Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silvas next opponent

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I would have to say lombard if he wins and weidman if he loses

I think this is spot on.

If it's Weidman, that should be it for Andy at 185. Unless they want to pleasure the fans and feed Bisping to him.

Post #16   7/15/12 2:59:50PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
What about if Boetsch wins. Beating Okami and Lombard is up there with Maia and Munoz.

Post #17   7/15/12 3:04:33PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

What about if Boetsch wins. Beating Okami and Lombard is up there with Maia and Munoz.

If it's a memorable fight like the Okami one, I guess I can see Boetsch getting it then.

Post #18   7/15/12 3:21:20PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Pookie

If it's a memorable fight like the Okami one, I guess I can see Boetsch getting it then.

Yeah, and I would never have thought it possible before the Boetsch/Okami fight.

Post #19   7/15/12 5:49:10PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Pookie

Yeah, and I would never have thought it possible before the Boetsch/Okami fight.

I agree 100%

Totally would have never thought Tim would be in title contention talk

Post #20   7/15/12 6:20:31PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:504-307
Chips:
Weidman made Munoz look like a child, he deserves the shot.

Hector and Bisping even if they win, won't make their opponents look like children.

Post #21   7/16/12 5:12:44PM   

OctagonOnly_com

Learning to Sprawl

OctagonOnly_com Avatar

Career:456-252
Camp: Nuthin But The Best
Chips:
Honestly I think that Silva's next opponent HAS to be Jon Jones (so long as he beats Henderson of course). I know both guys are saying they don't want to fight each other, but screw them, their is no good reason for them to be able to duck this fight if Dana says it's go time.

When you look at the two divisions there is no clear-cut next opponent for either guy. Jones has cleared out the majority of the division's top 10; if you look at playgound's top 10 he will have beaten six of the 10 after defeating Hendo, and a seventh guy in the division is himself.

So who does that leave? Forrest Griffin (doesn't have the chin, or a streak worth of a title shot), Phil Davis (lost his last fight, and a win over Prado isn't enough), and then Gustaffson. Gustaffson has the most potential as he's won five in-a-row, and all have been decent guys, but he still hasn't beaten a top five fighter yet; in his only attempt he lost to Davis. I guess technically Teixeira could be in the running should he beat Jackson, but that just gives him a win over Jackson which is no longer the accomplishment it once was.

Then when you look at the guys who could potentially have a rematch, not one of them has even won both of their last two fights, so how can any of them justify another shot at the champ. So after Henderson, there really is nobody for Jones to fight. Nobody but Anderson!

When you look at the middleweight division, there is a completely different story. Contender's are coming from every angle, Weidman, Lombard, Boetsch, Belfort, Bisping, Franklin, and Belcher. However, not one of these guys have done anything against the top of the division to stand out from the rest of the pack.

I will admit that I do believe Weidman of the group is most deserving. He's one of the division's few unbeaten fighter's, and the only one to remain so after fighting top level competition. However, Munoz is the only top 10 guy he has faced, and one more fight before a shot couldn't hurt.

Lombard is on a crazy run yes, but regardless of what anyone says, those were all fights outside of the UFC, and none of his victories in the past four years have really been over anyone who would step automatically into the UFC's top 10. So fine, he's fighting Boetsch; the guy has looked good since joining the UFC, but he's not even on PG's top 10. His victory over Okami was an awesome comeback, but prior to that comeback he'd been beaten for two rounds. So to say defeating Boetsch entitles you to a title shot is ridiculous. It's like giving Shields a title shot after beating Kampmann who at the time would have barely been in the division's top 10, if at all. If Lombard is good enough for a title shot, he shouldn't worry about facing at least one more top five guy prior to meeting Anderson.

Should Boetsch beat Lombard it hard for him to step into a title shot as Lombard really has no UFC credibility, and beating him will just expose his record as a product of mid-level opposition. Though he would be definitely be one fight away given the right opponent (anybody in the top five).

Belfort is legitimately one fight away from a title. He's won three of his four fights in the UFC, and all were first round finishes. He's won two since losing to Anderson, and the way he lost could easily be chalked up to Anderson being the better fighter on that given night. The only thing holding him back is the fact that neither Johnson, or Akiyama would have been in the division's top 10, close, but not quite. Additionally, I find it humorous the way the rest of the division seems to be ducking him. Bisping, Belcher, and Stann were all calling each other out, but no one was mentioning Belfort's name; and I say this as not the biggest Belfort fan, just as someone willing to give props.

Bisping is coming off a loss to Sonnen, yet was still looking for a way to parlay that into a shot at the champion, makes no sense to me. While I respect Bisping's striking technicality, and it's effectiveness; he's really not beaten any top 10 guys. He lost to Sonnen, he beat Jason Miller (who got beat by Dollaway), he beat an old Rivera (who also got beat by Philippou), he beat Akiyama and Miller (but who at the top of the division couldn't), and prior to that he lost a close decision to W. Silva. Those are his last six fights. His most notable victory probably came over Leben almost four years ago, and before he ate the biggest of H-Bombs. The guy needs to shut his mouth, and beat some big names starting with Stann; and I say that as someone who actually likes Bisping.

Franklin has recently come out talking about a MW title shot, but he really hasn't even fought at 185 since he beat Travis Lutter in 2008, so he's gonna have to beat at least one top five guy in the division, if not two.

Last, but not least there is Alan Belcher. Belcher looked awesome against Palhares, and is now on four fight winning streak; but his victory over Palhares is his most notable, and one more top five opponent is necessary.

