Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC on Fuel 4 results - Weidman TKOs Munoz off a perfect standing elbow

Print  
Posted By Message

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Full card results in article link

As far as statements are concerned, Chris Weidman’s could not have been more profound.

The fast-rising middleweight contender stopped Mark Munoz on a horrific second-round standing elbow and follow-up ground punches in the UFC on Fuel TV 4 headliner on Wednesday at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Weidman (9-0, 5-0 UFC) polished off the most significant victory of his MMA career 1:37 into round two.

Post #1   7/11/12 11:15:42PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
My thoughts -

Chris Weidman looked quick and decisive against Mark Munoz, who I feel has been overextending himself in a campaign for a title shot. Any fighter in the UFC should be going for the belt, yes, but I've never felt Munoz was champion material. Solid wrestler and puncher with an awesome attitude and one of the best nicknames in MMA? Absolutely, and there's a lot of opponents I'd watch him fight - Rick Franklin, Cung Le, and so on.

I don't know if Weidman's ready for the belt, but his ground game was super smooth and suffocating in R1. The takedowns were not athletic as much as they were well timed and technically correct. Once on the ground, Weidman demonstrated ground control through constant passes and submission attempts - definitely smart against a wrestler.

And in R2, well, that elbow was perfectly timed. He waited in the pocket just long enough for Munoz to plant his feet and commit, and the slip of the punch ensured he took no damage. Impressive punches on the ground as well, as they were accurate and leveraged Weidman's long frame for considerable damage.

I do think the stoppage was a bit late, but I think it was more of giving Munoz every reasonable chance in a top-ranked fight. He seemed lucid and spirited in the post-fight interview. So while the stoppage could've been better, I understand where Rosenthal was coming from.

One thing I noticed during the fight is just how big of a MW Weidman is. We're talking about a guy who's very similar to Chris Carmozzi, yet one who moves much more quickly and smoothly. I don't think he'll outmuscle the MW gorillas like Sonnen or Boetsch, but he's got a nice mix of size, speed, and technique.

Anyhow, Weidman followed it up in the post-fight that his elbow was inspired by Jon Jones' performance against Rashad, and that's the mark of a smart, humble, well-trained fighter.

So if Silva's not next for Weidman, you may ask me, who is? Ideally, I'd like to see him fight Bisping, Belcher, or Belfort ASAP in a 5 rounder. Bisping's combos and ground escapes would test what we've seen from Weidman so far, not to mention his awesome cardio if it gets into championship rounds. Belcher is a huge MW with a very good defensive ground game, and though he has good power on the feet, I feel his technique is more refined and tighter than Munoz's. We all know what Belfort can do with his hands, and his ground game and takedown defense are rather good as well.

Barring one of those guys, I think it's vital to keep Weidman active, so we might look at a matchup between two winners on the card tonight and set him against Francis Carmont. Limitless is a physical specimen with a diverse striking game, and though I think he's not quite the challenge I'd prefer against Weidman at this point, I think it's more important to pick up more minutes in the octagon.

Random thoughts -

--James Te Huna did what he needed to do against Joey Beltran, landing over 70 shots in the first frame (a new LHW record). Though his pace slowed considerably in the later rounds, he took advantage of Beltran's middling TDD and definitely got the better of him in the final standup exchange. And frankly, he did well after breaking his hand and foot before R2. Minotoro Nogueira would answer a lot of questions (and possibly put him away, because his hands are superb as well), and Fabio Maldonado would be awesome fun on the feet. For Joey Beltran, he remains a guy who'll be a great opponent for a younger up-and-comer whose heart or chin may not have been tested yet.

--The Aaron Simpson that showed up tonight might've been outworked by Jon Fitch, so it's fortunate for him that he got a tuneup fight. Still, he persevered and continued to deliver damage despite being tired in R3, and if the weight cut to 170 forces him to improve his cardio, I think he'll be a good opponent for most.

--Francis Carmont surprised me a bit, partly because I wasn't super sold on this guy before the fight. He rolled with a very strong and active (not to mention Rocky Balboa tough - did you see that front kick?) Karlos Vemola and locked in a nice little choke. He could fight a lot of guys at 185, outside of the aforementioned Weidman. If that doesn't work out, both Rich Franklin and Costa Phillippou are coming off recent wins.

