Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC President Says it’s Time for Matt Hughes and Forrest Griffin to Walk Away

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It’s been nearly a year since Matt Hughes lest set foot in the Octagon, and if it’s up to UFC president Dana White, the time that it has been will only get longer and longer.

In short, he wants the former UFC welterweight champion to retire. Period.

It is something Hughes has contemplated, but has yet to pull the trigger on. White, however, has his own mind made up.

“Hughes is one of these guys that I absolutely positively want Matt Hughes to retire. I mean, what else is there to accomplish. The guy has done everything,” said White after Thursday’s UFC on Fox 4 press conference.

“There’s nothing left to prove, but it’s so hard for these guys to say, ‘I’m retired.’ It was the same thing with Chuck (Liddell); going through it with Matt.”

Perhaps more surprising than saying he wanted Hughes to retire, however, was White’s steadfast belief that Forrest Griffin should hang up the gloves as well.

“I would like Forrest to retire. Nothing left for Forrest to prove either,” White declared.

“He won The Ultimate Fighter; had an amazing career. He won the title when people thought he couldn’t. He became a huge star. He made (expletive) of money. He’s got a beautiful wife; he’s got a baby.

“If you don’t want to be a world champion, why? What’s the point? I get it. It’s hard to walk away from walking into the arena with big crowds and all the (expletive).

“There comes a point man. You’ve had an amazing career; you’ve done great things. There’s nothing left to prove.”

link

Post #1   8/2/12 11:01:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Forrest tried to walk away, but Dana came after him.

Dana shouldn't have any say in fighters future, he's not fighting. These guys bust their asses off, not him. They fight b/c they like to do it. Some guys know they won't ever be champions, so they should just stop fighting?

Post #2   8/2/12 11:24:23PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Sounds like he's trying to pressure griffin into retiring because he doesn't want to cut him. Hughes too

Post #3   8/2/12 11:24:42PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Hughes heart isn't 100% in this anymore and he shows that to me after every fight when he says "well Joe, i'll go back to the farm and talk to the family and figure out what my next move is". He has a hard time keeping up with these younger guys and i hate seeing him get beat down left and right. I wish he would go out gracefully but with each loss that hope fades.

Griffin on the other hand has just taken too much damn punishment in his fights. I love his heart but for the love of god STOP being a punching bag.

Post #4   8/2/12 11:50:06PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
he already said he would never cut forrest or bonner in the past. as for hughes, he does need to retire. matt seems like a smart guy, if he does fight again and loses, i think he will retire. remember that the ufc doesnt have to give fighters fights even if they are on the payroll still.

Post #5   8/2/12 11:50:43PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Chips:
I agree with Hughes but not with Forrest....although I do not like him the guy is still competitive in the LHW division. Hughes amazingly is still a good fighter but unfortunately is one of those old veteran gatekeepers like BJ Penn, Rampage and Franklin is.....I don't see any of them ever holding a belt again.

Post #6   8/3/12 12:01:16AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Yeah he did say that.

I was implying Dana was pleading with griffin and Hughes to retire because he doesnt want to cut them

Hughes was a big time champion more so then tim sylvia. That is what is keeping him around

Post #7   8/3/12 12:04:05AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Chips:
Wish Hughes wasn't on up there in age. He's improved his standup by leaps and bounds these past few years. Imagine if he would've made these improvements while he had the title.

Post #8   8/3/12 1:03:15AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Wish Hughes wasn't on up there in age. He's improved his standup by leaps and bounds these past few years. Imagine if he would've made these improvements while he had the title.

This times a million! I started wondering recently what BJ and Matt's careers would have been like if they had trained together earlier... not that they aren't both legends and rightful Hall of Famers, but it seems to me like they both learned from each other and ended up developing a relationship based on mutual respect.

Post #9   8/3/12 2:07:00AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Wooooo Uncle Dana - - - take a deep breath and relax big fella!

You say it's time for Forrest to WALK away......surely, you mean RUN away.

Post #10   8/3/12 2:10:44AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Wooooo Uncle Dana - - - take a deep breath and relax big fella!

You say it's time for Forrest to WALK away......surely, you mean RUN away.

In Forrest's defense this is what happens when he runs at someone:

Post #11   8/3/12 3:09:26AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Dana shouldn't decide these guys futures, if they want to fight let them fight. If they lose 2 or 3 in a row then cut them...perhaps then they will retire...but if they keep winning, then why would you want them to retire? Not everyone can be a champion, but if you can still win matches in the UFC then that is where you belong!

Post #12   8/3/12 3:57:16AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,166-696
Chips:
So Forrest should retire cause he's 3-1 in recent fights and Vera is 1-2-1 and he's one away from a title shot. I'm a fan of Dana but I mean this is one of the stupidest things I've heard.

A win over Franklin is better than a win over Elliot Marshal, and a loss to Anderson Silva is as good as a loss to Jon Jones.

I'm not saying Forrest should get a title shot but I mean he's been on a rant recently about saying stupid things about the 205 division and this is just another.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #13   8/3/12 4:08:09AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Dana is afraid to cut guys that helped build the UFC and the sport. Let them fight out until they are like Chuck and get finished 5 of 6 fights and can no longer take punches. Give Hughes one more against who he wants (realistic fight clearly). And Forrest has won 3 of 4, let him keep fighting.

Post #14   8/3/12 10:46:42AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,663-1,643
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Everyone gives Dana crap for statements like these, but I think they come from a place of compassion. at a certain point it becomes a question of quality of life after fighting. If he was the evil overlord that so many people like to paint him as he would try to make as much money as possible without regard for the damage that these guys take. When he was urging Chuck to retire he was still a big draw, The UFC doesn't stand to make anything from big names retiring. I think he genuinely cares for these guys and their health post UFC and from a business stand point they don't want a bunch of cases like Gary Goodrich. It just gives ammo to the argument that the sport is too brutal and inhumane.

Post #15   8/3/12 12:15:42PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2