Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bellator 71 Recap: Summer Series Kicks off in Devastating Fashion

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If you were at least sort-of interested in last night’s Bellator 71, then you walked away last night satisfied. If you had no interest in the event prior, and just happened to catch the fights that weren’t on FX, you undoubtedly walked away impressed by the action. Not to spoil the recap, but only one fight on the entire card, an undercard bout between Kevin Zalac and Chris Goldbaugh, went the distance. The main card of Bellator 71 more than made up for the anti-climactic finish to Guida vs. Maynard, providing fight fans with quick knockouts and submissions throughout the evening.

If you were expecting Travis Wiuff to steamroll Chris Davis on his way to claiming what is rightfully his, you weren’t surprised – but you also weren’t impressed. Wiuff managed to get the first round knockout, yet he didn’t necessarily excite fans with his performance. The fight was a wall-and-stall heavy performance, with Wiuff overpowering Davis, earning a takedown and then punching out Davis with just under one minute left in the round.

Wiuff’s bullying style isn’t always the most exciting thing to watch, but it’s hard to question its effectiveness. Add on the size advantage that Wiuff has over most opponents - ”Diesel” has fought at heavyweight for most of his career – and it’s hard not to imagine him earning a rematch with Christian M’Pumbu by the end of the summer. Wiuff is now 67-14 (1 NC) in his career.

Link

Post #1   6/24/12 2:34:31PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:488-293
Chips:
I hate non-title bouts, that's something Bellator had better change.

Post #2   6/24/12 11:53:36PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:815-493
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

I hate non-title bouts, that's something Bellator had better change.

I don't like it either, but I don't know what they can do given their format. I like the tournament format, but it leaves their champions inactive or puts them in fights against guys that typically don't deserve to be in there with them. If they put the belt on the line in those fights, then, to an extent, they've kind of invalidated the tournament. That is probably better, though, since the tournament winner still fights the champion, whoever it may be. I wonder if given the choice, what most would chose: fight the champ for the belt (without participating in the tournament) or go through the tournament and 'earn' your shot along with the paychecks for winning those 3 fights? I don't really know, but I'd imagine that the former would be the more popular choice.

Post #3   6/25/12 11:18:20AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,546-1,579
Camp: country KO
Chips:
If they'd just do multiple staggered tournaments within a single weight class they could have more challengers in a quicker fashion. Hopefully they address the issue once they get to Spike.

Post #4   6/25/12 3:31:03PM