Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chris Weidman firms up stance, wants next shot at UFC champ Anderson Silva

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Chris Weidman asked for his fight with Mark Munoz, and things seemed to go not bad. Not bad at all.

Now he wants another fight – an even bigger one. And he believes if given a crack at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, he'll shock the world.

"I asked for (Munoz), and the UFC was willing to give me the fight I wanted," Weidman on Friday told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "Mark Munoz was probably the worst matchup for me on paper. He's a wrestler and he has powerful striking. But I took the test, and I was able to pass it."

Link

Post #1   7/14/12 1:50:24PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I liked Weidman before Wednesday, but now I am really rooting for him! He is saying and doing all the right things. He has been dominant thus far in his career, in my opinion. He hasn't even looked like he has been in trouble in any of his UFC fights. I'm buying him as #1 contender and a legit threat to Anderson's reign as champion. I'd like to see him take on a striker like Belcher or Belfort first, but if he gets the shot straight away, I wouldn't be upset.

Post #2   7/14/12 2:37:22PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I liked Weidman before Wednesday, but now I am really rooting for him! He is saying and doing all the right things. He has been dominant thus far in his career, in my opinion. He hasn't even looked like he has been in trouble in any of his UFC fights. I'm buying him as #1 contender and a legit threat to Anderson's reign as champion. I'd like to see him take on a striker like Belcher or Belfort first, but if he gets the shot straight away, I wouldn't be upset.

I wouldn't be mad either although I still think Anderson takes it

Post #3   7/14/12 2:38:43PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Anderson's day's are numbered. He won' be able to duck the All-American forever.

Post #4   7/14/12 3:10:57PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I think Weidman needs to take on more contenders before he gets fed to Silva.

Post #5   7/14/12 3:59:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Post #6   7/14/12 3:59:29PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Anderson's day's are numbered. He won' be able to duck the All-American forever.

So Anderson is ducking him? How?

Post #7   7/14/12 4:11:07PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I was thinking along these lines before the Munoz fight. But now I reckon give him the shot. If he loses, he'll still have enough hype to fight his way back for another chance within a couple of years. And he will know where he needs to improve.

Post #8   7/14/12 4:16:53PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by warglory

I was thinking along these lines before the Munoz fight. But now I reckon give him the shot. If he loses, he'll still have enough hype to fight his way back for another chance within a couple of years. And he will know where he needs to improve.

I'm with you. Munoz and Maia are good enough for me these days. I don't know why everyone keeps pointing to Bisping as the ultimate litmus test. Weidman's on a 5 fight win streak with 2 of those wins coming over Top 10 guys. One of those wins was in a stunning fashion.

I don't think a fight with Bisping answers anything we don't already know about Weidman. Bisping might be a more well-rounded fighter than anybody Weidman has fought, but I don't necessarily think that a win over Bisping makes you any more ready for Anderson Silva than a win over Munoz.

How many more contenders does someone need to fight before getting a title shot these days? 2 more fights and he will have fought half the Top 10. This is the same division that gave title shots to Leites, Maia, and Cote, right?

Last edited 7/14/12 5:10PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   7/14/12 4:49:08PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,433-817
Chips:
they should really have weidman/belcher & stann/bisping on the same card & let the winners fight to see who gets a shot at the MW belt.

meanwhile, Anderson will be freed up to fight the winner of Jones/Henderson at 205

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #10   7/14/12 4:52:48PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by frizzzlecake

I think that's the new meme. Everyone Anderson fights from now on, he's been ducking for years.

Post #11   7/14/12 5:12:56PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

they should really have weidman/belcher & stann/bisping on the same card & let the winners fight to see who gets a shot at the MW belt.

meanwhile, Anderson will be freed up to fight the winner of Jones/Henderson at 205

oooohhh how i hope that second statement would come true... but i think if weidman beat belcher there is no reason to fight someone else for a title shot. with they way they handle out title shots today. maia, munoz, and belcher all in a row is way more than needed. i wish it was harder to get a title but it is what it is. i would like to see bisping vs vitor mainly so lisping can disappear again.

Post #12   7/14/12 5:43:20PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,703-1,488
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
The Champ is Here (Jon Jones walk down music)

Post #13   7/14/12 5:48:16PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by frizzzlecake

I think that's the new meme. Everyone Anderson fights from now on, he's been ducking for years.

I sure hope not. I think the UFC will be ducking Weidman vs Silva when so many money headliners could be had with him.

Heed my words, Weidman if given a direct fight with Silva will lnp all night long and win. If Fitch or Shields were smart enough one of them would have done so within the last 2 years.

Post #14   7/14/12 6:06:17PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

If Fitch or Shields were smart enough one of them would have done so within the last 2 years.

You think they could pull it off without getting hit?

Post #15   7/14/12 6:16:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2