Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

If GSP Isn’t Healthy, Martin Kampmann Ready for Condit Rematch

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The waiting game for a fighter is sometimes the toughest spot in the world to sit in, but Martin Kampmann is completely okay with that right now.

The battle tested welterweight is coming off two hard fought wars in recent months in which he submitted Thiago Alves and then knocked out Jake Ellenberger, putting him in prime position as a top contender in the welterweight division.

LINK

Post #1   6/15/12 6:17:51AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I personally think Martin is more deserving of a shot at Condit then Johnny is but thats just my opinion.

Post #2   6/15/12 10:24:20AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Chips:

Posted by sparky

I personally think Martin is more deserving of a shot at Condit then Johnny is but thats just my opinion.

he's definatley been on a harder road and fought more wars, on the other hand hendricks has the more impressive win streak.

Post #3   6/15/12 10:33:57AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Kampmann may have gone through more wars but that does not mean he has beaten better competition. You go to war not because you are good. You to go war because you and your opponent are evenly matched.

Hendricks has beaten the former number one contender, Josh Koscheck, and the true number one contender, Jon Fitch. Those two fights alone - weigh a ton of bricks when it comes to contention and rankings.

Post #4   6/15/12 11:52:19AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by sparky

he's definatley been on a harder road and fought more wars, on the other hand hendricks has the more impressive win streak.

agreed. hendricks caught fitch early and Kos is not as relevant as he used to be. kampmann just took out IMO the #1 contender in ellenberger. i think kampmann deserves his shot, especially after all the wars and comebacks that he has done.

Post #5   6/15/12 12:20:03PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

You go to war not because you are good. You to go war because you and your opponent are evenly matched.

I don't know if I agree with that. A close fight is often a sign of evenly matched competitors, true. But Hendricks fights have been arguably closer than Kampmann's. Hendricks was gifted a split decision against Koscheck. And I say that as a Hendricks fan and Koscheck hater. While he did do Fitch dirty, his fight before that with Mike Pierce was another razor thin SD.

Meanwhile, Kampmann KOed Ellenberger, subbed Thiago Alves, beat Rick Story down (who Hendricks lost to), and most people I know agree he beat Shields and Sanchez. He also beat Condit who is the interim chump right now. (Sorry, I meant "champ" )

Post #6   6/15/12 3:54:40PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster

You go to war not because you are good. You to go war because you and your opponent are evenly matched.

I don't know if I agree with that. A close fight is often a sign of evenly matched competitors, true. But Hendricks fights have been arguably closer than Kampmann's. Hendricks was gifted a split decision against Koscheck. And I say that as a Hendricks fan and Koscheck hater. While he did do Fitch dirty, his fight before that with Mike Pierce was another razor thin SD.

Meanwhile, Kampmann KOed Ellenberger, subbed Thiago Alves, beat Rick Story down (who Hendricks lost to), and most people I know agree he beat Shields and Sanchez. He also beat Condit who is the interim chump right now. (Sorry, I meant "champ" )

what P$ said

couldnt have said it better myself

Post #7   6/15/12 4:49:49PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster

what P$ said

couldnt have said it better myself

Post #8   6/15/12 4:51:43PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
Personally I feel they ought to just strip GSP of the title. This sh*t is getting old.

Post #9   6/15/12 5:05:48PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster

Kampmann got a gift in the Alves fight, and there is no way Kampmann beat Shields in that fight.

In terms of who they beat recently, Hendricks > Kampmann.
In terms of who has the better chance at beating Condit, Kampmann > Henricks

either way, GSP beats them all

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   6/15/12 5:54:11PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Kampmann got a gift in the Alves fight, and there is no way Kampmann beat Shields in that fight.

I'm going to have to disagree with all of the above.

Having the wherewithal and grappling acumen to capitalize on an opponent taking you down, reversing a dominant position and finishing them after being badly hurt is not a gift. If that's what you want to call it, it's the gift of skill that Kampmann gave himself. One can argue Thiago wins if he doesn't go for a takedown. That may be true, but that's not what happened. Thiago got finished.

As far as who has beat better competition lately, I suppose that is as relative as anything. I would argue Kampmann has done better against comparable competition, and I think Kampmann would beat Fitch, Kos and Pierce just as handily as Hendricks.

And just saying GSP> Kampmann or Hendicks.... GSP hasn't fought in a long time. Whenever he does fight again, it will have been even longer. And this is a potential career altering injury he is rehabbing. GSP did not look impressive against Shields at all in my opinion, eyepoke or not. Who knows what he will look like against a Condit, Kampmann, Hendricks, etc.

Post #11   6/16/12 2:04:12AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Bubbles

I'm going to have to disagree with all of the above.

Having the wherewithal and grappling acumen to capitalize on an opponent taking you down, reversing a dominant position and finishing them after being badly hurt is not a gift. If that's what you want to call it, it's the gift of skill that Kampmann gave himself. One can argue Thiago wins if he doesn't go for a takedown. That may be true, but that's not what happened. Thiago got finished.

As far as who has beat better competition lately, I suppose that is as relative as anything. I would argue Kampmann has done better against comparable competition, and I think Kampmann would beat Fitch, Kos and Pierce just as handily as Hendricks.

And just saying GSP> Kampmann or Hendicks.... GSP hasn't fought in a long time. Whenever he does fight again, it will have been even longer. And this is a potential career altering injury he is rehabbing. GSP did not look impressive against Shields at all in my opinion, eyepoke or not. Who knows what he will look like against a Condit, Kampmann, Hendricks, etc.

I have to agree with P$ here.

And as far as Kampmann vs. Shields goes, I scored it for Kampmann, just like I did with the Sanchez fight. In my opinion, he should be on a 7 fight win streak over top competition.

Post #12   6/16/12 3:18:20AM