Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ronda Rousey, Luke Rockhold, Other Strikeforce Fighters Reportedly Contractually Blocked From Moving To UFC; Updated With Dana White's Denial

Print  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dave Meltzer's latest podcast has a bit of shocking news that we'd not heard to this point when it comes to Strikeforce fighters. In the wake of last night's Strikeforce show that saw Luke Rockhold retain his Strikeforce middleweight title, Dave was discussing the idea of fighters in Strikeforce fighting the best in the UFC when he said the words "but that can't happen because of the deal with Showtime."

He went on to explain that this was the result of Showtime's paranoia over having Alistair Overeem, Nick Diaz and Dan Henderson lost to the UFC (all through slightly different circumstances):

"They made this list of guys and they said 'these are our guys' and, even if their contract expires, they can't move to UFC. That's part of their deal with keeping this alive. So these guys are stuck."

"He [Gilbert Melendez] couldn't go to UFC. He could go to Bellator if he wanted to, but he couldn't go to the UFC...

There's a list of guys, not everyone on Showtime is on the list, but Ronda Rousey is on the list, Gilbert Melendez is on the list, Luke Rockhold is on the list...

It's for as long as Showtime broadcasts MMA."

UPDATE: Meltzer clarified the Rousey situation:

I think it's important that we understand that this could be a misunderstanding, could be fact, could be somewhere in the middle. Meltzer has talked to people about it, it appears that if it is not the case, that some people think it is. Discuss it with that in mind.

SOURCE

UPDATE:

Well, that didn't take long. UFC president Dana White tweeted earlier today that he was on his way to Australia for the the first episode of TUF: UK vs. Australia. Not long after he got there, he responded to Dave Meltzer's report regarding a deal that Zuffa made with Showtime that will see a collection of Strikeforce fighters staying with the organization as long as the two organizations continue to work together. Cindy O on the UG asked Dana if it was true, and he responded by text:

"idk wtf melzers problem is! Has this guy lost his mind? That is absolutely not true!"

SOURCE

Last edited 7/16/12 12:09PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #1   7/15/12 8:35:39PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Dave Meltzer's latest podcast has a bit of shocking news that we'd not heard to this point when it comes to Strikeforce fighters. In the wake of last night's Strikeforce show that saw Luke Rockhold retain his Strikeforce middleweight title, Dave was discussing the idea of fighters in Strikeforce fighting the best in the UFC when he said the words "but that can't happen because of the deal with Showtime."

He went on to explain that this was the result of Showtime's paranoia over having Alistair Overeem, Nick Diaz and Dan Henderson lost to the UFC (all through slightly different circumstances):

"They made this list of guys and they said 'these are our guys' and, even if their contract expires, they can't move to UFC. That's part of their deal with keeping this alive. So these guys are stuck."

"He [Gilbert Melendez] couldn't go to UFC. He could go to Bellator if he wanted to, but he couldn't go to the UFC...

There's a list of guys, not everyone on Showtime is on the list, but Ronda Rousey is on the list, Gilbert Melendez is on the list, Luke Rockhold is on the list...

It's for as long as Showtime broadcasts MMA."

UPDATE: Meltzer clarified the Rousey situation:

I think it's important that we understand that this could be a misunderstanding, could be fact, could be somewhere in the middle. Meltzer has talked to people about it, it appears that if it is not the case, that some people think it is. Discuss it with that in mind.

SOURCE

If this is true I lost what little respect I had left for showtime.

Scumbag move if you ask me. Fighters should be able to go wherever they want when their contract expires

Post #2   7/15/12 8:50:38PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,400-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't think that is possible, what if the UFC was allowed to do that with their fighters ?

Post #3   7/15/12 10:44:35PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,439-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That'd be like FOX requiring all UFC HW title fights to be on FOX instead of PPV!

Wait....

Post #4   7/15/12 10:52:49PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:987-655
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I don't think that is possible, what if the UFC was allowed to do that with their fighters ?

i agree, if i had anything to do with zuffa i would shut down strikeforce and move all the fighters i wanted over to the UFC and if showtime didnt like it, sue me and let the battle begin

Post #5   7/15/12 11:05:58PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,207-1,505
Chips:
I was thinking that if the UFC would finally just assimilate Strikeforce once and for all they could have UFC events on Showtime which might take away the problem but the UFC's contract with FOX/FX/FUEL might not allow the UFC to be on Showtime to begin with. I think the allegations in this story are the main reason why the UFC hasn't ended Strikeforce and assimilated all of their fighters yet. They are temporarily stuck between a rock and a hard place. In time though this situation will be resolved one way or another and we will see Strikeforce die a long overdue death and we will also finally see the majority of the best fighters in the promotion fighting in the UFC where they rightfully belong. Patience...and hope.

