Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC on Fox 4 Main or Co-Main Event to Determine Next Title Contender at 205lbs

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
According to a report from Fox Sports on Wednesday, UFC president Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva will find the next light heavyweight title contender out of the two main event bouts heading the card in Los Angeles on Aug. 4.

Should Mauricio “Shogun” Rua defeat Brandon Vera in impressive fashion, he’s likely the man who will get the call to next compete for the UFC light heavyweight title. If Rua loses or doesn’t shine the way most expect him to against opponent Brandon Vera then the UFC will turn its attention to the co-main event bout between Lyoto Machida and Ryan Bader.

“These fighters have a huge opportunity to show the world why they deserve to fight for the UFC title next,” White said in an email to Fox Sports. “Winning isn’t enough at UFC on Fox. This division is so competitive these fighters have to look great to separate themselves from the pack.

“I’m expecting all of these guys to go all-out to prove why they should be next in line for a title shot.”

link

Post #1   7/25/12 8:03:39PM   

lohmann

lohmann Avatar

Chips:
What do Ryan Bader, Lyoto Machida, Mauricio Rua, and Brandon Vera all in have common? They all already have lost to Jon Jones.

Post #2   7/25/12 8:06:10PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think none of them are close to a title shot, even if they win.

Shogun coming off a loss. I know it was close, but still a loss just like Bisping's loss to Sonnen.

Vera came back from being cut.

Machida just lost to Jon Jones in his last fight and not like it was close or anything.

Bader if he wins would only be his 3rd straight win and he fought Jones 4 fights ago, followed up by a loss to Ortiz.

None of these guys vs Jones again interests me at all, but maybe once they build up some more then maybe.

Post #3   7/25/12 9:18:32PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,559-1,350
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Shogun coming off a loss. I know it was close, but still a loss just like Bisping's loss to Sonnen.

Machida just lost to Jon Jones in his last fight and not like it was close or anything.

Bader if he wins would only be his 3rd straight win and he fought Jones 4 fights ago, followed up by a loss to Ortiz.

None of these guys vs Jones again interests me at all, but maybe once they build up some more then maybe.

Dont agree that Machida/Jones wasnt close. Machida took round 1 and got caught in round 2. I think out of the 4 fighters Machida has the best shot at beating Jones.

Post #4   7/25/12 9:28:08PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,385-791
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
as a Shogun fan, i hope we dont see him fight Jones any time soon. But would love to see him & Hendo go at it again!

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #5   7/25/12 9:39:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Dont agree that Machida/Jones wasnt close. Machida took round 1 and got caught in round 2. I think out of the 4 fighters Machida has the best shot at beating Jones.

I can really only remember the finish from the fight. Though, it's still too early for me to want to see a rematch.

Post #6   7/25/12 9:46:28PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,296-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Honestly I say have gustlfsson face bonner or lil nog at 151 and give him next title shot

Post #7   7/25/12 10:27:39PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
If you look at the rankings and who hasn't faced Jones yet Alexander Gustafsson is near the top. I guess the UFC doesn't think a Jones/Gustafsson match is the right thing to do. Fight magazine has Alexander ranked 4th behind Jones, Hendo and Rashad. I don't necessarily think Gustafsson can beat Jones but we know that the rest of the pack behind him can't either as they have already tried. Gustafsson matches up well against Jones. He is tall and has a long reach. I think it would be a pretty good scrap really. Well for a while anyhow till Jones turns up the heat. Personally I want to see Glover Teixeira make it far enough up the ladder to face Jones. Teixeira is an animal. I have been a fan of his for years and I am so psyched he is in the UFC finally. He threw Kingsbury around like he was a rag doll. He made short, vicious work of him. I have a feeling he is going to beat on Rampage. If Glover beats Rampage and another top tier guy they will probably give him a title shot. I hope so. I say Gustafsson for now though.

Last edited 7/25/12 10:39PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: grammar

Post #8   7/25/12 10:38:20PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
Of course the Hendo/Jones match comes first. I hope Hendo can somehow win!!! Doubt it though.

Post #9   7/25/12 10:41:19PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,624-911
Chips:
The next contender will be used as a sacrificial lamb to be fed to Bones while Gusaffson racks up another.

If Bones can handle Henderson, of course.

Post #10   7/25/12 11:29:28PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,805-1,005
Chips:
So these are the parameters:

-Main or Co-main event determines next title contender at 205
-Winning isnt enough for Fox, you need to win big.

In my estimation, Shogun has about a 100% chance of finishing the fight decisively if he wins, and Machida about 40-50% if he wins.

Shogun is more likely than not, the next title contender.

Post #11   7/25/12 11:45:00PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
I just don't think Machida has done anything to earn a second shot at Jones after he just fought Jones in his last fight.

He lost the title to shogun

Then lost to Rampage, although he probably won that fight.

He beats Couture and then gets a title shot. Other circumstances in that case, I believe.

Then loses to Jones.

Then if he beats Bader, he should get to fight Jones again after 1 win?

Hendo beating Jones would open up things a lot at LHW.

Post #12   7/26/12 1:06:11AM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Or if belfort ko's belcher that could be an idea other than the guff of course who deserves it more than any other. but all this depends on if jones gets passed hendo.

Post #13   7/26/12 1:36:06AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:
Last 5 Fights:

Top 3:
Jones 5-0
Hendo 4-1
Evans 4-1

The 4 Mentioned:
Shogun 2-3
Machida 2-3
Bader 3-2
Vera 2-2-1

The up-and-comers:
Phil Davis 4-1
Alexander Gustaffason 5-0
James Te Huna 4-1

The (No-Offence) Has-Beens:
Forrest Griffin 3-2
Rampage 2-3

One Light-Heavyweight win away from a title shot:
Chael Sonnen 3-2
Daniel Cormier 5-0

=========================================================

Looking over that list nobody has been consistent. I could justify Chael Sonnen being 1 win away as much as Shogun, Vera, Machida or Bader.

I think should Davis win this weekend he should be lined up next but it should be scheduled for quite a while away 4-6 months so that other contenders can emerge. Unless, Hendo lands the H-Bomb, if that happens, i will be one happy happy man.

H-BOMB! H-BOMB! H-BOMB! H-BOMB! H-BOMB!

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #14   7/26/12 7:57:19AM   

lohmann

lohmann Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

I think should Davis win this weekend he should be lined up next but it should be scheduled for quite a while away 4-6 months so that other contenders can emerge. Unless, Hendo lands the H-Bomb, if that happens, i will be one happy happy man.

I doubt that Phil Davis could use a win over Wagner Prado to springboard himself into a title shot. What hurts the two top ten fighters that have not fought Jones yet, Davis and Gustaffson, is that neither have the signature win that will help the UFC market them as a legitimate contender against a dominant champion. Gustaffson is closer with the dominant victory over Thiago Silva but that is hardly the sort of momentum needed anymore to jump into a fight with Bones. Actually, should Teixeira defeat Jackson, we might see Glover leapfrog both.

(The quandary at the top will of course be minimized when an H-Bomb annihilates the Jones train.)

Post #15   7/26/12 8:20:21AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2