Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nothing decided yet, but UFC boss says Chris Weidman currently closest to title shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Saturday's UFC 149 co-main event was supposed to provide a little clarity to the middleweight title picture. And it did – sort of.

Tim Boetsch, a more than 3-to-1 underdog in his fight against former Bellator middleweight champ Hector Lombard, won a split decision – snapping Lombard's 25-fight unbeaten streak and throwing a wrench into the 185-pound class.

And because of that upset, UFC president Dana White was no closer after the card to figuring out the next opponent for champ Anderson Silva as he was before it – though he has an idea the direction he'd go if the clock was ticking and he had to pick immediately: Chris Weidman.

Link

Post #1   7/22/12 3:00:26PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Boetsch has a nice streak going, but he is still a couple wins over top MWs or one definitive win against a contender away from challenging, imo. He'd lose to Anderson Silva anyway.

Post #2   7/22/12 3:13:07PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:
Match Boetsch up with Weidman and Lombard up with Munoz. Seems right to me. I think any one of the four loses to Anderson anyway

Post #3   7/22/12 3:14:45PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Weidman needs to be next to fight Anderson Silva. I changed my mind about wanting him to take Vitor first. Let Weidman keep that run, that momentum. That could be valuable. Based on everything we have seen lately, I think it's safe to assume Weidman is the most legit threat to Anderson's title reign.

If Bisping-Stann is already done, Belcher-Boetsch could be done and either of those could be #1 contender fights. Or, Belcher-Carmont or Boetsch-Carmont could be done. Vitor-Carmont, Vitor-Boetsch, however it shakes up there are lots of matches to be made in the division.

Post #4   7/22/12 3:36:04PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Weidman vs Bisping - - - winner gets Anderson
Vitor vs Belcher - - - winner gets above winner
Big Tim vs Stann - - - will have to wait in line

Yours truly goes up to 205 and puts Bones over my knee and teaches him the meaning of Life

Last edited 7/22/12 4:21PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   7/22/12 3:44:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Yours truly goes up to 205 and puts Bones over my knee and teaches him the meaning of Life

Last edited 7/22/12 5:43PM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   7/22/12 5:43:03PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I only hope so

Post #7   7/22/12 6:29:25PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
I want to see Weidman next. I truly think he has the best chance to beat Anderson. Will he be the next great champ? Doubtful. Could he upset Anderson? Yes, I think he is the perfect bad match up for Anderson in terms of skills. He is a similar style to Chael, and he doesnt make stupid mistakes (SO FAR!). He also has better power than Chael IMO. He no doubt has holes, but I think a young buck like Weidman is what it takes to end the reign of terror Anderson has put on the division.

Post #8   7/22/12 7:51:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think it depends on when the UFC wants to give Silva another fight. Soon or can they wait a little bit? Will they want to give him another fight b/c he had all the injury time off and now healthy and came out of the Sonnen fight good?

Post #9   7/22/12 8:57:21PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,072-1,682
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Weidman is the most logical choice. He's a great wrestler with good standup, good ground control, submissions, and submission defense.

Last edited 7/22/12 9:12PM server time by tepid55

Post #10   7/22/12 9:11:30PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
I truly think he's the only guy good enough to beat Silva and I would love to see that fight before Silva retires. Nobody else at MW to me is making the competition look C-level except Silva and Weidman.

Weidman gets my vote for next shot even though Bisping is more likely if he wins

Post #11   7/22/12 9:14:07PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I think Weidman needs to be next to fight Anderson Silva. I changed my mind about wanting him to take Vitor first. Let Weidman keep that run, that momentum. That could be valuable. Based on everything we have seen lately, I think it's safe to assume Weidman is the most legit threat to Anderson's title reign.

If Bisping-Stann is already done, Belcher-Boetsch could be done and either of those could be #1 contender fights. Or, Belcher-Carmont or Boetsch-Carmont could be done. Vitor-Carmont, Vitor-Boetsch, however it shakes up there are lots of matches to be made in the division.

I'd say if Bisping gets by Stann then he should fight Boetsch. Both of those guys need one more good win to really earn a shot.

In the mean time have Weidman fight Silva and Belcher fight Vitor.

Done.

Post #12   7/22/12 9:52:25PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
with the right game plan and all this momentum i think weidman will make a great fight for silva. im not sure if i would pick him to win other than to make some cash because he will probably be a big underdog against silva. i like his wrestling and he has great pressure. if he could bully silva against the cage and keep taking him down, i think he could put that belt in serious jeopardy.

Post #13   7/23/12 12:01:00AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by pmoney

I'd say if Bisping gets by Stann then he should fight Boetsch. Both of those guys need one more good win to really earn a shot.

In the mean time have Weidman fight Silva and Belcher fight Vitor.

Done.

Sounds perfect to me

Post #14   7/23/12 7:01:24AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Excellent ideas, particularly the handling of Jones, but all of those fights will take a bit of time to put together and then set up the title shot afterward. I would like to see Silva matched up a bit more soon, unless he's injured again...just to keep the division in motion.

Post #15   7/23/12 9:46:34AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2