Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva's camp wants Luke Rockhold next, not Hector Lombard or Chris Weidman

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,169-606
Chips:
FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" broke down the situation, where they reported some comments that were recently made by Anderson Silva's management.

"One of Anderson Silva's managers said that one of the issues with Hector Lombard is he thinks he needs at least three more impressive wins in the UFC. He said that 85 percent of UFC fans don't even know who Hector Lombard is, who is of course making his Octagon debut on Saturday night."

"As for Chris Weidman, he said, 'Well, there's another great unknown fighter.' He doesn't see those match ups as being money making pay-per-view events."

"He did mention Luke Rockhold, who is the Strikeforce middleweight champion. Alas, Rockhold is contractually tied to Strikeforce, so that fight's not happening. We'll have to wait and see, but right now, the Anderson Silva camp not too excited about the options out there."

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/7/18/3166268/anderson-silvas-ufc-149-hector-lombard-chris-weidman-luke-rockhold-mma

Last edited 7/18/12 4:14PM server time by Card
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/18/12 4:14:07PM   

FastKnockout

----PAPERBOY----

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I can understand what they're saying about Lomard being a mainstream unknown but Rockhold is in the same situation since mainstream fans don't bother with anything other then the UFC. Weidman is the best opponent record wise. If Siva's camp is lookiing for money fights the only options are Bisping or Jon Jones.

Post #2   7/18/12 4:21:06PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
His verbal ducking skills are better than his reflexes against spinning back fists!

Post #3   7/18/12 4:26:47PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Fuck no Silvas camp. Lombard is well known from his TV exposure and if he beats Boetsch, which he wont, then the UFC can run a hype campaign.

Post #4   7/18/12 4:31:16PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Anderson sounds like he trying to influence who he fights.

Hey Anderson. THAT ISNT YOUR JOB

You fight who they put in front of you. This isn't the WWE. Fights are not dictated by ppv numbers 100% of the time. Yes this is a business but its a sport also. If somebody is possibly capable of knocking you off your pedestal than that's who you should be fighting. Your the champ act like it already

Post #5   7/18/12 4:40:44PM   

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:
More like Boxing than WWE. Hopefully UFC champions don't dictate who they want to fight like boxing or it will hurt the creditability of really being a Champion or just a paper champion.

Like Floyd Mayweather, very talented boxer. But he's really a champion and one of the greats P4P boxer? Or a paper champion who's fight camp picks his opponents who they know they can beat?

Note: I'm not that knowledge about boxing, only read about the issue about boxing being game where top boxers fight camps(or mangers) pick their boxer opponents.

Last edited 7/18/12 5:17PM server time by luckycharms

Post #6   7/18/12 5:14:36PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I really take issue with the part where they say they don't think the Weidman or Lombard fights would be big money PPV draws. That is for Zuffa and their marketing team to worry about.

This is almost as absurd as Shogun wanting a fighter with "name value" so he passes on Glover Teixeira for Brandon Vera. If a poll went up tonight on this site, asking if Weidman or Rockhold is a tougher fight for Silva, I doubt a single person would pick Rockhold.

It seems like everything Chael Sonnen said about Anderson Silva is looking more truthful by the day.

Post #7   7/18/12 5:33:22PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
If this isn't ducking, I'd sure like to know what it's all about, exactly. I mean, what it's REALLY about.

Post #8   7/18/12 5:45:51PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yep because everyone knows who Luke Rockhold is.

Post #9   7/18/12 6:05:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I really take issue with the part where they say they don't think the Weidman or Lombard fights would be big money PPV draws. That is for Zuffa and their marketing team to worry about.

This is almost as absurd as Shogun wanting a fighter with "name value" so he passes on Glover Teixeira for Brandon Vera. If a poll went up tonight on this site, asking if Weidman or Rockhold is a tougher fight for Silva, I doubt a single person would pick Rockhold.

It seems like everything Chael Sonnen said about Anderson Silva is looking more truthful by the day.

Except for the part about Chael beating him, right?

I don't think Anderson should be trying to pick his opponents either though.

On the one hand, I understand that he has nothing left to prove at MW. He's the most dominant MMA champion of all time. I get that he would want super fights and big money fights now.

On the other hand, if it's big fights that he's interested in then GSP or Jon Jones are pretty much his only options right now (or a permanent move to LHW?)

I think there are interesting challenges left for him at MW. But a fight with Weidman is sort of high risk low reward. Beating Weidman doesn't add much to his legacy. Losing to Weidman could be the beginning of his decline.

Calling out Rockhold is all sorts of strange. He's not any bigger a name than Weidman is. Weidman just got an impressive finish in a UFC main event. That has to count for something.

Post #10   7/18/12 6:10:10PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,703-1,488
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Fuck no Silvas camp. Lombard is well known from his TV exposure and if he beats Boetsch, which he wont, then the UFC can run a hype campaign. [/QUOTE

My boy Lombard is going to bury Boetsch

Post #11   7/18/12 6:23:20PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I think a guy who gets a % of the PPV should have some say in who they try to put in front of him.

Post #12   7/18/12 6:30:04PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Except for the part about Chael beating him, right?

I don't think Anderson should be trying to pick his opponents either though.

On the one hand, I understand that he has nothing left to prove at MW. He's the most dominant MMA champion of all time. I get that he would want super fights and big money fights now.

On the other hand, if it's big fights that he's interested in then GSP or Jon Jones are pretty much his only options right now (or a permanent move to LHW?)

I think there are interesting challenges left for him at MW. But a fight with Weidman is sort of high risk low reward. Beating Weidman doesn't add much to his legacy. Losing to Weidman could be the beginning of his decline.

Calling out Rockhold is all sorts of strange. He's not any bigger a name than Weidman is. Weidman just got an impressive finish in a UFC main event. That has to count for something.

Well said sir! And yeah, obviously Chael was wrong about being able to beat Silva I wasn't though, as I had Silva rd 1 KO

As for Silva wanting big money fights, he kind of backed himself into a corner saying he wouldn't fight Jones. I don't know if he has any interest in fighting GSP, but I am pretty sure GSP doesn't want any part of that. DFW gave up on that a while ago, it seems.

I could have sworn Silva also said he had no interest in Light Heavyweight, although that may have been in the "will you fight Jon Jones " context. It seems like Silva will spend the rest of his career fighting "lesser known" fighters if he is gonna be cherry picking.

Last edited 7/18/12 6:38PM server time by pmoney

Post #13   7/18/12 6:34:27PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,212
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Rockhold is very good, but slightly lesser version of Sonnen... but in the end, does it really matter? is there anyone at MW that can handle the Tarantula?

Post #14   7/18/12 6:43:08PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Chips:
Too bad he ain't getting Luke
Either be Chris or Hector

Post #15   7/18/12 6:56:00PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3