Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC President Says it’s Time for Matt Hughes and Forrest Griffin to Walk Away

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Everyone gives Dana crap for statements like these, but I think they come from a place of compassion. at a certain point it becomes a question of quality of life after fighting. If he was the evil overlord that so many people like to paint him as he would try to make as much money as possible without regard for the damage that these guys take. When he was urging Chuck to retire he was still a big draw, The UFC doesn't stand to make anything from big names retiring. I think he genuinely cares for these guys and their health post UFC and from a business stand point they don't want a bunch of cases like Gary Goodrich. It just gives ammo to the argument that the sport is too brutal and inhumane.

(As far as Dana wanting guys to retire)^^^THIS.

IMO Hughes should hang them up, as said before, I don't think he is 100% in it and he just does it because he loves it so much, he knows he'll never win the title again. And there aren't many names out there at WW that even should take a fight with him, nothing to gain, too much to lose. Maybe set up a 2nd Matt Serra fight, that would be entertaining for both to officially ride off into the sunset on.

As far as Forrest....I can only see 4 fights right now that either haven't already happened and/or would be entertaining. Machida/Davis/T. Silva/Gustaffson......I would personally love to see Forrest against any of these guys, even though I know his chances against a couple of them are pretty good to be gettin KO'd. Even though I know Forrest won't get close to the title shot(which might be BS the way Jones is thinning out the division right now), I wouldn't like wo watch the beating Jones would put on him. I feel like it would be a combo of the Evans/Shogun Forrest flailing beatings.

Post #16   8/3/12 2:27:33PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,159-691
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Everyone gives Dana crap for statements like these, but I think they come from a place of compassion. at a certain point it becomes a question of quality of life after fighting. If he was the evil overlord that so many people like to paint him as he would try to make as much money as possible without regard for the damage that these guys take. When he was urging Chuck to retire he was still a big draw, The UFC doesn't stand to make anything from big names retiring. I think he genuinely cares for these guys and their health post UFC and from a business stand point they don't want a bunch of cases like Gary Goodrich. It just gives ammo to the argument that the sport is too brutal and inhumane.

Then why is he putting Vera in against Shogun? As I said Vera is 1-2-1. Forrest is 3-1. Surely he'd be more concerned over Vera's safety than Forrests!

Especially by telling Shogun, you beat this guy decisively you'll get the next shot... That's like writing Vera a death sentence

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #17   8/3/12 4:12:28PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Yes Dana is a compassionate guy...I like Dana...so he curses, and speaks his mind...so what...if you were in a car accidnet on the side of the road chances are 95% of the cars would pass you buy (and the one with James McSweeny in it would slow down to laugh at you) but the one with dana White in it would stop to help you.

However, sometimes you need to check your emmotions. Its stupid to claim guys shoudl retire just because they have Zero chance of ever winning a title in the UFC (which is an opinion and never a fact BTW)...if thats the case then everyone in the MW division should retire except Sonnen and Weidman.

If a man can win fights in the UFC, and avoid back to back losses (or avoid frequent back to back losses) then he is UFC calibur despite being past their prime...they stay.

Look at Alessio Sakara...he's been with the UFC since 2004...he wins 1 losses 1, wins 1 losses 1, wins 2 loses 2, wins 1 loses 2, wins 4, loses 3, wins one, loses 1, wins 3, loses 2, sins 2, loses 3, wins 2, loses 1...ect.

The guy will never be champ, but he is also never deserving of a cut,,,let him stay until he is.

Post #18   8/3/12 4:36:24PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,642-1,635
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I'd say it's because Vera isn't at the end of his career. Most people agree that he won the Couture fight and got screwed by the judges, he's younger than Griffin and Hughes and he hasn't had near the amount of wars or devastating losses (aside from Jones, but he destroys everyone) that both other men have. That being said I agree he is being fed to the Lion and this is basically a tune-up fight for Shogun but there is a difference between endangering a guys career and his long term health.

Post #19   8/3/12 4:48:47PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2