Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shogun Sets the Record Straight on Refusal of Teixeira Fight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This is basic risk reward stuff. Yes he's ducking, but I agree 100% with what he has to say. I would be willing to bet a huge amount of money that Shogun would fight Glover if he carried the name power that Brandon Vera did.

Post #16   6/16/12 12:47:15PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
hopefully, for us non-haters, this means Shogun sees his next fight as a "Must-Win." good for us. bad for Vera.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #17   6/16/12 2:49:30PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by Shawn91111

In before Shogun and Pride nutriders, Shogun is scared, he is a coward etc

I don't understand this statement at all. When Shogun was in Pride yea he took any fight because he only had EVERYTHING to gain. Shogun is an elite fighter, this is a business decision. If Shogun beats Teixeira, ok so what. Teixeira is still new and no one has even heard of him. If Shogun were to lose, the UFC would want to cut his pay. Shogun has absolutely nothing to gain from this fight. Brandon Vera is not that good but still, he is a relatively big name. Shogun fought Dangerous Dan Henderson, Jon Jones, and Machida twice, you have nothing to go on saying he is a coward. Stupid statement, and very smart decision by Shogun.

You obviously didnt get the sarcasm nor read the previous 5 threads done to death about Shogun and Glover.

Yea I did after I went back and read... didn't feel like deleting it

Post #18   6/16/12 3:37:50PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by the-king

???

Just saying....

It's a bit silly to say Shogun is "ducking."

I don't think he's scared of Teixeira. He just doesn't understand why he would be ranked with such a low ranked guy.

Even if he could be a 100% sure that he would beat him, the fight still wouldn't make sense.

There are bigger name opponents out there for Shogun.

Post #19   6/16/12 3:53:05PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by the-king

???

Just saying....

It's a bit silly to say Shogun is "ducking."

I don't think he's scared of Teixeira. He just doesn't understand why he would be ranked with such a low ranked guy.

Even if he could be a 100% sure that he would beat him, the fight still wouldn't make sense.

There are bigger name opponents out there for Shogun.

Such as Brandon Vera

Post #20   6/16/12 6:02:28PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:
This whole topic is so stupid. Shogun is clearly ducking, there is no other way to explain why he declines Glover and then accepts Vera when Glover is a better win that Vera.

SO LETS REREAD THIS

Shogun wants to fight the best, but turns down a top fighter, in Shoguns own words.

Shogun wants to fight the best, but then accepts a fight with Vera.

Shogun doesn't pick fights and fights anyone, but refuses to fight Glover.

At least Ill give Shogun credit that he admitted the duck instead of continuing to call Dana a liar.

Its all about the easy win. Like I stated on another thread, the people defending Shogun would be singing a different tune if this was Bisping turning down Lombard for the same reason.

Last edited 6/16/12 6:17PM server time by lll-lll
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   6/16/12 6:13:00PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

This is basic risk reward stuff. Yes he's ducking, but I agree 100% with what he has to say. I would be willing to bet a huge amount of money that Shogun would fight Glover if he carried the name power that Brandon Vera did.

Let me correct your last statement for you

I would be willing to bet a huge amount of money that Shogun would fight Glover if he had the poors skills that Brandon Vera did.

Post #22   6/16/12 6:16:07PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
I don't see the big deal in all of this. Just Dana being a drama queen threatening to cut former champions for not taking a no name with nothing to gain from the fight and couldn't even co-headline against.

Post #23   6/16/12 7:06:36PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

This whole topic is so stupid. Shogun is clearly ducking, there is no other way to explain why he declines Glover and then accepts Vera when Glover is a better win that Vera.

SO LETS REREAD THIS

Shogun wants to fight the best, but turns down a top fighter, in Shoguns own words.

At least Ill give Shogun credit that he admitted the duck instead of continuing to call Dana a liar.

Its all about the easy win. Like I stated on another thread, the people defending Shogun would be singing a different tune if this was Bisping turning down Lombard for the same reason.

Dude....

Shogun has fought the best the sport has to offer for years.

Just look at the list of his last several opponents.

