Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Alex Caceres separating himself from 'Bruce Leroy' persona

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"The Ultimate Fighter 12" veteran Alex Caceres set himself apart from other contestants with a big mouth and a sendup to Bruce Lee.

But as his octagon career moves on, he's trying to find the real him.

"The more I'm growing into myself, the more I have to separate myself from that successful image," Caceres told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I can't rely on his successful image to explain myself. I have to dig deep and search within myself to find who I really am."

Caceres (6-5 MMA, 1-3 UFC), who on Wednesday fights Damacio Page (15-7 MMA, 0-2 UFC) at "UFC on FUEL TV 4: Munoz vs. Weidman," said he's not abandoning the nickname that won him so much attention, positive and negative.

"I don't regret that character at all," he said. "It was a name that was given to me. It's a name that people can relate to me, and something I can relate to, as well.

Link

Post #1   7/11/12 10:47:06AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,315-754
Chips:
I used to think Alex was kind of a joke but he has come leaps and bounds since TUF and has looked pretty good lately. It's a shame the Figueroa fight ended how it did but this is great chance to redeem himself.

Post #2   7/11/12 1:27:34PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The schtick was funny for a while, but it's good that he drops the "persona". Very few can pull it off (Lawlor, Mayhem come to mind). I expect him to keep getting better, tonight should be a good fight.

Post #3   7/11/12 1:59:18PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Just wondering why this is considered news worthy

Post #4   7/11/12 3:15:42PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Chips:
It's good and bad IMO.

On one hand, it shows he's growing not only as afighter but also as his own person, and that can help with his confidence and mentality outside the cage. On the other hand, it's not always bad to have a "thing." Mayhem, Lawlor, Sonnen, etc.. they all stick out and have proven it can boost popularity. Just because you host a similar name and appearance doesn't mean you have to follow footstep for footstep.

Post #5   7/11/12 3:33:09PM