Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC on FX 4 winner Cub Swanson unsure of nickname, but knows he wants title shot

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fight Night bonuses he's got down, but that whole nickname thing is still a work in progress for Cub Swanson.

The 28-year-old UFC featherweight laughed off MMAjunkie.com Radio host Brian "Goze" Garcia's notion to go with the moniker of "Cookie Monster" after posing for pictures with the furry, blue "Sesame Street" character during a celebratory trip to New York after his UFC on FX 4 victory over Ross Pearson this past weekend.

"I was very close to having the announcer announce me as 'Killer Cub,' but never got around to talking to him about it," said Swanson on Monday's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), of the new nickname members in the Greg Jackson camp gave him.

The name seems fitting after "Cub" — born Kevin Luke Swanson, but who quickly earned the baby bear tag from his older brother while he was just an infant — scored a highlight-reel knockout against the English striker Friday night at the event that took place at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey.

"That was my big opportunity to really showcase my skills," said Swanson (17-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC), who earned a $50,000 "Knockout of the Night" bonus for his victory over the "TUF 9" winner.

Link

Post #1   6/26/12 11:10:56PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I know you want to try to avenge that loss, but win a couple more fights vs ranked opponents and go from there. Nunes would be a good test for him

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   6/26/12 11:32:00PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I know you want to try to avenge that loss, but win a couple more fights vs ranked opponents and go from there. Nunes would be a good test for him

I like the sound of that as a way to figure out the ladder although I think Swanson has the sort of stuff to put on FotN-caliber contests whereas Nunes was fairly hesitant and counter-heavy against Siver.

Swanson is an interesting case. The UFC could start matching him up against quality opponents if they think he is a legitimate contender or keep him fighting the Pearsons of the world if they want to put on a show for the fans.

A fight against Poirier would be nice if they want the middle ground. Poirier has something to prove again and Swanson is looking to break into the top ten. And the fight would be fun.

Post #3   6/26/12 11:45:30PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Aldo's KO of Cub has to be one of the most vicious in the business, poor guy.

Oh and Killer Cub? Try again, no nickname is better than a weak one.

Last edited 6/26/12 11:49PM server time by infestructure
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/26/12 11:48:18PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
He already has a nickname...."Cub". As far as another fight with Aldo goes...I think Cub needs at least 2 more wins and they need to be against higher ranked opponents. While I think he would certainly "bring it" to Aldo and I do think he would last much longer than he did in their first fight I still don't see him beating Aldo. What is he supposed to do though? Retire? No. He has to follow the path and that path leads to Aldo. I hope he gets there as I think it would be a much more exciting fight this time. I think a rematch will last longer than 8 seconds.

Post #5   6/27/12 12:06:11AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I'm guessing he means eventually wants a title shot.

Don't know if I have him in my top 10 even.

Would need two contenders wins, I think, to get a crack at the title.

Post #6   6/27/12 12:12:34AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
I imagine they'll try to keep him in fan friendly fights. I hope he does get the caliber of fighter he wants with 5 of his last 8 fights having an OTN bonus, but with both coming off of winning streaks on the same card I could see them doing Swanson/Siler. Which, while I could see Cub not liking it since it's a step back, I would still love to see it since Cub would annihilate him.

Post #7   6/27/12 12:20:46AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Bubbles

I like the sound of that as a way to figure out the ladder although I think Swanson has the sort of stuff to put on FotN-caliber contests whereas Nunes was fairly hesitant and counter-heavy against Siver.

Swanson is an interesting case. The UFC could start matching him up against quality opponents if they think he is a legitimate contender or keep him fighting the Pearsons of the world if they want to put on a show for the fans.

A fight against Poirier would be nice if they want the middle ground. Poirier has something to prove again and Swanson is looking to break into the top ten. And the fight would be fun.

Poirier is still a top 5-7 FW while Nunes is a fringe top 10 (I have him just outside). Nunes probably had a counter striking gameplan vs Siver as he doesn't get caught by one of those spinning kicks. Cub doesn't have flashy strikes and IIRC he was more aggressive in the Florian and Gamburyan fights so it would be a good litmus test for him

Poirier vs Swanson would be a great fight, but I don't think Cub is ready to take that big of a leap

Last edited 6/27/12 12:28AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   6/27/12 12:26:02AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
I'd argue Cub has better signature wins than Poirer and even any recent losses were to better opponents. Poirer just gets the hype train and Cub doesn't. I think the fight would surprise. But with the UFC grooming Poirier for years now, they're not going to give him a tough fight after a loss anyways.

Post #9   6/27/12 12:50:04AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
All this time, I thought that was his real name.

Post #10   6/27/12 1:36:20AM   

Malaussie

MMA Regular

Malaussie Avatar

Career:571-397
Chips:
I would like to see him against Charles Oliveira

Post #11   6/27/12 2:23:32AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,073-623
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I like Cub. Was a fan of his in the WEC. My one criticism is his inconsistency. I can't pick his fights to save my life. If I pick him to win, he loses, if I pick him to lose, he wins. For his next fight I hope they either give him a softball fight or a top contender so I can pick one corectly for a change and get some points.

Post #12   6/27/12 7:21:20AM