Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC on FX 4 bonuses - $50k to Swanson, Miller, Stout, Fisher

Print  
Posted By Message

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Article Link

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Cub Swanson, Dan Miller, Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Friday's UFC on FX 4 event.

Swanson earned the "Knockout of the Night" bonus, Miller picked up the "Submission of the Night" award, and Stout and Fisher were named "Fight of
the Night" winners.

UFC officials announced the winners following the event.

UFC on FX 4 took place at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey. The event's main card aired on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.

Swanson, a nearly 2-to-1 underdog against Ross Pearson in the opening bout on the main card, was in a dogfight in the first round while trading kicks and punches with the "TUF 9" winner. But in a back-and-forth second round, Swanson landed a crisp left hand to Pearson's chin that had him falling awkwardly to the fence. As referee Yves Lavigne moved in to stop the fight, Swanson got off a pair of extra shots on the ground then mugged for the cameras as Lavigne was pulling him off.

Miller, a New Jersey resident and fan favorite, snapped a two-fight losing skid at middleweight and picked up a win in his first fight at welterweight. In the third round against Ricardo Funch, he jumped guard and landed a guillotine choke. He rolled with it as Funch tried to roll free, but Funch quickly had to tap for his fourth UFC loss.

Stout and Fisher met in the co-headliner and the rubber match of their trilogy. Unlike the first two meetings, which were closely contested, Stout kept a decent lead through each round and took the unanimous decision via 30-27 scores in a fairly entertaining lightweight bout.

Post #1   6/23/12 12:34:15AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
My thoughts on the card -

MAYNARD VS GUIDA

I agree with the decision, scoring the last 3 rounds for Maynard. Generalship is kind of a hot button topic in the fight community at the moment following Bradley/Pacquiao, but I think the more relevant comparison is Condit/Diaz.

Now, I agree with the Condit decision, and I've praised his effort here on the Playground. It was smart, tactical, and effective in that he consistently delivered damage while typically evading disadvantageous positions.

What Guida did tonight - and I typically love the guy's fights - was not stick-and-move. It was avoidant, spastic, and far too passive. To put it in perspective, if you land significantly fewer strikes over a 5 round fight than Nate Diaz did in one round against Cowboy Cerrone, you might be doing it wrong.

Miragliotta again did a great job of crisis management. The argument could be made that Guida should've been warned earlier, for sure, but I think this was a good call and you can definitely see the change in the fight after the warning.

Loved Maynard's attitude at the end, as well. He gave no fucks, was autographing everything, taking pictures with fans, and the guy who asked for his hat got his hat.

STOUT VS FISHER

Great fight. Fisher looked better than he has in a long time, certainly better than I expected, but it made sense. He went up against a fighter who'll generally stand and brawl with crisp, solid striking that isn't the quickest in the division. Props to Stout for the takedowns in each round - tactically smart and well executed. The timing and the drive through were both nice, and I'd like to see him spend more time in training while on top position to shore up his GnP. That'll pay dividends as he gets older and needs to stay versatile.

EBERSOLE VS WALDBURGER

Another great fight, one in which we learned that Waldburger might need to work on his cardio a bit. This could've gotten FOTN as well. Other than that, I saw few surprises - just an entertaining grappler vs wrestler matchup.

MISC THOUGHTS

--Cub Swanson has looked fantastic in his last 2 fights. I think he'd be great against Lamas or Koch.

--Steven Siler seems a Joe Lauzon type to me - not the most technical striker, but a surprising one with a ground game based on scrambles and killer instinct.

--Chris Camozzi did in the 3rd round what he should've done in the 1st - just get after it. He's a big, tough guy with a good BJJ game, but I think he'd be a lot dangerous if he was more aggressive. I'd recommend that he tighten up that striking based around a crisp jab, long straight punches, and a thai clinch with huge knees at MW.

Last edited 6/23/12 8:35AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   6/23/12 12:52:46AM   

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,188-615
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Post-Fight Interviews - http://www.youtube.com/user/UFC/videos

Post #3   6/23/12 12:56:56AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by isk

My thoughts on the card -

MAYNARD VS GUIDA

I agree with the decision, scoring the last 3 rounds for Maynard. Generalship is kind of a hot button topic in the fight community at the moment following Bradley/Pacquiao, but I think the more relevant comparison is Condit/Diaz.

Now, I agree with the Condit decision, and I've praised his effort here on the Playground. It was smart, tactical, and effective in that he consistently delivered damage while typically evading disadvantageous positions.

