Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

“A Lotta Late!” UFC Pres Dana White Critical of Munoz vs. Weidman’s Late Stoppage

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If the argument is this is "better or worse" than that, it's clearly a subjective argument. No empirical evidence is required to make a valid subjective claim.

Post #31   7/14/12 12:30:51AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

The early stoppage argument only applies to a record. No late stoppage has ever directly translated to a death and in the modern era I believe that also applies to major injuries.

When guys continue to get pounded on we will see concussions and broken jaws, noone ever got speared or paralysed after losing consciousness.

Again, I can suppose theres no definitive way to make one better than the other, but I would certainly take a broken jaw for a chance to come back in a fight. That is just me.

An injury that has you out for 6 months is pretty significant, and a concussion can be serious enough to be career ending and an injury that can plague you for the rest of your life.

How would that fight being stopped early be worse than that?

A fighter might prefer a late stoppage to an early one, but as far as which one is worse for the sport I don't think there is any question that late stoppages are far worse for its image.

Post #32   7/14/12 1:07:12AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by ghandikush

The early stoppage argument only applies to a record. No late stoppage has ever directly translated to a death and in the modern era I believe that also applies to major injuries.

When guys continue to get pounded on we will see concussions and broken jaws, noone ever got speared or paralysed after losing consciousness.

Again, I can suppose theres no definitive way to make one better than the other, but I would certainly take a broken jaw for a chance to come back in a fight. That is just me.

An injury that has you out for 6 months is pretty significant, and a concussion can be serious enough to be career ending and an injury that can plague you for the rest of your life.

How would that fight being stopped early be worse than that?

A fighter might prefer a late stoppage to an early one, but as far as which one is worse for the sport I don't think there is any question that late stoppages are far worse for its image.

A lot of fighters get concussions in fights, MMA is known for that because of punches with smaller gloves. Can you give me an example of when a SINGLE concussion has ended a career, I hear about guys recieving 4-6 concussions and it being a problem but Gary Goodridge hasnt exactly died.

Post #33   7/14/12 1:22:34PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

A lot of fighters get concussions in fights, MMA is known for that because of punches with smaller gloves. Can you give me an example of when a SINGLE concussion has ended a career, I hear about guys recieving 4-6 concussions and it being a problem but Gary Goodridge hasnt exactly died.

Rudy Tomjanovich's career was ended with one punch from Kermit Washington. Head injuries forced him to retire.

Post #34   7/14/12 2:40:46PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

He may not have died, but all you have to do is listen to him speak and you can clearly see that all the years of abuse have drastically effected Goodridge's brain.

There have been numerous NHL, NFL, some MLB and even Soccer players who've had their careers ended thanks to concussions.

Muhammed Ali has Parkinsons thanks to the head trauma he took over the years, and numerous other fighters are showing the lasting effects of concussions as well.

Does someone HAVE to die for you to admit that these issues are serious? Because I believe that a death at the highest level of this sport, especially now when its still not even accepted across this continent, would be disastrous for its growth.

Post #35   7/14/12 3:17:08PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ghandikush

Rudy Tomjanovich's career was ended with one punch from Kermit Washington. Head injuries forced him to retire.

The ref stopped that one just fine, not too early, not too late.

Post #36   7/14/12 3:28:47PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ghandikush

The ref stopped that one just fine, not too early, not too late.

He was definitely out.

Post #37   7/14/12 3:36:21PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It was late but in defense it seemed as if Munoz went limp for a second,than sprang back up and defended as best he could. I think it was a late stop but ,I guess that's just the way it went.

Post #38   7/14/12 5:32:54PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by ghandikush

He may not have died, but all you have to do is listen to him speak and you can clearly see that all the years of abuse have drastically effected Goodridge's brain.

There have been numerous NHL, NFL, some MLB and even Soccer players who've had their careers ended thanks to concussions.

Muhammed Ali has Parkinsons thanks to the head trauma he took over the years, and numerous other fighters are showing the lasting effects of concussions as well.

Does someone HAVE to die for you to admit that these issues are serious? Because I believe that a death at the highest level of this sport, especially now when its still not even accepted across this continent, would be disastrous for its growth.

Points made, got nothing left to offer.

Post #39   7/14/12 8:33:45PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3