It is for all those reasons listed that I honestly don't believe that any one fighter is deserving of a title shot, (aside from arguably Chris Weidman) within the Middleweight division. However, in four to six months time plenty will have been figured out, and there will be an actual log jam for who gets the next title shot.

So, it is for this reason (the lack of activity in the LHW's top 10, and the fact that nobody will have really earned a title shot for at least six months) that if this super fight is ever gonna happen, it has to happen NOW (or at least after Henderson/Jones).

Still, there are other reasons as well that this fight should happen. Right now Anderson Silva is being billed as the greatest fighter of all time; that title alone is an easy PPV no matter who Silva fights. However, Silva is now 37 years old and not getting any younger. If he were to lose to any one of those guys from the MW division, they would be back to square one. None of those guys can instantly be handed that moniker; however, if Silva lost to Jones it would be an easy transition to Jones becoming the world's greatest fighter due to what he has already accomplished in the UFC. This puts the title of World's Greatest Fighter on a guy who is 24-25 (depending on time of fight) and could potentially be a cash cow for the UFC for the next 15 years if he so chooses. Additionally, if Anderson loses he's still the MW champion, and the UFC still can market him as such.

And let's not kid ourselves here, this is about making money for the UFC first and foremost. The second they announce this card they can sell out the Cowboy Stadium, and put on the biggest UFC fight that any fan will EVER see. The gate sales will be record breaking, and the PPV buys will easily eclipse any past event. The would make so much money that it wouldn't matter if the MW championship gets tied up for an additional six months.

On the flip side, if Anderson wins, (odds are this would be a non-title bout at LHW) and Jones would still have the title. That, or Silva would probably win it and then relinquish it; this would create the need for tournament style build up to who is the next champion at LHW, and gives that division a much needed boost of activity. This would likely end in Jones reclaiming his title, but oh well!

Additionally with the win, Silva will be regarded as the greatest MMA fighter all-time without any dispute to come for at least the next 10-20 years.

Finally, this fight should happen now, because Anderson isn't getting any younger. The longer they wait, the further we will see Anderson slip away from his prime, thus tarnishing what should be the greatest super-fight of all time!

Post #22   7/18/12 5:35:27AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I don't even want to see Silva fight Jones what would be the point at this stage in their careers. That would be like giving Hughes to Anderson back when he dominated Franklin for the title.

Post #23   7/18/12 10:41:44AM   

OctagonOnly_com

Learning to Sprawl

OctagonOnly_com Avatar

Career:456-252
Camp: Nuthin But The Best
Chips:
How so?

I typically look at a fight, and right away get a feeling of who I think is going to win, yet, that fight has me second guessing and prediction I make.

Jones has the advantage of being able to take any fight to the ground, but Silva showed in his last fight when he actually tried to defend the takedown that he could. Additionally, the few times that we've seen Anderson at 205, he is a MUCH more dangerous striker. When he fights at 205 he looks huge, and it transfers directly into more power in his case, while the speed remains. Muchida managed to keep Jones on the feet for a round, and if Anderson could do the same it could be lights out for Bones.

On the flip side, Jones does have the wrestling that is necessary for a fight against Silva, but with his long reach and unorthadox strikes, he also would make the fight on the feet a highly entertaining one to watch as well.

Your example is a bit unfair as well since Hughes would be far to small for mw, whereas Anderson has looked more than comfortable at 205.

Post #24   7/18/12 2:50:03PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
the Jones fight would be the first time Silva didn't have a height or reach advantage on his opponent. He would be forced to move inside to strike, something he has never had to do. He comes in, Jones clinches and ragdolls him to the floor then unleashes some nasty gnp as Silva's guard isn't very good for a black belt. Silva was able to stuff a double leg from someone around the same size...Jones will use TDs from the clinch and is bigger and stronger than Silva. Machida also has some of the best TDD in the sport, Silva does not. Machida darts in and out for strikes, Silva will stand and throw from the outside...two totally different styles of striking.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #25   7/18/12 10:15:42PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

the Jones fight would be the first time Silva didn't have a height or reach advantage on his opponent.

I think it's funny that in 2 of Silva's less competitive fights he didn't have a height advantage, Irvin is 6'2'' same is Silva, and Griffin who is 6'3'' Forrest also has the same reach. Well Silva has like a half inch advantage, 77.6 to 77.

Post #26   7/18/12 10:50:25PM   

One_Hit_Quit

MMA Regular

One_Hit_Quit Avatar

Career:2,345-1,306
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I would honestly rather see him retire than keep fighting and pull a Fedor. Someone's gotta go out on top. No one will challenge him like Chael did

This. He said he was gonna retire at 35, when he was 32, now he's 38. I was hopeing he would retire after stomping his "biggest rival" and go down in the record books.

Post #27   7/21/12 1:51:48PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Bubbles

the Jones fight would be the first time Silva didn't have a height or reach advantage on his opponent.

I think it's funny that in 2 of Silva's less competitive fights he didn't have a height advantage, Irvin is 6'2'' same is Silva, and Griffin who is 6'3'' Forrest also has the same reach. Well Silva has like a half inch advantage, 77.6 to 77.

well Irvin is a basically a can and Griffin never uses his reach advantage, so I still stand by my statement

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #28   7/21/12 2:37:02PM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
I would like to see them throw Bisping in there to him, just to watch a total massacre that I would smile all the way through, and do it in England too....but Brian Stann will probably take care of that for me....Anyway I know Anderson kicked him in the face, but I still feel Vitor poses the biggest threat to Anderson, if nothing else he wont be scared to stand with him, and his hands are quick enough to give him a little more than "a punchers chance". I am kinda partial though

Post #29   7/22/12 11:31:47AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2