Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chris Weidman firms up stance, wants next shot at UFC champ Anderson Silva

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by ghandikush

If Fitch or Shields were smart enough one of them would have done so within the last 2 years.

You think they could pull it off without getting hit?

Not completely but I think at least Fitch would survive the shots into a takedown, Shields very efficiently gets his takedowns and against explosive power wrestlers its not gonna work but against technical strikers he will prevail, at least at a heavier weight.

Post #16   7/14/12 9:45:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Pookie

Posted by ghandikush

If Fitch or Shields were smart enough one of them would have done so within the last 2 years.

Not completely but I think at least Fitch would survive the shots into a takedown, Shields very efficiently gets his takedowns and against explosive power wrestlers its not gonna work but against technical strikers he will prevail, at least at a heavier weight.

Shields isn't a good enough wrestler to take down Anderson.

Post #17   7/14/12 10:58:31PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,243-813
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Pookie

Posted by ghandikush

Shields isn't a good enough wrestler to take down Anderson.

I partly agree.

I do think shields could get Anderson down but I don't think he could keep him there. Also I think maybe after the 3rd takedown Anderson would have already figured out shields technique. Much like he did sonnen. Barring the shorts grab of course.

It'd be an interesting fight that is for sure

Post #18   7/14/12 11:07:16PM   

BossHog

MMA Regular

BossHog Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:
Shields couldnt get him down. No footwork and no set ups. Fitch would be interesting.

Post #19   7/15/12 12:37:52AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,649-899
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Everybody wants to fight Anderson Silva now more than ever not just because of the title but because they will make bank. Like everybody else, money is an issue and fighting Anderson Silva today is a life-altering payday.

I give Weidman a better chance than anybody else to win.

Post #20   7/15/12 12:55:09AM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

I give Weidman a better chance than anybody else to win.

i give tatsuya iwasaki that honor

Post #21   7/15/12 2:09:40AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
You beat Munoz...how bout at least one more win

Post #22   7/15/12 3:23:40AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

How many more contenders does someone need to fight before getting a title shot these days? 2 more fights and he will have fought half the Top 10. This is the same division that gave title shots to Leites, Maia, and Cote, right?

and Belfort without a win at MW in the UFC.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #23   7/15/12 12:29:10PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Completely forgot about this one.

Post #24   7/15/12 12:30:25PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Pookie

Posted by ghandikush

I think the range gives Fitch problems getting in, and his shoot isnt successful from a distance. Similar to the Gsp fight, the range in between the two is too great to overcome IMO. plus, gouveia kind of showed the limit to Fitch's chin was far less than Anderson can put out.

Post #25   7/15/12 2:53:49PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,054-613
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Bubbles

Completely forgot about this one.

In my opinion, I think this is more about promotion than talent. I agree he is the #1 contender based on talent, but really he has headlined this one card. He needs more exposure, or else they won't be able to hype the fight enough. I think they're waiting to see how Lombard does, then work on Silva's next fight. They could even pull rockhold over, both of those gentlemen have the champion accolade which would make an easy promotion...well easier. I want to see Weidman beat one more guy, and I don't really care who for the most part, just another win to get everybody outside of the dedicated fans to realize he is the real deal.

Post #26   7/15/12 2:54:48PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,234
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Might as well give him the shot...who else is there?

Granted I think Anderson will catch him on the feet...why not

Post #27   7/15/12 5:30:00PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Might as well give him the shot...who else is there?

Granted I think Anderson will catch him on the feet...why not

Because they want mega PPV cards before cashing Silva out.

Post #28   7/15/12 5:37:34PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:530-390
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Fitch and Shields both need to stay at 170 and wait for GSP to get knocked off or injured badly enough to retire. Anderson isn't a small 185 and would run through both of those guys. I think the Weidman fight is interesting, but what if Weidman looses? Then you've got a young guy who just got pushed all the way to the back of the list and probably has to wait another 4 years to get a title shot again. I say give him a few more fights and let him get used to the big stage before you throw him into one of the biggest possible fights he could ever have. I think Lombard is a legitimate option if he can get by Boetsch. The guy is on a 20 fight win streak. I know the competition isn't the same as what most UFC guys are facing, but 20 in a row is impressive. If nothing else let Weidman fight Lombard if Lombard gets by Boetsch. All that being said, I don't mean to take away from Weidman at all because he absolutely wrecked a very game Munoz, and manhandled a national champion wrestler which is impressive all by itself.

Post #29   7/15/12 7:33:09PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Give the guy his shot.

He's earned it in my opinion.

More importantly he's poses some really interesting challenges to Anderson Silva. The worst thing that could happen is that Anderson would wreck him. But Weidman is still fresh enough that he could with stand a good beating and still have a great career ahead of him. Some high level experience and a humbling loss could even do him some good.

Post #30   7/18/12 1:10:22AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2