Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Vera potentially getting a title shot?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
It has been announced by Dana that the winner of the Shogun/Vera fight will get the next shot. Clearly an argument can be made for Shogun, but Vera? I was initially shocked by this announcement, but when I read that Bader had no problem with it, stating if Vera could beat Shogun, he deserved a shot, that kind puts things into perspective I guess. I am just worried that Vera is going to squeak out a decision due to an injured Shogun or something, and completely ruin his fight with Hendo or Jones. If Vera wins this, he better friggin earn it.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/7/30/3204564/dana-white-confirms-shogun-rua-brandon-vera-winner-gets-title-shot

Post #1   7/30/12 7:24:45PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Call me crazy, but I have a feeling Vera going to shock us all in this fight with Shogun.
I hope Hendo H-Bombs Jones too

I'm just a wishful thinker

Post #2   7/30/12 7:35:38PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I tend to think of Thiago Silva as a poor mans Shogun. But there's a chance Thiago Silva on steroids is a mutant super saiyan Shogun instead.

Good luck Vera.

Post #3   7/30/12 7:43:43PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:488-293
Chips:
This is all smoke, Vera won't get a title shot if he wins and Machida won't get a titleshot if he wins. Bader and Shogun imo are the only likely candidates to get a Titleshot on this card.

Post #4   7/30/12 7:47:16PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

This is all smoke, Vera won't get a title shot if he wins and Machida won't get a titleshot if he wins. Bader and Shogun imo are the only likely candidates to get a Titleshot on this card.

yeah, no reason to get all riled up and make a thread, there is ZERO chance this happens. I think Gustaf will get the next shot and will give Jones the fight of his life if Jones decides to do anything other than grind out a laying decision.

Post #5   7/30/12 9:37:15PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I tend to think of Thiago Silva as a poor mans Shogun. But there's a chance Thiago Silva on steroids is a mutant super saiyan Shogun instead.

Good luck Vera.

That's true. There's always that possibility

With that being said though, Shogun via destruction.

Post #6   7/30/12 9:56:58PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Machida's attempt at beating Jones > Shogun's attempt at beating Jones

I really want to see Machida/Jones II. Machida was outstriking Bones before he got caught.

Post #7   7/30/12 10:07:31PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Didn't he say something similarly ludicrous when the whole Overeem/Lesnar thing was up in the air for a while? He said something like Frank Mir will get the next title shot, and it was obviously not true.

The winner of Bader Machida vs Gustafsson, and that winner gets the title shot makes the most sense IMO.

Post #8   7/30/12 10:23:53PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by frizzzlecake

Machida's attempt at beating Jones > Shogun's attempt at beating Jones

I really want to see Machida/Jones II. Machida was outstriking Bones before he got caught.

Wasnt fair, Shogun got caught pretty early in the fight. Dont count his performance like it was a typical Shogun.

Post #9   7/30/12 11:25:01PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

yeah, no reason to get all riled up and make a thread, there is ZERO chance this happens. I think Gustaf will get the next shot and will give Jones the fight of his life if Jones decides to do anything other than grind out a laying decision.

If Brandon Vera somehow upset Mauricio Rua, he would have a better victory under his belt than Alexander Gustaffson does. I personally would have no interest in Jones messing up Vera even worse the second time, but Gustaffson is in the Weidmanverse with his biggest victory coming in a fight nobody has seen (and a lot have forgotten) and at the moment with no significant wins over that upper tier of light heavyweights that has strangled the top for a couple years now. It's the same reason the UFC has thrown Teixeira vs. Jackson together; a win over Quinton Jackson is still a big enough deal that they can use it to market a fight against Jon Jones even if we are all well aware that Jackson is near-done.

Gustaffson is one fight away unless the stars line up perfectly for him.

Posted by ghandikush

Wasnt fair, Shogun got caught pretty early in the fight. Dont count his performance like it was a typical Shogun.

What is the typical Shogun? His UFC tenure has netted him everything from a title and a thriller against Henderson as well as a bunch of injuries, a competitive fight against Mark Coleman and a loss to Forrest Griffin.

Post #10   7/31/12 12:04:30AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The fat lady has sung

Post #11   7/31/12 12:14:10AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling Vera going to shock us all in this fight with Shogun.

CRAZY!

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #12   7/31/12 12:53:19AM   

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:2,721-1,436
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Good luck Vera.

GSLT fine sir. Touché.

Post #13   7/31/12 1:02:00AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by ghandikush

If Brandon Vera somehow upset Mauricio Rua, he would have a better victory under his belt than Alexander Gustaffson does. I personally would have no interest in Jones messing up Vera even worse the second time, but Gustaffson is in the Weidmanverse with his biggest victory coming in a fight nobody has seen (and a lot have forgotten) and at the moment with no significant wins over that upper tier of light heavyweights that has strangled the top for a couple years now. It's the same reason the UFC has thrown Teixeira vs. Jackson together; a win over Quinton Jackson is still a big enough deal that they can use it to market a fight against Jon Jones even if we are all well aware that Jackson is near-done.

Gustaffson is one fight away unless the stars line up perfectly for him.

Posted by ghandikush

What is the typical Shogun? His UFC tenure has netted him everything from a title and a thriller against Henderson as well as a bunch of injuries, a competitive fight against Mark Coleman and a loss to Forrest Griffin.

You got me on Gustaf big wons but he did destroy matt hamill for one thing.

As far as typical shogun I am talking about most shogun performances... He has only had a few really injury ridden ones in the ufc.

Post #14   7/31/12 5:41:05AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

As far as typical shogun I am talking about most shogun performances... He has only had a few really injury ridden ones in the ufc.

To play devils advocate. He's been injured in 3 of his 8 UFC fights(Griffin1[acl/mcl],Henderson[collarbone], Machida2[acl])

Hes been ring-rusty-sloppy in both of his fights post-surgery{Coleman, Jones).

And has been pretty awesome in the 3 fights he's had in top condition.(Forrest2,Machida1,Liddell).

___

This fight is post-surgery. On average his worst performances.

Post #15   7/31/12 6:23:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2