Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bodog

Print  
Posted By Message

chiefwiggum

MMA Regular

chiefwiggum Avatar

Career:140-72
Camp: whoflungpoo
Chips:
Am I the only one turned off by Bodog because of the television show? I had to stop watching after the forth one. I just could not take the corny crappy acting anymore. Was this extremely annoying to anyone else?

Post #1   1/27/07 5:51:10PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
I can't hate Bodog even as much as I want to. That company promotes anything that is the hot ticket at the time. First it was poker and now it's MMA. But if Bodog manages to produce any number off new MMA fans, or gives a well-deserved fighter some exposure it is contributing to the sport.

Post #2   1/28/07 4:27:47AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Anyone care to explain the deal with Bodog? I've only briefly heard of bodog poker and obviously knew about the MMA events but other than that whats the TV show and that?

Post #3   1/28/07 5:05:28AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by nate22

Anyone care to explain the deal with Bodog? I've only briefly heard of bodog poker and obviously knew about the MMA events but other than that whats the TV show and that?

I think it's a reality TUF like show, but not done as well. I think at the last PPV one of the guys at my house was talking about it while we were barbecueing, but I don't remeber much. I was talkin football with someone else, and only caught enough to think about asking about it later and forgot .I'll ask him at the next PPV.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   1/28/07 6:15:41AM   

Livershot

MMA Regular

Livershot Avatar

Career:710-423
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nate22

I think it's a reality TUF like show, but not done as well. I think at the last PPV one of the guys at my house was talking about it while we were barbecueing, but I don't remeber much. I was talkin football with someone else, and only caught enough to think about asking about it later and forgot .I'll ask him at the next PPV.

It was TUF style reality show set in the Costa Rican jungle, the last PPV was USA v Russia and i personally felt it was a load of crap. The PPV featured the debut in MMA of Roger Gracie

They are currently filming series 2 in St Petersburg, the PPV this time is due to feature Fedor (v Lindland)

On a side note Nate, Brad "One Punch" Pickett has just pulled out of the next Cage Rage to fight in Bodog, I can only assume on the aforementioned PPV in March

www.bodogfight.com

Post #5   1/28/07 11:49:27AM   

thelastking

MMA Regular

thelastking Avatar

Career:1,905-1,167
Chips:
Yeah there TV show was horrible i couldnt watch after second episode. I didnt catch the PPV but heard it was pretty badly done as well

Post #6   1/30/07 7:19:40PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

I can't hate Bodog even as much as I want to. That company promotes anything that is the hot ticket at the time. First it was poker and now it's MMA. But if Bodog manages to produce any number off new MMA fans, or gives a well-deserved fighter some exposure it is contributing to the sport.

With the US cracking down on online gambling it was a good idea for Bodog to diversify...

I have heard rumors that their CEO, Calvin Aire (or something like that) is wanted in the US on a laundry list of charges... But no such thing as bad publicity right?

I haven't seen the show, but heard that some of the fights were decent, and you got to give them props for pulling Fedor in to throw down...

Side Note: I just learned that a guy I work with's son is, fighting in Bodog... Nick the Goat Thompson, he's got 2 W's in there already, against Davion Peterson and Ansar Chalangov... Best of luck to ya Nick...

WAR NICK THOMPSON...

and WAR MINNESOTA

Post #7   1/31/07 8:43:09PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Doest anyone else find it ironic how Bodogs Russia vs USA was in Vancouver, Canada??? That seemed pretty dam funny to me.

Post #8   2/5/07 1:37:51PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
They also need to get thier PPV available in all Satelite an Cable companies. In addition , they need to charge less than UFC/Pride unless they get more established figter's for it. They only have 2 matchups right now, and I want to see tehm both, but they need more to get me to buy the PPV, even if it is Fedor.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   2/5/07 10:36:39PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Yeah any PPV that Charges more and isnt the best. Wont sell great. Until they are actually better than UFC or Pride they should keep their prices fairly low.

Post #10   2/5/07 10:54:24PM