--Andrew Craig landed a sweet head kick on Rafael Natal. To this point, I feel like Natal's been on borrowed time, relying on takedowns and a control-centric strategy to avoid standing damage (especially in light of his dodgy cardio).

--Damacio Page might be overtaking Chael Sonnen as the poster child of getting choked out in fights. Super tough, but 4 in a row is a problem.

Last edited 7/11/12 11:25PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/11/12 11:23:11PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
75 points and coming in at #97...Thanks Weidman

Post #3   7/12/12 12:00:18AM   

BossHog

MMA Regular

BossHog Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:
Have been hyping Weidman as a blue-chip guy for a while, but I never went was far as to put him on the level as Jon Jones as a prospect.

This fight changed my mind. Some fights you see a guy and you can just tell he his in complete and total control. Very, very impressive win.

I think Anderson Silva should be worried. Chael laid the groundwork and now a guy with more skill than Chael is coming in to finish the job. Would love to see Weidman be the guy to take the torch he seems like a cool dude.

Post #4   7/12/12 12:07:00AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:749-413
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
weidman vs belcher set it up ! winner should get a guaranteed title shot. i don't think bisping even deserves a fight with weidman with him coming off a loss to chael, and also because he is a total wanker.

Post #5   7/12/12 2:31:19AM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Weidman vs belcher, franklin vs bisping, belfort vs le, terry martin vs anderson silva jk lol sinosic vs anderson silva

Post #6   7/12/12 2:48:34AM   

I-GOT-THIS-PICK

Standup Guy

I-GOT-THIS-PICK Avatar

Career:1,692-963
Chips:
I know 1 thing Josh Rosenthal let Weidman beat the brakes off of Munoz ,he should of stop the fight after the third punch on the ground, Instead he let him punch him another 15 times. Great fight for Weidman though awesome elbow

Post #7   7/12/12 3:58:52AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,205-723
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

. i don't think bisping even deserves a fight with weidman with him coming off a loss to chael, and also because he is a total wanker.

Really.

Dirty Blue

Post #8   7/12/12 5:29:19AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:749-413
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by aussiemma

. i don't think bisping even deserves a fight with weidman with him coming off a loss to chael, and also because he is a total wanker.

Really.

yes really , you don't think bisping is a wanker ?? he is definately up there, but he had his chance against sonnen and lost. he needs to build momentum up again if he is to be considered in the title talks...did i mention he's a wanker.....

Post #9   7/12/12 7:26:53AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Chips:

Posted by BossHog

Have been hyping Weidman as a blue-chip guy for a while, but I never went was far as to put him on the level as Jon Jones as a prospect.

This fight changed my mind. Some fights you see a guy and you can just tell he his in complete and total control. Very, very impressive win.

I think Anderson Silva should be worried. Chael laid the groundwork and now a guy with more skill than Chael is coming in to finish the job. Would love to see Weidman be the guy to take the torch he seems like a cool dude.

Agreed. Seems down to earth. Not sure if I want him to fight one more guy before Silva or not? He has all the tools to give A. Silva problems though.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #10   7/12/12 7:42:42AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

I know 1 thing Josh Rosenthal let Weidman beat the brakes off of Munoz ,he should of stop the fight after the third punch on the ground, Instead he let him punch him another 15 times. Great fight for Weidman though awesome elbow

Amen that was awful he let that go so long

Post #11   7/12/12 9:47:10AM   

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,272-652
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:

Post #12   7/12/12 10:41:54AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by Card

WHAT ARE YOU DOING JOSH!?

Post #13   7/12/12 12:10:14PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Weidman needs one or a couple more top guys before anderson

Post #14   7/12/12 12:26:32PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I was telling my brother the yesterday that before Weidman challenges Silva I would like to see him fight Bisping first Bisping really will be a decent test in terms of certain types of skills he shares with Siva, though he isn't as gifted a fighter as Silva is with them. Bisping is a good striker who has very good footwork, much like Anderson, and he does an excellent job of using angles with his striking attack, which are things I'd like to see Weidman deal with. Plus Bisping has pretty good TDD, so I'm curious to see how Weidman would deal with the possibility of not being able to get the guy down and/or hold him down when he gets him there. Bisping is an excellent test for him if you ask me.

Post #15   7/12/12 9:38:47PM