Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

California State Athletic Commission In Disarray, With Boss Censured, Agency Insolvent

Print  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Jun 28, 2012 - The California state athletic commission is one of the largest combat sports sanctioning bodies in the nation, overseeing 190 events during its 2011 fiscal year, but it is also in chaos, a fact highlighted by a Tuesday meeting in which it was revealed that the agency is insolvent, with expenditures far outpacing revenue.

CSAC is already in the red, and according to numbers released in a memorandum from Department of Consumer Affairs budget officer Taylor Schick, if the commission continues its current projections, it would face a deficit of nearly $700,000 by the end of fiscal year 2013, a shortfall that could have a catastrophic effect on MMA and boxing in the state, because it could cause the commission to halt its programs, thereby denying regulation for combat sports.

Article

They're broke.

Post #1   6/28/12 2:53:56PM   

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,202-621
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
"As of now, no scheduled fights have been affected..."

Well that's good news.

Post #2   6/28/12 3:06:46PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
So whip up another Athletic Commission and make sure it doesn't go broke. Are they the be all end all of MMA? No. F*ck them. I bet too many commissioners and other higher ups are getting too much pay and too big of bonuses. I bet these very same people who made comments in this story make a heap of loot. I bet that is where the true problem lies.

Post #3   6/28/12 9:37:53PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

So whip up another Athletic Commission and make sure it doesn't go broke. Are they the be all end all of MMA? No. F*ck them. I bet too many commissioners and other higher ups are getting too much pay and too big of bonuses. I bet these very same people who made comments in this story make a heap of loot. I bet that is where the true problem lies.

You realize how ridiculous this sounds, right? Like you can just "whip up" an organization to oversee every fight in California and pay for drug tests

Post #4   6/28/12 10:22:55PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,479-1,275
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Sir_Karl

You realize how ridiculous this sounds, right? Like you can just "whip up" an organization to oversee every fight in California and pay for drug tests

I see both sides. I think the AC gets enough money to prosper, especially in states like California. At the same time, as long as we don't have someone having an eye on AC's (just as they oversee their own suspensions for instance) they're really free to do as they roam and they will live or die by the business skills of those appointed.

Post #5   6/28/12 10:28:41PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Sir_Karl

I see both sides. I think the AC gets enough money to prosper, especially in states like California. At the same time, as long as we don't have someone having an eye on AC's (just as they oversee their own suspensions for instance) they're really free to do as they roam and they will live or die by the business skills of those appointed.

I was never arguing his points about overpaid members. I'm not gonna challenge that point at all.

Ridiculous part was saying "whip up another AC"

Post #6   6/28/12 10:30:25PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,479-1,275
Chips:
It's almost sad that I'd take a green rook fresh out of his senior year of college majoring in any form of business and would feel more comfortable with him or her than who heads up any of the AC's including the major ones. AC's are a bigger problem than judging imo. Sad to see.

Post #7   6/28/12 10:33:13PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

It's almost sad that I'd take a green rook fresh out of his senior year of college majoring in any form of business and would feel more comfortable with him or her than who heads up any of the AC's including the major ones. AC's are a bigger problem than judging imo. Sad to see.

Post #8   6/28/12 10:36:08PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,259-1,266
Chips:

In 2012, that number dipped to seven, partly he said, due to taxing issues that deterred promoters from going there, and partly due to the loss of Strikeforce as a standalone promotion.

I read the article looking for info on where the AC gets it's revenue. I figured a big chunk would come directly from taxpayers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. "Taxing issues that deterred promoters" - i get that, California is in big financial trouble because of this, and it should be no surprise that it affects AC regulated sports. But what is meant by losing Strikeforce as a "standalone" promotion? Are they not holding as many events, are they doing more outside of CA than ever before?

Lesson: don't drive away promotions with taxes when they can easily go somewhere else.

Last edited 6/29/12 9:27AM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   6/29/12 9:24:54AM