Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ultimate Fighting Lacks Sweetness

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Having spent the better part of my writing career chasing the real-life Rockys and the other assorted crooked-nosed, "Guys and Dolls" characters who live under boxing's big tent, I am an incurable, die-hard lover of the Sweet Science.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/27/07 9:58:09AM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I live in St louis and have actually enjoyed this guy on sports radio. Wjile his article doesnt come out and say it, the tone implies that MMA is somehow barbaric and boxing is pure. Sad. Wrote him a email dont think i will here back.

Post #2   5/27/07 10:38:11AM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
I have to disagree. The decline of boxing has little to do with the rise of MMA. Studies have shown that most boxing fans are older (50+) males while most MMA fans are between 18-34, mostly male but with a larger percentage of female viewers than boxing. The viewers that MMA's attracting are a different set of people than the ones watching boxing. If a boxing fan is fed up with boxing, he doesn't say "Ah, well, I guess I'll have to settle for the UFC then." MMA has succeeded on its own, for various reasons, not simply because boxing sucks.

Post #3   5/27/07 12:55:23PM   

MMAFever

Learning to Sprawl

MMAFever Avatar

Career:142-74
Chips:
"Watching Sugar Ray Robinson practice his craft was like watching a brilliant dancer with a bad attitude. Watching an ultimate fighter practice his craft is like watching a bad Patrick Swayze movie."

Bryan Burwell is the Tool of the Day!

Typical response from someone who is not part of the MMA fan demographic and very sad that a professional journalist would share such an ignorant view of mixed martial arts in comparison to his overwhelming bias towards boxing.

Besides, Roadhouse was a bad ass Patrick Swayze movie!!!

Post #4   5/27/07 3:30:54PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Great, another guy trying to glorify the past, by putting down the present.

BTW, think he knows "gouging" is illegal? Pffft, another uninformed "journalist"...

Post #5   5/27/07 4:06:56PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
yeah, watching two people punch each other to braindeath is much more "sweet" then watching a wrestler throwing punches to set up his take-down, while the other pulls guard and pulls out a gogoplata.

You know, MMA is soo ugly compared to boxing

Post #6   5/27/07 4:15:14PM   

HighKick07

Learning to Sprawl

HighKick07 Avatar

Career:778-476
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
I dont see why u would come to an mma site and talk crap.Boxing had its glory days but said to say, Do you know who the champs are anymore.There nobody's that lack skill and decisive maneuvers.It's like sitting in detention watching jab after jab then backducking, and holding for 3 minutes.MMa is designed to be quick and to show the differences in styles.Its not meant to go for 45 minutes and if it does it would virtually be a boring stalemate.Sometimes u see who's style is better in 10 seconds or 5 minutes into the match.So i would disagree that boxing is more "sweet" and that mma is lackluster.Plus i love HighKicks. LOL. If ur sure that ultimate fighting is not "sweet." GET OUT!!!!!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 5/27/07 5:41PM server time by HighKick07
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/27/07 5:39:07PM   

Ravener

Learning to Sprawl

Career:86-51
Chips:
Yet another boxing sportswriter takes us on a trip down memory lane to the days when boxing was relevant. UFC isn't the cause of boxing's failing popularity, it's the result. Sure, MMA has its own target demographic, but it's certainly benefitting from legions of disillusioned and disenfranchised boxing fans as well. The trouble boxing is in now is a product of its own doing, no amount of belittling or trying to marginalize MMA is going to cure the problems that plague boxing now.

It's just much easier to point the blame at another sport and criticize the audience for "not appreciating the science" than it is to actually address the issues that have people switching over from boxing to anything else. This head in the sand mentality by 'the establishment' worked wonders for NASCAR too. The Indy-centric writers were adamant that nobody wanted to watch illiterate hillbillies make left turns for 3 hours, since the Italians and French had it down to a "science". Let the writers say what they will, PPV money talks in a way that all the newspaper bashing in the world can't counter.

Post #8   5/27/07 5:54:51PM