Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shogun Sets the Record Straight on Refusal of Teixeira Fight

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If it quacks like a duck . . . and turns down a fight like a duck . . . it's a duck.

But I don't really have a problem with it. Why would someone want to enter a huge risk/no reward fight like Glover? You wouldn't bitch if the UFC turned down an opportunity to counter-program the Super Bowl, or didn't allow its champs to fight the Bellator champs.

It is a business for the fighters, too. They don't have long careers, and no one is taking care of them after its over. Shogun is 2-3 in his last 5. This is a crucial point in his career. A main event against Vera on FOX is infinitely more desirable than a fight with Glover from Shogun's pov.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight get made in the future if there is a potential title shot on the line, but for right now Shogun is ducking it because it is a shitty fight for his career.

Post #31   6/17/12 4:28:32PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by sbulldavid

Everybody thinks real highly of Texeira but come on whose the best guy he's beaten, a past his prime Ricco,. This is all a charade to get Texeira a title shot and
I hope he gets one but honestly, Shogun isn't in the title picture right now so how does that warrant a title shot.

agree, they wanted to build up Teixeira by tearing down Shogun and Shogun wasn't going for it.

Dana is just pissed that Shogun isn't playing along.

So you are saying Shogun was gonna lose? Lol Good argument against ducking. Don't take fights you will lose. Where would the UFC be if everyone did that?

Post #32   6/17/12 9:15:14PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Same damn thing when Liddell was coming off the 2nd Rampage loss. He needed a win to get back on track and Chuck was presented with four possible opponents. Keith Jardine, "Shogun" Rua, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Lyoto Machida. Based on several factors, including popularity and familiarity, the decision was made to go with Jardine.

He wasn't given options. He was offered Glover and refused. Big difference.

Post #33   6/17/12 9:18:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by sbulldavid

Everybody thinks real highly of Texeira but come on whose the best guy he's beaten, a past his prime Ricco,. This is all a charade to get Texeira a title shot and
I hope he gets one but honestly, Shogun isn't in the title picture right now so how does that warrant a title shot.

agree, they wanted to build up Teixeira by tearing down Shogun and Shogun wasn't going for it.

So you are saying Shogun was gonna lose? Lol Good argument against ducking. Don't take fights you will lose. Where would the UFC be if everyone did that?

Strange.....

I re-read my post several times. No where do I say that I think Shogun was going to lose.

Post #34   6/18/12 11:13:08AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,481
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Same damn thing when Liddell was coming off the 2nd Rampage loss. He needed a win to get back on track and Chuck was presented with four possible opponents. Keith Jardine, "Shogun" Rua, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Lyoto Machida. Based on several factors, including popularity and familiarity, the decision was made to go with Jardine.

Turning down a fight is an option

Post #35   6/18/12 12:59:34PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Turning down a fight is an option

But that doesnt mean you are not ducking, nor is it the same thing as picking from 4 different fighters.

Post #36   6/19/12 2:56:23PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by sbulldavid

Strange.....

I re-read my post several times. No where do I say that I think Shogun was going to lose.

The only way to build Glover up by "tearing Shogun down" would be if he lost. You can say something without saying it directly.

Post #37   6/19/12 2:57:53PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Rampage could fight Teixeira. That would be fun.

Or

Gustafsson vs Teixeira?

Post #38   6/19/12 6:24:07PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Rampage could fight Teixeira. That would be fun.

Or

Gustafsson vs Teixeira?

Is Gustafsson hurt? I thought he was hurt. Id watch either fight though. Would be interesting. I think it wouldnt be fair to Alexander. He is actually firmly in the title picture, unlike Shogun. I think he would lose to Gust and kill Rampage, but Id love to see either.

Post #39   6/19/12 7:02:27PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

If it quacks like a duck . . . and turns down a fight like a duck . . . it's a duck.

But I don't really have a problem with it. Why would someone want to enter a huge risk/no reward fight like Glover? You wouldn't bitch if the UFC turned down an opportunity to counter-program the Super Bowl, or didn't allow its champs to fight the Bellator champs.

It is a business for the fighters, too. They don't have long careers, and no one is taking care of them after its over. Shogun is 2-3 in his last 5. This is a crucial point in his career. A main event against Vera on FOX is infinitely more desirable than a fight with Glover from Shogun's pov.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight get made in the future if there is a potential title shot on the line, but for right now Shogun is ducking it because it is a shitty fight for his career.

Hypothetical: So if co-promotion was possible and they offered Shogun a fight with Virgil Zwicker from Strikeforce for example and Shogun says no, it's still ducking to people at that point? This is essentially the same situation. Teixeira has no name, has barely any big league experience, and at this point of his career it's hard to see him beating Shogun anyway on top of that Glover can't headline yet, which makes you more money and gets you more money from sponsors etc. to headline.

Post #40   6/19/12 7:11:18PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Cooler

Posted by ncordless

Hypothetical: So if co-promotion was possible and they offered Shogun a fight with Virgil Zwicker from Strikeforce for example and Shogun says no, it's still ducking to people at that point? This is essentially the same situation. Teixeira has no name, has barely any big league experience, and at this point of his career it's hard to see him beating Shogun anyway on top of that Glover can't headline yet, which makes you more money and gets you more money from sponsors etc. to headline.

LMAO I guess you know little of Glover. This guy is no joke. Evevn Shogun says that. BTW people are forgetting that the UFC thought Glover was name enough to headline, so he must have some value to them. If Glover is no match for Shogun why didnt he accept the fight? Didnt take him long to jump on the bum they gave him.

Post #41   6/20/12 7:17:40PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll
You can say something without saying it directly.

You can also infer something that isn't someone else's intention.

For the record - 95% of the fighters in the UFC have turned down a fight at one point or another. Why aren't you berating all the other fighters? If what you have qualm with is really "ducking", than why is it you only talk about Shogun? Clearly you don't have a problem with turning down fights, you just have a problem with Glover being turned down. Why? Because you're a Glover fan, you're nutty, and clearly you can't identify your own motivations.

Post #42   6/20/12 7:32:53PM   

MMA Regular

187 Avatar

Career:381-261
Chips:
this ain't rocky, glover hasn't beaten anyone with enough name value to warrant a fight with a contender like shogun, if shogun lost to him the ufc could argue that he lost to a no name fightter when they negotiate contracts and short change him like they did Werdum when he lost to dos santos.

Shogun won't have a problem with the fight when glover beats a couple of opponents stronger than kingsbury.

Post #43   6/20/12 11:43:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Chips:
Glover not a top fighter but vera is !!!!
Okay!!!

Post #44   6/21/12 8:02:30AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Cooler

Posted by ncordless

LMAO I guess you know little of Glover. This guy is no joke. Evevn Shogun says that. BTW people are forgetting that the UFC thought Glover was name enough to headline, so he must have some value to them. If Glover is no match for Shogun why didnt he accept the fight? Didnt take him long to jump on the bum they gave him.

Actually I do, I posted in the UFC signs Glover thread happy that he was signed and I think I posted in this thread about how I respect Glover and his skills but turning down the fight was the right move for Rua. The UFC thought Glover could headline? Where's the Dana quote on that one so I can mention how much I don't trust him.

Glover vs Shogun was not headlining a PPV you're being delusional.

Post #45   6/21/12 4:53:05PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3