Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Belfort in talks about Weidman fight in Rio

Print  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/161909.html

Vitor Belfort has revealed he has held talks with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva over a possible fight with Chris Weidman.
"Guys, I spoke to Joe Silva and asked to fight with the top contender #weidman here in Brazil,2 Belfort tweeted. "I think this is the fight that will credence me to a title fight so that is what happened.
"I want the belt but I am not desperate. I think Weidman is the next for the belt, but Anderson Silva deserves to see who is next. So let's make this fight the next contender: Belfort vs Weidman the next contender for Anderson Silva."
Weidman quickly replied to Belfort, and he seemed less willing to meet the former light-heavyweight.
Weidman tweeted: "Love ya @vitorbelfort but you already had your shot at the belt and I'm sure you will have another in the future. Right now is my time though."

I really wish they would hurry up and clear up the MW picture right now but i guess they are waiting for bisping/stann

Post #1   7/24/12 5:24:37PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Weidman is gung ho about that title shot! I like it. Alan Belcher was campaigning for a shot at Belfort (#TalentvsPhenom), which sets up a #1 contender shot nicely. I think Vitor needs that fight, he needs to win, and I think he still needs a couple more after that before another title shot.

Post #2   7/24/12 6:46:12PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Weidman is gung ho about that title shot! I like it. Alan Belcher was campaigning for a shot at Belfort (#TalentvsPhenom), which sets up a #1 contender shot nicely. I think Vitor needs that fight, he needs to win, and I think he still needs a couple more after that before another title shot.

Although Belfort is my guy I have to agree with you $. Belfort needs at least 2 more wins. Weidman is the type of guy that could take Vitor down and drain his soul more and more each minute its spent on the ground. Sucks to say but its no secret that Belfort isn't very mentally strong. I'd still be rooting for him tho

Last edited 7/24/12 7:20PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/24/12 7:19:14PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Chips:
I support Weidman for the title while Belfort fights Belcher, if he wins that he could clash with the winner of Stann vs Bisping....both of them could use another win to solidify that #1 contender status having recently lost to Sonnen.

Post #4   7/24/12 7:24:49PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I support Weidman for the title while Belfort fights Belcher, if he wins that he could clash with the winner of Stann vs Bisping....both of them could use another win to solidify that #1 contender status having recently lost to Sonnen.

Post #5   7/24/12 7:33:56PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Chips:
I really dont think the UFC is going to give Weidman a title shot. He has a solid chance of winning, he's not a big draw, and Anderson is in the last portion of his big money years.

I think they give Weidman 1-2 more fights before a title shot honestly.

Post #6   7/24/12 7:34:02PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by Manak

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/161909.html

Vitor Belfort has revealed he has held talks with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva over a possible fight with Chris Weidman.
"Guys, I spoke to Joe Silva and asked to fight with the top contender #weidman here in Brazil,2 Belfort tweeted. "I think this is the fight that will credence me to a title fight so that is what happened.
"I want the belt but I am not desperate. I think Weidman is the next for the belt, but Anderson Silva deserves to see who is next. So let's make this fight the next contender: Belfort vs Weidman the next contender for Anderson Silva."
Weidman quickly replied to Belfort, and he seemed less willing to meet the former light-heavyweight.
Weidman tweeted: "Love ya @vitorbelfort but you already had your shot at the belt and I'm sure you will have another in the future. Right now is my time though."

I really wish they would hurry up and clear up the MW picture right now but i guess they are waiting for bisping/stann

Weidman is right, and stayed classy too. He could have said "You got KTFO when you tried, so now its my turn"

Post #7   7/24/12 8:23:33PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I really dont think the UFC is going to give Weidman a title shot. He has a solid chance of winning, he's not a big draw, and Anderson is in the last portion of his big money years.

I think they give Weidman 1-2 more fights before a title shot honestly.

Us hardcore fans know Weidman should be next in line after a KO win and with the lack of contenders that haven't already been beaten by the champ.
However, you are right when you say he's not that big of a draw; Silva/Belfort II would sell better to casual fans, so Weidman likely gets one more fight before his shot.

Post #8   7/24/12 8:26:46PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Chips:
Weidman is in the lead for a title shot. Belcher would make a good fight with Belfort like mentioned.

Post #9   7/24/12 9:32:51PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
I agree lets give it to weidman and have belfort/belcher

Post #10   7/24/12 9:57:12PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Also im loving how some of these guys are getting big name fights. HOWEVER, WHAT I'M NOT LOVING IS HOW ZUFFA KEEPS BLACKBALLIN ELVIS SINOSIC!

Post #11   7/24/12 11:54:52PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:

Posted by meier

Also im loving how some of these guys are getting big name fights. HOWEVER, WHAT I'M NOT LOVING IS HOW ZUFFA KEEPS BLACKBALLIN ELVIS SINOSIC!

Post #12   7/25/12 12:42:47AM