Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Forrest Griffin 6th fighter to get TRT exemption in Nevada

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In advance of his UFC 148 rubber match with Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin obtained a therapeutic use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy, according to Pro MMA Radio host Larry Pepe.

Link

Post #1   7/13/12 3:47:19PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Booooooooooooooooooooooo_Radley

Post #2   7/13/12 3:58:17PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Is the exemption really necessary when soon the majority of fighters will have the TRT exemption.

Post #3   7/13/12 4:02:32PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,155-1,264
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
After last weekend I never thought I could be any lower on Forest but now this. Dude may be a hall of famer but man oh man has his fall from grace been BRUTAL.

Post #4   7/13/12 4:02:59PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think we're reaching a point where significant studies need to be done to figure out whats causing it.

If its weight cutting maybe its time we change the way weigh-ins are handled. Maybe do them right before the fight or do a 2nd right before the fight to assess how much weight the fighter put on in the 24 hours.

Whatever the cause, its alarming that so many top fighters all seem to be effected by a condition that doesn't seem prevalent in any other professional sport or in civilians of similar age groups.

Post #5   7/13/12 4:05:25PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I think it made him look slower

Post #6   7/13/12 4:12:29PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I think we're reaching a point where significant studies need to be done to figure out whats causing it.

If its weight cutting maybe its time we change the way weigh-ins are handled. Maybe do them right before the fight or do a 2nd right before the fight to assess how much weight the fighter put on in the 24 hours.

Whatever the cause, its alarming that so many top fighters all seem to be effected by a condition that doesn't seem prevalent in any other professional sport or in civilians of similar age groups.

You sure it is not prevalent in other sports? Maybe the condition is prevalent but TRT exemptions are not?

I'm only questioning because I have no idea what sort of TRT-related stuff goes down in other sports, but I would love to be informed.

Post #7   7/13/12 4:21:20PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

After last weekend I never thought I could be any lower on Forest but now this. Dude may be a hall of famer but man oh man has his fall from grace been BRUTAL.

He never had grace and the only reason he will ever have a shot at the HOF is because he and Bonnars fight on TUF, so Bonnar should be in HOF as well.

Post #8   7/13/12 4:25:25PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

He never had grace and the only reason he will ever have a shot at the HOF is because he and Bonnars fight on TUF, so Bonnar should be in HOF as well.

That's harsh. Forrest derailed the Shogun hype train coming in from Pride, and he took the belt from a prime Rampage (though one whose weaknesses hadn't yet been exposed in the UFC). His post-fight egresses have been immature and classless, and his general performance since the Rashad fight has been middling to inconsistent, but he's done some things in the sport beyond TUF that helped push it forward.

I love Bonnar as a fighter and a personality, I'll always watch his fights, but let's not forget he was tapped for steroids around the time of Forrest's ascent, and he's never come close to beating champion-caliber competition. Will he get into the HOF? Maybe, but at this point, TUF would be his crown jewel.

Last edited 7/13/12 5:48PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   7/13/12 5:48:12PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Wallass

Disagree. Griffin won the belt, unlike Bonnar, against Rampage who was soaring coming off a career highlight against Chuck. Griffin might be hated now, but at one point in time he was a fan favorite, then you have the whole TUF finale against Bonnar thing. He deserves the HOF no doub. Bonnar, whose best win was against Keith Jardine, not so much.

EDIT: And do we really feel sorry for what he did to Tito? Tito, the same guy who stood outside the cage yelling ptofanity during Coleman's last interviw? Come on, now.

Last edited 7/13/12 6:10PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   7/13/12 6:04:19PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
It's all cause of weight cutting. Just wait and see how ugly this starts to become...

Post #11   7/13/12 6:30:49PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

You sure it is not prevalent in other sports? Maybe the condition is prevalent but TRT exemptions are not?

I'm only questioning because I have no idea what sort of TRT-related stuff goes down in other sports, but I would love to be informed.

It could just be MMA fighters are the only ones getting exemptions but If there were other professional athletes using the treatment and suffering from the condition I would assume we'd know about them by now.

As long as the fighters testosterone level is normal when they fight I don't see anything wrong with the treatment but if its a condition specific to fighters then I think it would be in the sports best interest to find out why.

Post #12   7/13/12 6:35:53PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Free Tibet!

Post #13   7/13/12 6:48:32PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Wallass

Disagree. Griffin won the belt, unlike Bonnar, against Rampage who was soaring coming off a career highlight against Chuck. Griffin might be hated now, but at one point in time he was a fan favorite, then you have the whole TUF finale against Bonnar thing. He deserves the HOF no doub. Bonnar, whose best win was against Keith Jardine, not so much.

EDIT: And do we really feel sorry for what he did to Tito? Tito, the same guy who stood outside the cage yelling ptofanity during Coleman's last interviw? Come on, now.

Then everyone who won a belt and beat 2 top guys ever should be in the HOF

Matt Serra will see him there.

Post #14   7/13/12 7:54:12PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
With the amount of fighters getting cleared for TRT, you would think this would be rampid amongst the "normal" community with being useful and beneficial...unless fighters reaaaaaalllly don't medically need it...but that couldn't be...could it?

Post #15   7/13/12 9:02:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2