Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Urijah Faber Not Sure What’s Next After Second Failed UFC Title Bid

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Once counted among the vaunted “nearly indestructible” in mixed martial arts, former WEC champion Urijah Faber has become human over the past few years.

Starting out with an impressive run to 21-1 to start his career, including capturing and defending the WEC featherweight championship, Faber has since gone 5-5 in the cage.

He lost the WEC belt to Mike Brown in late 2008 and has yet to return gold to his waist. Faber failed in three attempts to regain the belt in the WEC, and at UFC 149 on Saturday night in Calgary, was unsuccessful in his second attempt at a UFC belt.

Renan Barão utilized much the same strategy as his teammate, UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, to overcome Faber, using kicks and knees to slow his mobility en route to a unanimous decision.

That puts Faber’s failed attempts to regain a title at five. Most fighters rarely see that number of title fights even from the winning side of the equation, so where does Faber go from here?

“I don’t know. I fought a guy on a huge win streak and didn’t get it done. I fought Dominick (Cruz), who is considered the champ right now, as well,” Faber reflected at the UFC 149 post-fight press conference. “I’m right there, it’s just a matter of continuing to heal up and then reassess this thing.”

Link

Post #1   7/22/12 2:50:06PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Chips:
There's always Flyweight Urijah, bout doubt you would fight Joey B, so probably wouldn't make sense for you.

Post #2   7/22/12 2:56:16PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Faber's last ten fights:

Barao (Title) - L
Bowles - W
Cruz (Title) - L
Wineland - W
Mizugaki - W
Aldo (Title) - L
Assuncao - W
Brown (Title) - L
Pulver - W
Brown (Title) - L

Faber is 5/10 in his last ten fights.
All of his losses were title shots.
5 attempts at three different titles with no success.

Faber is in a rough spot because he is probably the #2 or #3 guy in both divisions but he does not have what it takes to beat the champs. There are other fighters waiting in line. It is their time. Faber should have a minimum of three fights in a division before being given another title shot.

Post #3   7/22/12 3:15:55PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Faber's last ten fights:

Barao (Title) - L
Bowles - W
Cruz (Title) - L
Wineland - W
Mizugaki - W
Aldo (Title) - L
Assuncao - W
Brown (Title) - L
Pulver - W
Brown (Title) - L

Faber is 5/10 in his last ten fights.
All of his losses were title shots.
5 attempts at three different titles with no success.

Faber is in a rough spot because he is probably the #2 or #3 guy in both divisions but he does not have what it takes to beat the champs. There are other fighters waiting in line. It is their time. Faber should have a minimum of three fights in a division before being given another title shot.

5 of his last 10 were Title shots? i knew it was high but fuck man, thats crazy. The UFC REALLY are fans of this guy

Post #4   7/22/12 3:23:28PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Chips:
With this path he is looking like a new version of Couture....I wouldn't let him fight again for the title unless the Champ changed or he went on a big streak....five or more in a row.

Post #5   7/22/12 9:05:17PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
faber is still top echelon and i dont see him going anywhere for quite a while. i think he will end up being one hell of a gatekeeper.

Post #6   7/22/12 11:49:28PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

faber is still top echelon and i dont see him going anywhere for quite a while. i think he will end up being one hell of a gatekeeper.

Faber and Koscheck have a lot in common

Post #7   7/23/12 6:18:53AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I kind of feel bad for faber. The guy just can't get the title back

Post #8   7/23/12 7:03:39AM