Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bruce Lee claimed as 'father' of Mixed Martial Arts

Print  
Who is the father of mixed martial arts?
Bruce Lee 12 38%
The Gracie family 12 38%
Polydamas of Skotoussa 0 0%
Edward William Barton-Wright 0 0%
Dana White 2 6%
Don King 6 19%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's an interesting question and we could debate it all day long.

Is Bruce Lee the "father" of MMA? I don't think so. Basically what he did was cross train in multiple traditional martial arts and make modifications that he thought made sense. It was revolutionary at a time of nationalism and secrecy among martial artists but I don't think there is any direct link between Lee and Modern MMA.

The Gracies are an easier case to make. None of the old school gracies ever became well rounded Mixed Martial Artists. For the most part, they stuck with GJJ. However, they were instrumental in starting the "style vs style" trend and the UFC which is obviously the big stage of MMA today. Even though they weren't trying to create this sport (UFCs 1-3 were basically Gracie family infomercials) I would argue that the sport wouldn't be alive today without them.

Post #16   7/18/12 6:22:28PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Yeah Lee trained in his ground game after meeting with Gene Lebell. Nobody I guess really knows what happened in those sparring sessions but i've heard alot.

For instance I heard Lebell had his way with Lee a lot and that's why Lee started to develop a ground game. Gene did say Lee kicked like a heavy though. For a guy his size that's pretty impressive. He also said once he lifted Bruce over his head and bruce then demanded that Gene put him down.
Gene said, Are you crazy? You'll kill me once i drop you!" (Or something along those lines)
I also saw on a youtube interview (wish I could find it now) that Norris said Bruce never thought a head kick could realisticly be incorperated into a fight but according to Norris Bruce adopted the idea after Chuck told him if your able to do it you should.

Another point I think needs some attention,and keep in mind i'm not saying Lee was directly responsible for this,but his influence may have had a point in this,is the later rise of the "McDojo's"

The reason why i'm bringing this up is not to shine a bad light upon Bruce but in fairness,if where going to talk about what he may have indirectly influenced in a positive fashion,then we need to also make note of what he may have indirectly influenced in a bad way.

Post #17   7/18/12 8:32:25PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Team Quest is the father of Mixed Martial Arts

Bruce couldn't stuff a take down.

Post #18   7/18/12 9:29:40PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Semantics.

No one is going to be the father. Period. The first Mixed Martial Artists that developed eclectic skillsets are the fathers, but theres dozens of them.

Bruce Lee being claimed as the "father" is a read between the lines type of title. They're simply paying him respect, for the philosophies he taught and their significance on getting people to expand beyond just one art.

Post #19   7/18/12 10:17:49PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2