Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Silva manager likes third fight with Franklin, but GSP leading candidate for UFC champ

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
There's a line of middleweights waiting to fight champ Anderson Silva.

The tough part may be rousing Silva's interest in fighting them.

"At the end of the day, it's difficult to find an opponent that can fight Anderson," manager Ed Soares told MMAjunkie.com. "There's not a ton of them out there."

LINK

Post #1   7/27/12 5:34:12PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
I'm not real interested in either fight actually

Post #2   7/27/12 5:41:14PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
Why would a third fight with Franklin happen? Does anyone have any interest in that? I personally don't.

And I've said this before but GSP has some serious catching up to do with the Welterweight division. Condit and Kampmann/Hendricks need to happen before a Silva fight. Not to mention the fight has lost a lot of appeal from when it was first brought up several years ago. I feel like GSP doesn't want that fight either. He comes off that way in past interviews. He has a good thing going at Welterweight and there are still interesting fights there for him. He doesn't need the Silva fight and neither do I.

Last edited 7/27/12 5:47PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/27/12 5:45:53PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
So basically Soares wants the fights that Silva has the greatest chance of winning. Theres a shock!
Silva was as big as Forrest at LHW and even if he did get down to WW he'd have and obscene size advantage. Why not call out Jones or even Rashad?

Something about Soares annoys me. He's the Frank Warren of the mma world!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   7/27/12 5:55:46PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Chips:
im getting depressed lately.

1st they are threatening to make my boy Shogun go in there w/ Jones again, which i do not want to see right now. Then they are talking about a 3rd rich franklin fight w/ anderson, which i REALLY dont want to see.

ARE THEY TRYING TO MAKE ME QUIT WATCHING!?!!?!!?

Post #5   7/27/12 7:43:42PM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:
There's still a few good fights for Silva at MW. Weidman IMO is the obvious choice. I'd rather see Vitor Belfort vs Silva II than Franklin vs Silva III. And if Belcher gets past Belfort that would be another option.

So let me get this straight the leading candidate for Silva is GSP, whose a WW? Hmm. GSP doesn't fight til November against Condit and more than likely providing he wins he'll be fighting the Kampmann/Hendricks winner. And even though Nick Diaz is serving his 1 year suspension and is uncertain about his MMA future, I believe that match could potentially take place sometime towards the middle of 2013. That would be a huge draw and I'm pretty sure nobody will complain about GSP vs Nick Diaz.

There's a guy by the name of Jon Jones that Silva could put a Superfight on with but I don't think he's interested in that one.

Post #6   7/27/12 7:52:56PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I'm not real interested in either fight actually

me neither. silva needs to fight whoever the next contender is and not bitch about. he's the champ, he cant be champ forever, sooner or later he will fall victim to some new badass and then he can have his 3rd fight with franklin before retirement.

Post #7   7/27/12 7:55:23PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Franklin, Silva 3? lol, get real. Every time I see one of these interviews from Silva's camp I just laugh and shake my head. What planet are these guys living on? Silva vs Weidman would be a joke, but you want to set up Franklin vs Silva 3 when the first 2 fights were lopsided beatdowns and the guy hasn't even been in your division for like 4 years???

What... the hell.... are you talking about?

I get that it's in their best interest to try to get their fighter set up in matches where he has the best chance of winning, but if this is the best you can do to convince us that Silva shouldn't be fighting Weidman, offering Franklin as an alternative, you're really bad at your job.

"Franklin has only ever lost to Anderson Silva at 185."

ok.... And Weidman has lost toooooo who again?

Every time I see this guy talk, nothing but stupidity and bullshit comes out of his mouth.

Post #8   7/27/12 8:11:12PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
What's wrong with Ed Soares? The part I like is when he acknowledges Weidman's impressive 9-0 record, then goes on to say because Anderson has twice as many wins as him, that doesn't make him a contender. WTF? He follows that up with this statement.

I think [Silva would] be interested in fighting Franklin again, just simply because he respects Rich a lot, and he feels that Rich was the guy that gave him the opportunity to fight for the belt.

So take that lesson and apply it to the current situation, Ed.

Last edited 7/27/12 9:01PM server time by crushedbacon
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #9   7/27/12 8:32:28PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,883-1,079
Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

There's a guy by the name of Jon Jones that Silva could put a Superfight on with but I don't think he's interested in that one.

Of course not, Jones has too many advantages over him. It is much less risky to fight a guy who is much smaller, in a lower weight class, hasn't fought in over a year and has a full schedule when he does return.

I've got nothing but respect for Anderson's ability but his hesitation to push himself really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd have more respect for him even if he lost while challenging himself than I do now with his cautious approach.

Post #10   7/27/12 8:59:45PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Franklin!?!?!

Damn......I have a feeling this is going to happen...guaranteed win for Silva. Just the kind he looks for

Post #11   7/27/12 9:04:11PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I was pretty sure that his camp stated they were not interested in a fight with GSP numerous times while he was healthy. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but pretty strange that they would choose this time (when he's been out for over a year with a potentially career-ending injury) to change their mind.

Post #12   7/27/12 9:24:38PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I was pretty sure that his camp stated they were not interested in a fight with GSP numerous times while he was healthy. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but pretty strange that they would choose this time (when he's been out for over a year with a potentially career-ending injury) to change their mind.

Not only that but from the other side, GSP has repeatedly said it doesn't interest him unless he ever makes the move permanently to 185 in the future. If he does, he said he'll take at least a year to properly build his body for the division before taking a fight, which is obviously the smart way to do it. It's really just a pipe dream superfight and there's no reason for Silva's camp to make news with something they know won't happen.

Post #13   7/27/12 9:28:45PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
GSP makes sense. Two of the greatest champs in UFC history and both guys are close to cleaning out there divisions.

I'm scratching my head at the mention of Franklin vs Silva 3 though....

At the people saying Anderson is to big for GSP but Jones and Anderson would be just fine. Whats the difference?

Post #14   7/28/12 1:02:49AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

At the people saying Anderson is to big for GSP but Jones and Anderson would be just fine. Whats the difference?

Anderson has fought twice at LHW already and is 2-0 at the weight, that alone makes me think him vs Jones is a better fight than vs GSP who has never fought above WW.

I think the only reason Soares wants the GSP fight is that Sliva is far more likely to win it.

Post #15   7/28/12 1:42:22AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2