Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who do you think should change weight classes?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

From Diego's last fight he almost looked like he could cut to 155...anyone else notice this? Or am I just a fool?

I would love to call you a fool, but I won't. I will however disagree. Diego is 5ft. 11 and would be killin himself to cut and has no need to consider dropping weight since he is a top 3 or 4 Welterweight IMO. Also, I agree with you that Hunt will never be below 240, heck I'd be happy if he just stayed at 250 and buffed up some. Since it was what I wanted though thought I would dream. Also, Leben is a great idea he always looks loppy. Bodyype does matter somewhat, however if you look at Fedor he is very muscular with a small layer of fat over it. Lindland, Leben, Cabbage, etc. just don't lift very many weights.

Last edited 1/28/07 4:01PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   1/28/07 3:44:19PM   

ChicagoCobra

Banned

Career:32-19
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

From Diego's last fight he almost looked like he could cut to 155...anyone else notice this? Or am I just a fool?

Dropping down in weight really isn't Deigo's style. I see him moving up to 185 if he ever decides to change weight-classes.

Post #17   1/28/07 9:01:17PM   

Sticksta13

Hardcore Surfer

Sticksta13 Avatar

Career:1,457-831
Camp: Team Valcom
Chips:
Bisping should drop to 185

Post #18   1/28/07 9:20:36PM   

cam8528

Learning to Sprawl

Career:435-271
Chips:
Penn to LW
Riggs to MW
Those for sure...

Post #19   1/28/07 10:19:42PM   

thelatchkeykids

Learning to Sprawl

Career:257-163
Camp: mma mafia
Chips:
i wanna see chuck go to hw....franklin hit lhw...

Post #20   1/28/07 11:47:22PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
Franklin could easily be a huge force in both weight classes. Him and chuck would be a sweet fight. And Diego is 5'10.

Last edited 1/29/07 2:36AM server time by aceprone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   1/29/07 2:34:02AM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:

Posted by ChicagoCobra

Posted by aceprone

Dropping down in weight really isn't Deigo's style. I see him moving up to 185 if he ever decides to change weight-classes.

I used to see him on a regular basis at the gym a few years back.I'm 5'10",he's slightly shorter than me,and could probably,but just barely,make the cut to 155. It probably wouldn't be worth the strain.But I'm also pretty sure that he isn't big or strong enough to hang with any top fighters at 185,not to mention that he'd almost always have a big reach disadvantage.He's not so much really physically strong as just really aggressive,which does make up for a lot of that,but he'd get overpowered at 185 most of the time.170 is exactly where he belongs.
Not a big fan,but I've always kinda thought that Leben might be better off at 170.

Post #22   1/29/07 4:12:41AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Tim Sylvia to LW because I've always wanted to see what it would look like if someone fought Jack Skellington. But in all honesty, Penn to LW, Bisping to MW.

Post #23   1/29/07 6:06:58AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nate22

Hippy you realistically think Hunt has the ability/frame to cut to 205?

Yep he's only 5ft. 10 and doesn't have a lot of muscle. The lowest weight I've seen him fight at is 250 and he still had a lot of excess bodfyat. He would really need to cut to 220 and cut water, then rehydrate IMO.

I think Hunt would be a beast if he dropped to 205, but I also think that this is a case a a truly "Big Boned" guy ;) He is short enough to drop the weight but it is hard for big-boned guys to drop weight, I've got one in my Gym who I'm trying to get down to 185 from 224 and it seems impossible. Sweat suits, diets, dry sandwiches nothing works..

Post #24   1/29/07 11:11:40AM   

Hwarang

MMA Regular

Hwarang Avatar

Career:62-39
Camp: Islenska mma deildin
Chips:
bj for sure

Post #25   1/29/07 11:14:10AM   

BalledBull

Learning to Sprawl

BalledBull Avatar

Career:222-135
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nate22

Yep he's only 5ft. 10 and doesn't have a lot of muscle. The lowest weight I've seen him fight at is 250 and he still had a lot of excess bodfyat. He would really need to cut to 220 and cut water, then rehydrate IMO.

I think Hunt would be a beast if he dropped to 205, but I also think that this is a case a a truly "Big Boned" guy ;) He is short enough to drop the weight but it is hard for big-boned guys to drop weight, I've got one in my Gym who I'm trying to get down to 185 from 224 and it seems impossible. Sweat suits, diets, dry sandwiches nothing works..

I aint big boned, I dont need to cut weight and I aint eating dry sandwiches no more!!

Post #26   1/29/07 11:17:53AM   

takada

Learning to Sprawl

takada Avatar

Career:12-3
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nate22

Sounds reasonable, would he be giving up his iron chinness by cutting weight?

Post #27   1/29/07 1:27:15PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nate22

I think Hunt would be a beast if he dropped to 205, but I also think that this is a case a a truly "Big Boned" guy ;) He is short enough to drop the weight but it is hard for big-boned guys to drop weight, I've got one in my Gym who I'm trying to get down to 185 from 224 and it seems impossible. Sweat suits, diets, dry sandwiches nothing works..[/QUOTE

I was a personal trainer for a long time, and I am big boned also, so I know how he feels. Luck for me I was a powerlifter and never had o cut weight. If he has the discipline and really wants to cut that weight try this. From the moment he wakes up he needs to eat nothing but 4 oz. of low sodium white fish( halibut works best in my experience) or low sodium chicken breast and a bowl of leafy green vegetables(preferably all foods organic) every 3 hours , stopping 4 hours before bed. One of my guys did this for 2 weeks before his competion and cut 16 and a half pounds and he was already really lean. Have him drink nothing but water all day, as much as he wants, until 2 days before the weigh in. I'm not an expert in water cutting, I've always been a heavyweight . Somebody else might be able to help you there, if you need it. I have trained with a lot of body builders trying to make their weight class for shows and this is how they do it. I never asked for the specifics on how they cut water and how much is safe, but I do know Joe Riggs said he cut 21 lbs. of water once, made weight and rehydrated fine to fight. Bodybuilders don't have as much strain on stage as a fighter obviously, but they also, don't have a day before they go on stage. Hope this helps

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #28   1/29/07 7:21:02PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
As my fellow camp members already mentioned. Bisping needs to drop to 185.

Serra needs to drop to LW and Yoshida needs to drop to 183.

Post #29   1/29/07 9:30:57PM   

slammadowg

Deactivated

Career:11-6
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

My friends and I are always argiung about this. Some I think would prove benficial are
1. Bj Penn-stay at LWT
2. J. Lambert -185
3. Ninja-back to 183
4. Riggs-back to 185
5. T. LAves-155
6. M. Hunt-get in shape and go 205
7. A. Suloev- 160
8. C. Lee- 170
9. W. Gouvea- 185
10. Bonnar- HVWT
11. Lodune Sincaid-185

If Pride had a 170 lb. division I would add more.

i agree with all but hunt, i think hes too big to get in shape and drop to 205.

Post #30   1/30/07 12:59:14AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3