Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Carlos Condit Waiting for GSP, Not Offered Any Other UFC Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You’d think fans would be excited about St-Pierre vs. Condit, but that hasn’t been the case. The only thing Condit hears these days are complaints: Why isn’t he fighting Johny Hendricks? Why isn’t he defending the belt against Martin Kampmann? Interim championships are created so that a belt can be defended while the true champion is out of action, so why is Condit sitting on the shelf until St-Pierre comes back?

“The bottom line is that the UFC has not offered me another fight. I haven’t been contacted, nor has my management been contacted about fighting anybody else other than Georges St-Pierre,” Condit told Bleacher Report in an exclusive interview during last week’s UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas. “So Georges is the guy I want. And if the UFC wants that fight, I’m content to wait for him to be ready. If it’s in November, of course.”

SOURCE

Post #1   7/11/12 4:50:51PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Condit still says he'd rather face Kampmann over Hendricks if GSP fight falls through.

I really hope that Kampmann doesn't get it if the GSP fight falls through.

Post #2   7/11/12 5:26:04PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Condit still says he'd rather face Kampmann over Hendricks if GSP fight falls through.

Why?

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #3   7/11/12 5:26:32PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Chips:

I agree. Kampmann was being soundly beaten by Alves and being nearly decapitated by Ellenberger before the MMA gods decided that his opponents needed to start gassing. He needs to improve his striking defense, because I really can not see Condit having any trouble finding a home for his nasty power.

Either way, I just hope St. Pierre fights again soon. He is still one of the three best fighters on the planet and the twilight of his best years is being spent working on that unfortunate injury.

Last edited 7/11/12 5:33PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/11/12 5:32:40PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
I don't think Kampmann should be able to leapfrog Hendricks just b/c Condit wants to fight him rather than Hendricks.

Post #5   7/11/12 5:45:40PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
so whats the point of an interim title if it is never defend, I don't remember one point where they guy defended then faced the real champ to get the real belt (outside of arlovski getting his switched to the title his mir was out a while). why not just say what it is, a number one contender fight.

but why the hell hasn't a another fight been offered? he fought feb 4 and now will chill till November. so a 9 month layoff, would make sense if condit was hurt but he is not so what the hell.

Post #6   7/11/12 7:53:02PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by Manak

so whats the point of an interim title if it is never defend, I don't remember one point where they guy defended then faced the real champ to get the real belt (outside of arlovski getting his switched to the title his mir was out a while). why not just say what it is, a number one contender fight.

but why the hell hasn't a another fight been offered? he fought feb 4 and now will chill till November. so a 9 month layoff, would make sense if condit was hurt but he is not so what the hell.

I think it might have happened with Big Nog and Couture, although I can't remember off the top of my head.

Since Condit had a bunch of opponent switches and what not, the UFC gave him the option to wait for GSP b/c of all the mess they had made.

Post #7   7/11/12 7:59:21PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by lohmann
I agree. Kampmann was being soundly beaten by Alves and being nearly decapitated by Ellenberger before the MMA gods decided that his opponents needed to start gassing. He needs to improve his striking defense, because I really can not see Condit having any trouble finding a home for his nasty power.

At this point, it looks like it'll be most likely addressed through coaching, not training. After the Ellenberger fight, Kampmann noted he hadn't been smacked around enough in the locker room before the fight - obviously not enough to hurt him, but enough to wake him up and get him in fight mode. It's a bit like Forrest Griffin.

Kampmann is extremely well trained, but his style is I think how it's gonna be, that Dutch kickboxing stance with a more upright head than a boxer's that relies more on footwork and natural toughness than head movement. At this point in his career, I think it'll be too drastic of a change to expect.

Anyhow, all it takes is Ray Sefo to remember (or Kampmann to remind him) to get his guy in fight mode at the correct time, which is not after the opening bell. And if that can happen, I think it'll be a very competitive fight because Kampmann does have good speed and footwork when he chooses to use 'em.

Post #8   7/11/12 10:28:40PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Chips:
I think Kampmann can beat Condit in the exact same manner as last time.

Post #9   7/11/12 11:09:29PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If champ u should defend. Waiting 10 months for a guy is bullshit

Post #10   7/12/12 12:21:17AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,119-599
Chips:
I know the way the order works and it won't happen yet. But I know Rory MacDonald would like to beat up on Condit. Rory's steadily improving and I could see this rematch happening after GSP handles his business with Condit and Rory handles his with BJ. With a Condit loss to GSP and a Rory win over BJ those two guys would be ranked really close in the division and I could see this rematch taking place next year some time. Rory wins next time IMO.

Post #11   7/12/12 12:41:16AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Since Condit had a bunch of opponent switches and what not, the UFC gave him the option to wait for GSP b/c of all the mess they had made.

I do not know all of the facts, but I remember talk about Condit having the option to fight or wait like you mentioned. If that is true, "the option" means Condit was able to wait for GSP or defend the interim belt. Obviously he chose to wait for GSP So, no wonder why he has not received any offers.

But, I do not know the facts and the subject includes GSP so it really interests me very little.

Post #12   7/12/12 7:37:41AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I never had a problem with Condit up to the point he decided to take the fight for the interim title and then sit out!
Thats a chump move in my book, the title he holds is there to keep the devision flowing and he basically just stalled! The UFC may as well just have kept GSP as the champ and had a 4 way number 1 contender elimination tournament.
He'll get beat no matter who he faces, he was gifted his decision against Kampman and he'd get beat by everyone else mentioned in this article.

Carlos Condit, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #13   7/12/12 12:28:33PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Sorry but isn't the point of an interim title to prevent long waits between title fights? Now the belt really has no meaning

Post #14   7/12/12 3:23:40PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:684-338
Chips:
I love how Condit is blaming his waiting-game on UFC. "They haven't offered me another fight". That's right, Carlos, when you say you want to wait for GSP, they're not going to make offers that you're going to find some reason to turn down anyway. lol

I don't get it. Other guys proactively call people out, or tell Dana, "I want to fight!" (eg. Jones coming off his short vacation, eager for more action in the octagon and telling Dana he wanted another fight soon). I have no doubt that if Condit had truly been open to defending the interim belt, there would have been options made for him...

His conservative stance of "I will *entertain the idea* of taking another fight" if GSP's return is pushed past November is another example of a passive move.

Bottom line is that he needs to be defending that belt. As someone else already mentioned, it's a bottleneck behind another bottleneck. They need to get some new blood moving through the ranks sooner than later. I don't see any legit excuses for a guy sidelining himself this way, especially as an interim-belt holder in a division that's thick with talent, with guys that are hungry to get to the top.

Post #15   7/12/12 3:51:36PM