Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Serra backs Chris Weidman's UFC middleweight title shot call for Anderson Silva

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra sees a future champion in 185-pound pupil Chris Weidman.

Of course, the New Yorker is biased toward Weidman. But as the only fighter to defeat Georges St-Pierre – despite 10-to-1 odds – in the last eight years, Serra’s ability to spot long shots isn’t something to be taken lightly.

He believes Weidman has what it takes to snap Anderson Silva’s historic streak of 10 straight title defenses and 15 straight UFC wins.

Link

Last edited 7/30/12 1:56PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: derp

Post #1   7/29/12 11:35:22PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Ill back him too but he's not ready. belcher or belfort will be the one to do so.

Post #2   7/30/12 11:11:34AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:
Teh link borkened, I just get 404.
Of course Serra is backing Weidman's bid, isn't he his coach?

Post #3   7/30/12 11:14:35AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

shit, my bad

Post #4   7/30/12 1:34:30PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

shit, my bad

fixed

Post #5   7/30/12 1:56:47PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

shit, my bad

fixed

Post #6   7/30/12 2:10:04PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,894-1,593
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I would like Weidman's chances against Silva. He seems to be a combination of Chael Sonnen and Travis Lutter, the 2 fighters that have given Silva his toughest fights in the UFC.

Post #7   7/30/12 4:25:57PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Hate to beat a dead horse here but...yeah Weidman has the best chance at beating Silva out of all the current contenders, but the UFC is a business. Like any business it's about making money. You see it all the time in boxing--#1 contenders get passed over (sometimes champs even forfeit their belts) to fight a bigger name that'll sell more PPV's.

Weidman had a terribly boring bout against Maia on Fox, which is the most exposure he has had (I'd give him a pass since it was on short notice), and his biggest win over Munoz was on Fuel TV, of which all thirty or so people who have that station probably are riding really high on him.

I think he'll be third in line after Belcher/Belfort and Bisping/Stann are done. The UFC is probably really hopeful Bisping comes out on top because he'll be the biggest seller, and they've put a lot of time into making him a star.

Weidman has stepped up several times on short notice, which is awesome, but turning down the Belfort bout because he feels entitled to a title shot really irritates me. On top of that he just hasn't shown much personality...looking very awkward in post fight interviews. The UFC felt he needed a big name under his belt, and they offered him one, really disappointed he didn't take the opportunity.

Having his coach Matt Serra do the talking for him isn't going to win him any fans either.

Post #8   7/30/12 5:35:09PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Hate to beat a dead horse here but...yeah Weidman has the best chance at beating Silva out of all the current contenders, but the UFC is a business. Like any business it's about making money. You see it all the time in boxing--#1 contenders get passed over (sometimes champs even forfeit their belts) to fight a bigger name that'll sell more PPV's.

Weidman had a terribly boring bout against Maia on Fox, which is the most exposure he has had (I'd give him a pass since it was on short notice), and his biggest win over Munoz was on Fuel TV, of which all thirty or so people who have that station probably are riding really high on him.

I think he'll be third in line after Belcher/Belfort and Bisping/Stann are done. The UFC is probably really hopeful Bisping comes out on top because he'll be the biggest seller, and they've put a lot of time into making him a star.

Weidman has stepped up several times on short notice, which is awesome, but turning down the Belfort bout because he feels entitled to a title shot really irritates me. On top of that he just hasn't shown much personality...looking very awkward in post fight interviews. The UFC felt he needed a big name under his belt, and they offered him one, really disappointed he didn't take the opportunity.

Having his coach Matt Serra do the talking for him isn't going to win him any fans either.

what if Bisping/Stann and Belcher/Belfort winners breaks a hand or something? Silva's next title fight won't be until April. Weidman and Silva are both healthy now and can fight on a New Years card. Winner of that can fight winner of one the other fights in May where there isn't a huge layoff

Last edited 8/2/12 6:46PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   8/2/12 6:45:58PM