Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

One FC’ s Zorobabel Moreira Explains Soccer Kick Finish of Roger Huerta

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If you didn’t know the name Zorobabel Moreira prior to last weekend’s One FC event, you probably remember him now after his vicious soccer kick knockout win over Roger Huerta.

Moreira took the fight on short notice and jumped up to welterweight to accept the fight with Huerta. The Brazilian dismantled the former UFC fighter and finished the bout in the 2nd round with a soccer kick that rang back to the days of Pride Fighting Championships.

The finish didn’t come without some controversy due to the rules upheld by One FC that allow for kicks on a downed opponent only when the referee gives the fighter the okay to do so. There has been some controversy about the finish since it happened so Moreira sat down with MMAWeekly.com and explained the fight, the win and the finish as well as what’s next

Link

Post #1   6/26/12 12:01:12AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,376-1,419
Chips:
what i dont get is the 'For ONE FC rules, the fighter must wait for the open attack signal that allows soccer kicks'..meaning the ref must signal / say it's ok for him to soccer kick him..imho, soccer kicks should come freely, like Pride..i been waiting for one since OneFC started and it finally happen..but there was alot of ppl crying over that soccer kick..imo, that was legit, and OneFC should throw away that 'only on the ref signal, u can throw a soccer kick'..just make it like Pride, soccer kicks should come naturally, again thats imo..

Post #2   6/26/12 1:53:58AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,500-1,283
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I didn't read the link, but if they didn't say it in there, soccer kicks and/or stomps have only `ever` been tried in a cage using an open attack rule because in a ring medical staff can rush in from every angle, where in a cage they can only enter through the one door. It's the referee's job to make the decision for open attacks based on the fighter's proximity to the cage and to the door, to avoid someone getting their head stomped repeatedly into the cage and/or at the furthest point from medical staff. There's a reason the don't make them legal at any time, but if that's the compromise when in a cage, I prefer that to being allowed to use them any time in a ring.

Post #3   6/26/12 2:04:55AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,240-1,521
Chips:
I have to disagree with both of you guys as I don't think soccer kicks should even be allowed and while I can't figure out the reason behind the rule, I don't think it is the reason you gave.

Post #4   6/26/12 2:28:54AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I have to disagree with both of you guys as I don't think soccer kicks should even be allowed and while I can't figure out the reason behind the rule, I don't think it is the reason you gave.

Cage Rage tried it many years ago and required the fighter to be at least one meter from the cage and in a position to defend themselves before they would call for the open attack (open guard at the time) rule. If I'm reading between the lines that it is for safety purposes, I'd love to hear another explanation as they are the only two larger cage promotions to have used this.

Post #5   6/26/12 2:31:47AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Straight from Matt Hume who headed the ONE FC rules committee (where he is head ref and judge) as well as previously being on the PRIDE FC rules committee:

`This verbal command was put in to place to create a ‘safety measure’ for the fighters, it means that if a referee believes the fighter is ‘rocked’ or concussed/dazed and as a result is on the canvas – the opponent will NOT get the open guard attack command. Thus saving him unnecessary damage.`

So yeah, it's for safety purposes.

Post #6   6/26/12 2:45:15AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I have to disagree with both of you guys as I don't think soccer kicks should even be allowed

I agree with this (and throw stomps in as well). I find it unnecessary and it can be far more dangerous than any other strike. It also takes no skill or training to do either of them

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   6/26/12 7:44:42AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I'm normally a big fan of rare and awesome violence between two fighters, but something about that kick disturbed me. Huerta was pretty much done. He was all but out of the fight, and he was hit by a strike that could've broken his neck. To me, it was like watching an injured dog get put down, and I wanted to vomit after watching it.

Bear in mind I don't hold Moreira in any disregard over it, because he was fighting within the rules of the promotion. I just don't care for those rules myself.

Post #8   6/26/12 1:16:06PM   

K4RP3NT3R

Learning to Sprawl

K4RP3NT3R Avatar

Career:16-6
Chips:

Posted by isk

I'm normally a big fan of rare and awesome violence between two fighters, but something about that kick disturbed me. Huerta was pretty much done. He was all but out of the fight, and he was hit by a strike that could've broken his neck. To me, it was like watching an injured dog get put down, and I wanted to vomit after watching it.

Bear in mind I don't hold Moreira in any disregard over it, because he was fighting within the rules of the promotion. I just don't care for those rules myself.

I agree. This KO looked particularly brutal. I did not mind soccer kicks, stomps, etc. in Pride because they were allowed and fights were usually stopped soon enough. IMO, when the fight is over, the ref should stop it. There shouldn't be a grey area when a fighter needs verification from the ref whether they can release a devastating strike or not. I just watched the fight and I would classify this one as bad reffing. Huerta was done before the kick

Post #9   6/26/12 4:22:52PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
Getting KO'd standing and and bouncing your head off the mat is more dangerous than soccer kicks.

Post #10   6/26/12 4:30:13PM   

MMA Regular

187 Avatar

Career:381-261
Chips:
I've no problem with kicking a downed opponent, the problem here was the late stoppage. Seriously, I'm inclined to believe the man we thought was yuji shimada was actually shang tsung up to his old shape shifting gimmick.

FINISH HIM!

Post #11   6/26/12 11:06:10PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,376-1,419
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I didn't read the link, but if they didn't say it in there, soccer kicks and/or stomps have only `ever` been tried in a cage using an open attack rule because in a ring medical staff can rush in from every angle, where in a cage they can only enter through the one door. It's the referee's job to make the decision for open attacks based on the fighter's proximity to the cage and to the door, to avoid someone getting their head stomped repeatedly into the cage and/or at the furthest point from medical staff. There's a reason the don't make them legal at any time, but if that's the compromise when in a cage, I prefer that to being allowed to use them any time in a ring.

see the thing bout Pride is that they didnt rush in the ring..the opponent normally got stompd on for a good moment before the ref jumpd in..the ref should of stop it earlier, so it it the fighter fault for following the rule, kinda, but not really..this ref has been in the game as long as Big John..and he shoulda known better..noBODY should blame Moreira for the soccer kick as i'm sure a HIGH percentage of fighters woulda done the same..i can bet ya, we're gonna see more of this, if u cant handle Vale Tudo rule or even the lesser Pride rule, dont watch, serious..stick to LnP Unified Rules..i love Pride, Vale Tudo, OneFC rules, cuz we'll see better fights, more action and even if u have top position the bottom guy can win, if he more active with sub attempts and what not..not like not like the boring stall and point ur way to a decision in Unified Rules..the soccer kicks makes wrestlers FIGHT!!!..thats what MMA is all bout..thats why Pride was way more exciting to watch then UFC back then and still is, imo..only the toughest survived these rules..once the yellow card come into play for OneFC, that'll even be better..love it or hate it..these are the rules the fighters follow..and i hate BORING UFC fights, too many babies and Pride rules prevents these kinda out comes.. but once again, just my 2cents and my opion..

Last edited 6/27/12 2:16AM server time by rhythmandstyle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   6/27/12 2:15:44AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,881-1,084
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
One FC’ s Zorobabel Moreira Explains Soccer Kick Finish of Roger Huerta

Short version = ''I kicked him in the f*****g head!''

Post #13   6/27/12 4:45:19PM