Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Liquor Thread

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
I know, I stole this from the beer thread...

Let's talk about liquor.

I'm kind of a whiskey guy personally...so here goes.

1. Jameson's
Its not very expensive, and has a good taste. Triple distilled, and the world's best selling Irish Whiskey.

2. Bushmill's
The world's oldest whiskey distillery. It is another good, strong Irish whiskey.

3. Johnny Walker Blue
It's a high end scotch. I have a distributer buddy who gets it for me at about $130 a bottle, but I've found it as high as $210 in liquor stores. I actually found a good description of it on a website:
"Bright orange-amber hue. Medium-bodied with elegant floral and high-toned peaty flavors that persist through the salty-tinged finish. A complex and flavorful whisky." - Rated 93, Beverage Tasting Institute.

Unquestionably one of the finest blended whiskies in the world."

4. Don Julio
Its tequila, obviously. One of the best I've ever had. It is smooth, has a rich golden color, and only about $50 a bottle. If you've got the money, its the best margarita tequila you will ever find. However, it is plenty good enough to sip as well.

5. Alfonso's Wooden Barrel Tequila
This is actually produced by a local guy who used to own a resturuant in town called "Dr. Margaritas." He had a class system for his margaritas, which topped out at 10, which was $350 a margarita, or $300 a shot. This is his top shelf shit. He makes it in little wooden barrels, and it is by far the best tequila I have ever had. He recently sold the business, but still makes the tequila. I've never drank anything like it to be honest. Next time he makes a new batch, I'll probably by another bottle....at $500, discounted price.

Alright I'm too wasted to move onto my gin tastes....let's see what you guys have to say.

Post #1   5/25/07 11:59:30PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
For whiskey I would have to say I am a scotch man over irish whiskey. The Glenlivet is a great single malt and I have always been fond of Dewars.

My favorite vodka is definitely Ciroc. It is distilled from grapes, goes down smooth and has a great after taste. Since it isn't found in alot of bars my fallback would be kettle one.

Sometimes I have an itch that only my friend burbon can scratch, then it has to be knob creek.

Post #2   5/26/07 12:20:24AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Laphroaig is the Scotch for me.

Aside from that, I steer clear from most hard liquor.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   5/26/07 12:43:28AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Laphroaig is the Scotch for me.

Aside from that, I steer clear from most hard liquor.

I hear ya....i would participate on this thread,but i am a beer man.

Liquor makes me sick,and it just tastes bad,unless its a Margarita,or Martini,but i dont have time to make that crap!

The last Liquor i remember drinking was this Brandy when we went to Mexico(live like 30 mins away) it was called Don Pedro...AKA Presidente...and Bacardi Limon.This was like 2 years ago

the usual my buddies get are..

Crown Royal..
Bacardi Limon..
Hornitos (Tequila)
Jose Cuervo(Tequila)
Don Pedro..(Brandy)

but i always buy myself a 12 pack of Budlight most of the time.....its weird..im not like most of you beer drinkers..i stick to 1 kind of beer and buy the same one every time

Post #4   5/26/07 5:56:26AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
If we are talking spirits, then Jagermeister is the one for me!

Cant really describe the taste of this one, nothing else tastes quite like it, so I have no reference point for comparison! It has a really herbal taste though, not too sweet, and very complex (over 50 herbs and spices go into it ! ), but its damn good. Gotta keep the bottle in the freezer though, it should be served at a very low temperature!

Post #5   5/26/07 7:28:53AM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:
I love vodka, Stolichnaya is my favorite. I'm baffled why people buy Grey Goose, it taste like Smirnoff imo. And Skyy? I'm convinced the only reason people buy Skyy is because of the pretty blue bottle, I've never liked the taste of Skyy Vodka.

Black Seal Rum is really good. Suauza is a very decent tequila for the money. Jegermeister hits me pretty hard, I love it.

I've never really been a scotch drinker, I have enough hair on my chest, thank you. I do love bourbons though; Fighting Cock, Bulliet, and . . . oh yeah, Jack Daniel's, haha.

My favorite shots are Screaming Nazis, 1/1 Jagermeister/Rumple Minze. You won't remember anything the next morning.

Last edited 5/26/07 6:15PM server time by hcazlekker
Edit note/reason: mizpeld sumtin

Post #6   5/26/07 6:13:36PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Cant really describe the taste of this one, nothing else tastes quite like it, so I have no reference point for comparison! It has a really herbal taste though, not too sweet, and very complex (over 50 herbs and spices go into it ! ), but its damn good. Gotta keep the bottle in the freezer though, it should be served at a very low temperature!

I think it tastes a bit like black licorice. I don't mind it though, it goes down really smooth.

Post #7   5/27/07 12:59:34PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Mastodon2

I think it tastes a bit like black licorice. I don't mind it though, it goes down really smooth.

It reminds me mostly of nyquil. I leave that stuff to the kiddies.

Post #8   5/27/07 7:52:11PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I've never had Jager before, but I'd like to try it.

Odd story, but I have a friend who, for whatever reason, is basically immune the stuff. He can drink the small (500ml?) bottle himself and absolutely nothing happens. I've tried to convince him to get into some drinkings contests at a college and make some $$$.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #9   5/28/07 2:57:35AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Hey, do you get the German Jager over there, or does every place outside of Germany get the same kind of Jager? I heard the German stuff makes you hallucinate and was wondering if thats true.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #10   5/28/07 3:01:04AM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
I think you are thinking of absinth (sp?)

Post #11   5/28/07 3:22:53AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i have just the most teency bit of absinthe left over crazy stuff

Post #12   5/28/07 2:32:01PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Mastodon2

Hey, do you get the German Jager over there, or does every place outside of Germany get the same kind of Jager? I heard the German stuff makes you hallucinate and was wondering if thats true.

Sounds like you are confusing it with Absinthe, a strong European Liquor (brands vary between 40-85% vol), and it has a lot of folk tales and urban myth surrounding it - its supposed to make you hallucinate, but modern scientific investigation has showed that it has no hallucinogens - so if you do drink it and have hallucinations, then it is likely a reaction caused by your brain believing so strongly that it will have hallucinations that it actually starts to create them of its own accord.

"Proper" Absinthe is disgusting on its own, you need to melt a sugar cube on a spoon (makes you look like a drug addict!) and pour the syrup into the measure of liqour before you down it, otherwise its disgustingly bitter. Off the shelf Absinthe is presweetened, and tastes ok, but for the authentic experience, you gotta get the real stuff that is rank without adding sugar. And no, I didnt hallucinate, but by the time i had tried it, Id read the proof that its not a hallucinogen. Had I not read this first, god knows what crazy images might have flooded my mind!

Post #13   5/28/07 4:19:55PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I read somewhere that the German stuff is strained through opium paper or something, but I wasn't sure if it was an urban legend, but I guess so.

I've heard drinking wood alcohol will damn near kill you, so I could see Absinthe doing something to you. I think its like vanilla extract, where its not itself a hallucinogen, but causes your body to go into toxic shock, which in turn makes you hallucinate.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #14   5/28/07 8:51:21PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Mastodon2

Yeah, you're thinking about Absinthe. I've never tried it but a few of my buddies have. Jager is great though, but mostly like triple sec, and stolichnaya.

Oh yeah, and Yuengling, still the best brew out there. And would drink that over anything hard anyday.

Last edited 5/28/07 9:01PM server time by bayonetxwork
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   5/28/07 8:59:27PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2