Yes, he's turning down the fight. But ducking is a stupid term to use.

"Ducking" implies fear. I can just about guarantee you that Shogun is not scared of any fighter on the planet. He's already fought the best of them.

The match-up doesn't make sense for him. Nobody knows who Teixeira is.

Brandon Vera might not be top fighter or anything, but he's had a lot more fights in the UFC. Casual fans know who he is. At one point he was considered a future title contender.

This whole situation is the UFC's fault. It was dumb matchmaking to begin with.

Post #24   6/16/12 10:43:20PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,358-789
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by lll-lll

SO LETS REREAD THIS

Dude....

Shogun has fought the best the sport has to offer for years.

Just look at the list of his last several opponents.

Yes, he's turning down the fight. But ducking is a stupid term to use.

"Ducking" implies fear. I can just about guarantee you that Shogun is not scared of any fighter on the planet. He's already fought the best of them.

The match-up doesn't make sense for him. Nobody knows who Teixeira is.

Brandon Vera might not be top fighter or anything, but he's had a lot more fights in the UFC. Casual fans know who he is. At one point he was considered a future title contender.

This whole situation is the UFC's fault. It was dumb matchmaking to begin with.

Post #25   6/17/12 12:20:43AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
It wasn't that long ago that Shogun and his camp fully denied being offered the fight, but now they want to "set the record straight" that they were offered the fight, but decided against the bout, to fight another guy with name value (I don't think anyone believes there is much value left in Vera's name and I'm even a supporter of Vera and still crossing my fingers for the upset.) That's understandable, even though Glover's 1 UFC win probably gave his name more value then vera's last 4 fights combined, but what was the point of saying they weren't offered the fight in the first place? why not just stick with the "I'm going with a household name and not a UFC newcomer"?? Was it because he wasn't offered the Vera fight yet and couldn't fall back on that? I'm not going to say he was ducking Glover, but more likely trying to lock in job security. He probably isn't afraid of any fighter, but he has to know there is a chance that Glover can land a shot at any moment and put him out and leaving him with back to back losses. Vera being a far less dangerous fight and almost gaurenteing he will walk away with a W, is the smart thing to do, just how they went about it all just seems odd.

Post #26   6/17/12 12:29:06AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:
I dont think he is afraid of Glover in a fight. I think he is afraid of the loss he stands a good chance of getting. Clearly ducking Glover to fight Vera shows that he was looking to fight lesser competition. He wants an easy win. Is he afraid to fight Glover in fear of getting hurt? No. Is he afraid his career could be put on life support if he got crushed? Yes.

The reality is that it would be much worse for Shogun if he lost to Vera. People would respect Glover if he beat Shogun. However if he loses to Vera it will ruin his career. But he knows that Vera has little to no chance in beating him while Glover is a very dangerous man. People have lost all respect for Vera. He is the UFC's version of Heath Herring. He was thought of for a short period of time as a serious contender, then we all found out that he was no where near the level that he had first teased.

Post #27   6/17/12 6:30:30AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,358-789
Chips:
Everybody thinks real highly of Texeira but come on whose the best guy he's beaten, a past his prime Ricco,. This is all a charade to get Texeira a title shot and
I hope he gets one but honestly, Shogun isn't in the title picture right now so how does that warrant a title shot.

Post #28   6/17/12 11:35:47AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Everybody thinks real highly of Texeira but come on whose the best guy he's beaten, a past his prime Ricco,. This is all a charade to get Texeira a title shot and
I hope he gets one but honestly, Shogun isn't in the title picture right now so how does that warrant a title shot.

agree, they wanted to build up Teixeira by tearing down Shogun and Shogun wasn't going for it.

Dana is just pissed that Shogun isn't playing along.

Post #29   6/17/12 3:57:03PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Chips:
Same damn thing when Liddell was coming off the 2nd Rampage loss. He needed a win to get back on track and Chuck was presented with four possible opponents. Keith Jardine, "Shogun" Rua, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Lyoto Machida. Based on several factors, including popularity and familiarity, the decision was made to go with Jardine.

Post #30   6/17/12 4:23:02PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3