Post #6   7/15/12 11:35:25PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,855-1,125
Chips:
He's right. I've known about this for months. Thats why Dana changed his mind about Gilbert fighting the winner of Frankie-Gray.

Showtime had a deal with Strikeforce. They're paying Strikeforce for a product. Zuffa bought them out and poached thier champs, hurting Strikeforces drawing power/ratings. Strikeforce isn't nearly as good as it used to be since Zuffa took a lot of their fighters away (in the middle on their contracts)

So when they renewed the contract (as Showtime had the option to do, from the previous contract) they included an option so Zuffa couldnt steal all their stars. They also pay Zuffa a lot less than what they used to since the product isn't as good. Considering the Showtime deal with Strikeforce, Zuffa shouldn't have even been able to buy Strikeforce. It's a conflict of interest.

And Zuffa has contract stipulations stating their fighters can't fight elsewhere. So Fox doesn't have to make these stipulations.

Edit: This is why Strikeforce isn't going anywhere for at least another year. And why Cross-promotion fights are impossible unless the UFC fighters go to Strikeforce, which ain't gonna happen.

Last edited 7/16/12 12:30AM server time by bustamante-AOKI

Post #7   7/16/12 12:28:22AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
So all the other guys left before this renewal between showtime and SF? Like Hendo, Shields, Diaz.

Did the fighters have any say in the matter? Like what fighter would agree to that.

But they can go to Bellator or some can, but none of them can go the UFC?

How much longer is the deal between Showtime and SF?

Is a fighter's contract expires with SF and he doesn't resign, he can go fight in other places except the UFC? Then how long before they can go the UFC, when the deal between ST & SF are up? Or never as long as there is a deal in place?

If Showtime is going to do something like this, then SF needs to bolster up their damn rosters.

Post #8   7/16/12 2:08:02AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Everyones saying this is bullshit but this is business. You dont sign a multi year contract for someone to foot your production bills and broadcast for you only to end up giving thrm no names whatsoever to work with.

Thats called fucking Showtime in their ass because you dislike them.

"we're gonna have you do another year and a half with us, but only with Tyron Woodley and Ryan Couture, and maybe we'll throw you a bone with cyborg.

Post #9   7/16/12 11:27:16AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
Yes, Dana denied it, but he hasn't explained how the situation really is.

Post #10   7/16/12 12:13:27PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,855-1,125
Chips:
yep. Gil was pretty much the only one left they were gonna bring over when negotiatins started.

Gilbert had no say and wasnt happy about it but stands by strikeforce now. Anyone whos followed his career knows he wasnt happy with a rubber match with Josh. He wants the UFC belt.

Deal is a year at least, probably with another renewal clause. Could go on for a while. Sucks for some fighters for sure.

The fighter can't just quit strikeforce and go to the UFC. Its to stop UFC from ending contracts to snatch up fighters. Don't know the details. UFC was greedy, they pillaged strikeforce. Thats why the contract was necessary.

This all happened around when it was announced that Strikeforce would no longer have a HW division. Just the tourney final, and 1 superfight, which later turned into 2.

Think it was sherdog or mma payout that broke it down.

Post #11   7/16/12 10:02:01PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
Didn't Gil resign with SF not long ago or something?

Showtime and everybody are dening this, which I believe.

Did give have a shot to leave SF, but resigned with them recently or something.

Post #12   7/16/12 10:52:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
Essentially Dave is kind of right and some wrong.

When showtime was working on a new deal with SF, they said that Rockhold and Gil had to stay and they couldn't be taken to the UFC.

From showtime's POV, why would they want to renew a deal with SF when most of it's fighters had been taken by the UFC.

So with the few stars SF had left and that were still under contract with SF, Showtime must have said something like "when those guys to stay in SF, b/c otherwise we aren't going to have any star power."

That probably prevented UFC from terminating the SF contracts of Rockhold and Melendez and then just signing them to new deals.

Part of the deal in the newal with Showtime was that Gil and Rockhold had to stay, so in a sense Dave is right there. BUT, they can leave and go the UFC when their contracts are up, not when the deal with Showtime and SF is up.

Now, IDK about Gil being able to go to Bellator when he still had a deal with SF.

So the part is wrong on, is the part where they can't go to the UFC until like the showtime/SF deal is up. Or he is saying as long as Showtime broadcasts any type of MMA.

Dave also mentions someone on the list explained this to him, but gave no name.

Last edited 7/17/12 12:22AM server time by twenty20dollars
2 total post edits

Post #13   7/17/12 12:17:12AM