What Guida did tonight - and I typically love the guy's fights - was not stick-and-move. It was avoidant, spastic, and far too passive. To put it in perspective, if you land significantly fewer strikes over a 5 round fight than Nick Diaz did in one round against Cowboy Cerrone, you might be doing it wrong.

Miragliotta again did a great job of crisis management. The argument could be made that Guida should've been warned earlier, for sure, but I think this was a good call and you can definitely see the change in the fight after the warning.

Loved Maynard's attitude at the end, as well. He gave no fucks, was autographing everything, taking pictures with fans, and the guy who asked for his hat got his hat.

STOUT VS FISHER

Great fight. Fisher looked better than he has in a long time, certainly better than I expected, but it made sense. He went up against a fighter who'll generally stand and brawl with crisp, solid striking that isn't the quickest in the division. Props to Stout for the takedowns in each round - tactically smart and well executed. The timing and the drive through were both nice, and I'd like to see him spend more time in training while on top position to shore up his GnP. That'll pay dividends as he gets older and needs to stay versatile.

EBERSOLE VS WALDBURGER

Another great fight, one in which we learned that Waldburger might need to work on his cardio a bit. This could've gotten FOTN as well. Other than that, I saw few surprises - just an entertaining grappler vs wrestler matchup.

MISC THOUGHTS

--Cub Swanson has looked fantastic in his last 2 fights. I think he'd be great against Lamas or Koch.

--Steven Siler seems a Joe Lauzon type to me - not the most technical striker, but a surprising one with a ground game based on scrambles and killer instinct. I think a fight between the two of them would be great, especially if Lauzon goes through Etim quickly in August.

--Chris Camozzi did in the 3rd round what he should've done in the 1st - just get after it. He's a big, tough guy with a good BJJ game, but I think he'd be a lot dangerous if he was more aggressive. I'd recommend that he tighten up that striking based around a crisp jab, long straight punches, and a thai clinch with huge knees at MW.

I cannot say I agree with the Maynard vs Guida decision because I did not see the entire fight but on everything else, I agree. Great post fight analysis.

You should post more.

Post #4   6/23/12 1:06:47AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:673-365
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i thought waldburger vs ebersole should have got fotn, those first two rounds were awesome, especially the 2nd...so technical.

Post #5   6/23/12 1:51:36AM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

i thought waldburger vs ebersole should have got fotn, those first two rounds were awesome, especially the 2nd...so technical.

Agreed that was a fun scrap!!

Post #6   6/23/12 2:11:47AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
Fightmetric stats are out , and it's good to see corroboration on the Maynard/Guida decision. Close striking in all 3 rounds - the first 2 to Guida, the last 3 to Maynard. Round 4's the likely swing vote due to the slight 11-10 edge in strikes for Maynard, and depending on how much the aggression of the guillotine attempt was valued over the admittedly awesome escape. Personally I give them equal value since it wasn't a takedown by Guida that initiated the sub attempt, and it was pretty damn tight.

Posted by KungFuMaster

I cannot say I agree with the Maynard vs Guida decision because I did not see the entire fight but on everything else, I agree. Great post fight analysis.

You should post more.

Awww, shucks. I post when I can contribute something decent. Sometimes I've got nothing to add to what's already been said. This was a pretty good card with an interesting main event to analyze, and lots of folks are turned in for the night.

Post #7   6/23/12 2:11:58AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Matt Brown has to be the most exciting fighter never to get bonus.

13 fights not one bonus.

Post #8   6/23/12 2:14:27AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,902-1,122
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I liked reading the breakdown near the top but I have 1 criticism, Siler v Lauzon doesn't make any sense, unless I've missed something one of them is a FW and one of them is a LW!

Also, being picky now, it was Nate and not not Nick vs Cowboy.

Sorry

Post #9   6/23/12 6:58:13AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,027-597
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Mildly disappointed with stout for shooting in instead of just slugging it out, but a win is a win and in the end it was still very exciting.
exceptionally disappointed with guida, he legit turned tail and ran in the 4th. He proved his style would work in a 7 round fight because he would have forced any oponnent to quit out of frustration and boredom.
Other than the main event, it was an excellent card...i hope a few of these gents see some under the table boni for the performances.

Post #10   6/23/12 7:00:46AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rabi

I liked reading the breakdown near the top but I have 1 criticism, Siler v Lauzon doesn't make any sense, unless I've missed something one of them is a FW and one of them is a LW!

Also, being picky now, it was Nate and not not Nick vs Cowboy.

Sorry

No worries at all - I appreciate it. Post has been corrected.

Post #11   6/23/12 8:36:21AM