Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC champ Jon Jones fined $1,000 and license suspended at DWI sentencing

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As expected Jon Jones has avoided jail time following his May 19 arrest on a misdemeanor DWI charge.

The UFC light-heavyweight champion today was issued a $1,000 fine and six-month license suspension. He also will have ignition interlocks installed on his vehicles, and he needs to complete a victim-impact panel.

"Blessed to still have the full support of Broom County/all my fans and my DWI case officially behind me," Jones tweeted soon after the sentencing. "Moving forward."

Binghamton (N.Y.) City Court Judge Daniel L. Seiden sentenced Jones, according to pressconnects.com.

On July 3, Jones appeared in Binghamton (N.Y.) City Court to ask for more time to complete a drug and alcohol abuse program, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported. The sentencing then was pushed back to today...

Link

Post #1   7/31/12 11:50:10AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Just goes to show ya what a good lawyer and a "Big" Name can do.

Post #2   7/31/12 12:40:24PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Chips:

Posted by postman

Just goes to show ya what a good lawyer and a "Big" Name can do.

I agree, and it's DISGUSTING. I don't think I've ever met anyone who got a DUI and only had to pay $1,000. Jon Jones is a rich, high profile cocky young fuck who should have had the book thrown at him. But instead, the guy who makes millions will pay a thousand bucks, and the everyday men and women who get DUI's and make $30,000 a year will probably pay $5,000-$10,000 in fines and potentially get their lives ruined.

Not to say that crime shouldn't be without punishment, but cut breaks and give second chances to those who need it, not punk bitch millionaires.

Post #3   7/31/12 12:57:08PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,597-1,618
Camp: country KO
Chips:
So did he bring his golf clubs to court? Or did he leave them with his driver in the car?

Post #4   7/31/12 1:26:14PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"now you don't do that again, Mr. Jones"

*slaps hand*

Post #5   7/31/12 1:56:06PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,027-597
Chips:
It really just depends on the lawyer. I have the unfortunate 'privilege' of knowing (not biblically) a gentleman who received his 3rd DUI, and due to the red tapiness of the court system, had not been sentenced at all and in the meantime (2 months or less) managed to obtain a 4th DUI. I pretty much hate this dude so I haven't followed up, but I saw him at the bar a few weeks ago so he clearly isn't serving any real time yet for 4 DUI's. I was under the impression that we were getting tough on DUI, especially repeat, or chronic in his case, offenders
Long story short, to me this doesn't seem like he just breezed in and out of court for being Jon Jones, it just seems like the norm if you have the sweet talking lawyer or the lawyer who has a positive professional history with the judge.

Last edited 7/31/12 2:05PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/31/12 2:04:31PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

It really just depends on the lawyer. I have the unfortunate 'privilege' of knowing (not biblically) a gentleman who received his 3rd DUI, and due to the red tapiness of the court system, had not been sentenced at all and in the meantime (2 months or less) managed to obtain a 4th DUI. I pretty much hate this dude so I haven't followed up, but I saw him at the bar a few weeks ago so he clearly isn't serving any real time yet for 4 DUI's. I was under the impression that we were getting tough on DUI, especially repeat, or chronic in his case, offenders
Long story short, to me this doesn't seem like he just breezed in and out of court for being Jon Jones, it just seems like the norm if you have the sweet talking lawyer or the lawyer who has a positive professional history with the judge.

Very interesting stuff... I agree a good lawyer goes a long way. I knew a kid who got his license back in about three months after his first "deuce". Fines and lawyer fees weren't cheap, as his lawyer was also a former long termed D.A., but he didn't do any time or anything. I know in California the jails are so overcrowded you need to be a murderer or child rapist to get locked up now. Everyone else just gets fined out the ass, and does maybe 1/5th or 1/6th of their sentence, if that.

Post #7   7/31/12 3:27:21PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by airkerma

Very interesting stuff... I agree a good lawyer goes a long way. I knew a kid who got his license back in about three months after his first "deuce". Fines and lawyer fees weren't cheap, as his lawyer was also a former long termed D.A., but he didn't do any time or anything. I know in California the jails are so overcrowded you need to be a murderer or child rapist to get locked up now. Everyone else just gets fined out the ass, and does maybe 1/5th or 1/6th of their sentence, if that.

thats still bs cause only certain ppl can afford these lawyers. so once again the rich get away with even more

Post #8   7/31/12 3:38:49PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
This is exactly how Lindsay Lohan's problems started. . .

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #9   7/31/12 6:18:50PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

We(WI) are the worst state as far as repeat drunk drivers go(or at least were last I heard), and there's a news story once a week minimum about people getting their 6th, 7th, 8th, etc. DUI's. It's crazy to me that they aren't locked up or at least having to blow to start their cars. It all pretty much comes down to overcrowding in the system like P$ said though.

Post #10   7/31/12 6:23:00PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
And the blessings just continue to roll in for JBJ...

Post #11   7/31/12 9:29:35PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Not really surprised . He got off too easy though IMO

Post #12   7/31/12 10:08:52PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:985-644
Chips:
First of all , I myself have had a DUI so I have some ground to stand on in this issue. Second Jones isn't just paying $1000 and that's it.... His great attorney I'm sure charged him at least $3000 for his services if not much much more. Third the ignition device that the courts are going to install in his vehicle(s) cost $$$$. I'm sure he is also sentenced to outpatient therapy and that cost $$$. Not to mention the drug test money/ PBT tests he will also have to pay for monthly.... Lastly I don't know what it cost in other states but in Michigan it cost $ 125 to have your license re-instated after you pay $500 yr for 2 yrs in what Michigan calls a "driver responsibility" fee . Soo $1000 is probebly just his restitution and probationary fees.... Which to be honest is a lot better than the $2000 I had to pay, and I had a kick ass attorney !

Post #13   8/1/12 12:15:47AM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
I do think they went light on him, but just a bit. I am sure by the time he pays his lawyer, pays for the ignition doo-dads, and does the victim program it will cost him more, not that its going to even make a dent in his bank account. I, however will wait before I pass too harsh of a judgement on him, as anyone can screw up once. Who knows, mabye karma will bite him in the ass and he will get put to sleep with a huge H-bomb, which I personally would love to see.

Post #14   8/1/12 7:49:39PM