Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Urijah Faber: 'I will be Renan Barao's toughest test, he won't be mine' at UFC 149

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It wasn't the fight everyone had been looking forward to.

For months, mixed martial arts (MMA) fans had been anxiously awaiting the trilogy rubber match between Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, who coached opposite each on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Live" on FX.

Unfortunately, that bout didn't come to fruition after Cruz badly injured his knee (having to have both his ACL and MCL repaired through surgery) during training. It was later announced that Faber would take on highly touted Brazilian prodigy Renan Barao for the interim Bantamweight Championship belt at UFC 149 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on July 21, 2012.

Faber isn't taking him lightly, based on his past level of competition, but he also feels like he's fought tougher:

I've definitely fought better fighters, but the guy's got the championship mentality. There's no doubt about that. This is gonna be his toughest test, but he's not gonna be my toughest test.

SOURCE

Last edited 6/26/12 1:37AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/26/12 1:36:50AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Shut up, Faber. You should've been fighting Barao for #1 contendership, anyway.

Post #2   6/26/12 2:21:19AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
I was picking Berao anyway but this is good to hear..Too bad Faber peaked in the WEC when the talent was thinner. Faber probably had a better shot at beating Cruz because Berao is a nightmare match for him and also a future champion.

Post #3   6/26/12 2:29:16AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yeah, Faber already faced the toughest test in Aldo and lost.

Was high on Barao, but the Scotty fight kind of lowered that as I thought he would be more dominate. Then looking at how Scotty got blasted by Wineland and Barao didn't do much after dismantling Pickett.

Post #4   6/26/12 3:07:29AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Not that I'm convinced that its going to happen but I will take some satisfaction if Faber dominates Barao just because of how much hate, and how little credit he gets these days. I understand some people don't like his personality and how he always finds himself fast tracked to title shots, I have never considered myself a fan but I can appreciate that I can't remember a single boring fight with him and that he broke one hand and injured the other in the first round of his rematch with Mike Brown and kept fighting with pretty much only elbows and sub attempts. Its fine not to care for his attitude, whatever but you can't deny that he is still a great fighter and one tough SOB.

Post #5   6/26/12 3:42:01AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well he's not wrong. He's fought multiple guys I think were tougher tests than Barao and Barao hasn't fought someone who is a tougher test than Faber yet.

Post #6   6/26/12 3:42:45AM   

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,162-603
Chips:

Post #7   6/26/12 8:40:26AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,167-622
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Faber does have some solid pointas far as his competition goes. They don't get much tougher than Cruz and Aldo.

IMO this is gonna be a great matchup. I'd be surprised if this fight was a total domination one way or the other. I'm going with Barao in this fight.

Post #8   6/26/12 11:23:47AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Faber is one of the most fluffed and overated fighters in the sport.... which sucks because he is also a legitimate great in his career as a whole and still in his prime.

He is really good and right about tests but he is only one name in a field of top fighters at 135 145. I would probably go with Faber by dominant decision.

Lets face it, the only reason a lot of us hate this guy is because he always gets undeserved title shots and the UFC rides his balls hard for ppv buys, kinda like Mir.

But hey, we got to see Mike Brown destroy Faber so its all good right?

Post #9   6/26/12 3:10:33PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,840-896
Chips:
While this kinda comes off as insulting to Barao, its hard to argue against. Barao's toughest opponents were Pickett and Jorgenson who aren't even really comparable to Faber who was previously a reigning Zuffa champion, has a win over the current BW champ, and even in his recent loss against the same gave Cruz a helluva fight. Conversely, its hard to argue that even when Renan is at his best he looks better than Aldo or Cruz.

TLDR: Accurate but a bit tactless.

Post #10   6/26/12 4:13:07PM   

K4RP3NT3R

Learning to Sprawl

K4RP3NT3R Avatar

Career:16-6
Chips:
I have never been a big fan of Faber. He is a great fighter but I do not like his personality. Arrogance usually does not bother me, but in Faber's case it does bother me. I will be rooting for Barao in this fight. Faber's best weapon is his wrestling/ground control. I believe he has lost some of his fights because he has delusions that he is an elite striker which he is not.

Post #11   6/26/12 4:57:45PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by K4RP3NT3R

I have never been a big fan of Faber. He is a great fighter but I do not like his personality. Arrogance usually does not bother me, but in Faber's case it does bother me. I will be rooting for Barao in this fight. Faber's best weapon is his wrestling/ground control. I believe he has lost some of his fights because he has delusions that he is an elite striker which he is not.

He has good speed and movement to strike with but at this weight that is the standard.

Post #12   6/26/12 6:17:53PM   

K4RP3NT3R

Learning to Sprawl

K4RP3NT3R Avatar

Career:16-6
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush
He has good speed and movement to strike with but at this weight that is the standard.

I'm not saying his striking isn't up to the standard, I'm just saying he has a much better chance to win fights by using his wrestling and control.

Post #13   6/26/12 6:57:22PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:488-293
Chips:
Faber's striking looks great, he destroyed Bowles on the stand-up and could have KO'd if he didn't go for the choke, but that's another thing Faber has the killer instinct in him, he's hungry.

Barao out pointed Scotty, and even hurt a few times but never went for the kill.

I'm going with the Cali Kid at this point.

Post #14   6/26/12 8:39:02PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Faber's striking looks great, he destroyed Bowles on the stand-up and could have KO'd if he didn't go for the choke, but that's another thing Faber has the killer instinct in him, he's hungry.

Barao out pointed Scotty, and even hurt a few times but never went for the kill.

I'm going with the Cali Kid at this point.

Bowles only knows 1 trick standing. jab feelers followed by a big right hand. Not hard to counter him if you train for the 1 trick and have a decent level of talent/wrestling.

If that tells you anything about how overrated Torres was.

Post #15   6/26/12 10:05:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2