Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Clay Guida unapologetic for strategy against Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
An hour after he lost to Gray Maynard on Friday, Clay Guida wasn't going to apologize for his performance.

Guida (29-13 MMA, 9-7 UFC) dropped a split decision to Maynard (11-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) in the main event of UFC on FX 4. And though he started the fight as the clear fan favorite, he finished it to a chorus of boos – actual ones at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey and plenty of the cyber variety from critics online.

Fans said Guida was "running." So did his boss, UFC president Dana White, who also compared Guida's game plan to "Dancing With the Stars." And Maynard? Well, he was so frustrated in the fight that twice he let a pair of double middle fingers fly in Guida's direction.

There may be a fine line in MMA between "running" away from an opponent and simply employing an effective game plan. Guida believes he and his team at Greg Jackson's camp executed the latter.

Link

Post #1   6/25/12 10:14:40PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
he has no reason to appologize.

Post #2   6/26/12 1:36:14AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
Pretty funny interview...calling the fans goombahs and getting amped up for the fight metric results, which proved not to favor him...and if he didn't win the fight, I would be inclined to say the strategy didn't work in the end.

Last edited 6/26/12 9:19AM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/26/12 9:17:58AM   

K4RP3NT3R

Learning to Sprawl

K4RP3NT3R Avatar

Career:16-6
Chips:
I don't think he needs to apologize. He tried a new gameplan and he didn't win. I do think he made better use of his speed and quick footwork, but he needs to add more offense to this new gameplan and he might have something going for him.

Post #4   6/26/12 5:50:52PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:504-307
Chips:
Hey I don't blame him but I also never signed a contract to FIGHT. The fan's, the boss, Maynard, we all expected a FIGHT.

Post #5   6/26/12 8:44:23PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
I wouldn't apologize either. I can go back and watch the fight over and over and still can't figure out anyway to score it for Maynard. In fact, he looked damn near drunk falling down after every punch he through. I have sat through alot of boring UFC fights. There have been people loose their jobs for boring fights but this is the first one anyone has ever been punished with a loss. In my eyes, this hurts the integrety of the sport.

Post #6   6/26/12 11:38:34PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

I wouldn't apologize either. I can go back and watch the fight over and over and still can't figure out anyway to score it for Maynard. In fact, he looked damn near drunk falling down after every punch he through. I have sat through alot of boring UFC fights. There have been people loose their jobs for boring fights but this is the first one anyone has ever been punished with a loss. In my eyes, this hurts the integrety of the sport.

He wasn't punished with a loss for having a boring fight or gameplan.

He lost because he got hit more than he hit his opponent in total and more specifically in the last 3 rounds.

Post #7   6/27/12 2:16:57AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Throws more punches. Lands less punches. Lands at an incredibly low %. Lands the far weaker punches. Gets chased around the ring. Looks far worse post-fight.

Loses a slim decision, while employing a strategy that would make him look good to the judges.

Clay Guida doesnt need to be apologetic, but he can't complain about how he lost the fight with any real validity.

Post #8   6/27/12 8:44:40AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Throws more punches. Lands less punches. Lands at an incredibly low %. Lands the far weaker punches. Gets chased around the ring. Looks far worse post-fight.

Loses a slim decision, while employing a strategy that would make him look good to the judges.

Clay Guida doesnt need to be apologetic, but he can't complain about how he lost the fight with any real validity.

Guida definately landed the more significant punches in all of the first 4 rds. Maynard didin't do anything significant until that choke attempt at the end of the 4th.

Post #9   6/27/12 11:57:17AM   

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,238-631
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Fightmetric stats: Maynard landed more significant strikes rounds 3 to 5. And % wise - round 2 as well.

Last edited 6/27/12 12:03PM server time by Card
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   6/27/12 12:02:18PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Guida probably hits at the most, half as hard as Maynard. And Maynards punches were always power punches, whereas Guida's was non-committal quick strikes.

There's no way in hell that Guida landed the more significant strikes in terms of damage and/or force.

Post #11   6/27/12 12:05:01PM   

K4RP3NT3R

Learning to Sprawl

K4RP3NT3R Avatar

Career:16-6
Chips:
I have to agree with Pookie and Card. Maynard was attempting to push the action the entire fight, while Guida continued to stall the action the entire fight by focusing on keeping his distance rather than landing strikes. Guida did a fantastic job of causing Maynard to make mistakes, but he seldom capitalized on those mistakes. Instead, he continued to focus on keeping his distance.

His strategy was working well. He simply needed to capitalize on the mistakes Maynard was making due to his frustration.

Post #12   6/27/12 2:58:47PM