could have ever happened to Nate. He got tooled. And tooled in a very embarrassing way. That really gave him the push he needed to go from good to great imo.

I used to not care for Nate but that has changed very quickly.

Post #11   8/3/12 6:50:11PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I Hate to be the one to say it. But I don't think Diaz is gonna be champ.

Benson is a nightmare for Diaz imo. Benson is very compact and very fast. Diaz imo won't be able to submit bendo.

I also think he would not be able to beat Edgar. His best chance would be a sub on him but Edgar isn't just some contender he is championship caliber and he is getting this rematch for a reason

Post #12   8/3/12 8:15:56PM   

GettinsomeBas

MMA Regular

GettinsomeBas Avatar

Career:652-416
Camp: Zulu Fight Team
Chips:
Smooth has a solid chin an at this point I believe he is impossible to submit, his wrestling is vastly superior .. that said it would be an interesting fight

Post #13   8/3/12 9:08:27PM