Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Manager: Shogun Rua Taking High Road Following Dana White Revelation

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and his team are done talking about UFC 149 and Glover Teixeira.

Less than a week after UFC president Dana White said on the UFC on FX 3 post-fight show that Rua told him he would rather be cut from the UFC rather than fight Teixeira at UFC 149, his manager Julio Heller told MMAFighting.com that they would have no further comment on the situation...

Link

Post #1   6/13/12 9:29:00AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Anyone else see Dana's post on the UG telling the fans complaining that he revealed the information that he'll just `start lying to them if they're going to be pussies`.

I lol'd.

Post #2   6/13/12 10:45:22AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dana sure likes to cause fires

Post #3   6/13/12 12:15:26PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm split on all this shit. I feel the best thing for Dana and the fighter's to do is shut up and keep it all in house. I feel that's the best thing for the company from a business standpoint but at the same time i'm glad that it comes out so that we all know what's really up.

Post #4   6/13/12 1:22:21PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Glover Teixeira - The name sounds like a cross breed between a Russian, a Mongolian, a Japanese, a Brazilian, an American, and maybe even a Viking. I would be afraid too.

Post #5   6/13/12 1:48:15PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,290-1,399
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Dana needs to relax and stop opening his mouth on what he truly thinks. We all get Dana's personality, but he is representing the UFC, which if he forgets he doesnt own. Dana is pissing off the wrong fighters, and with that being said, i guess he doesnt care. I think UFC has basically made MMA now UFC. So if fighters dont like it, they will be stuck to take less money, or fight for the UFC. To me it seems UFC has planned it to work out this way, and now they can be rude, and have a no care attitude, because fighters now need the UFC more than the UFC needs them. What a joke. But hey, we knew it would eventually happen. right?

Post #6   6/13/12 1:55:23PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by JoeWarren33

Dana needs to relax and stop opening his mouth on what he truly thinks. We all get Dana's personality, but he is representing the UFC, which if he forgets he doesnt own. Dana is pissing off the wrong fighters, and with that being said, i guess he doesnt care. I think UFC has basically made MMA now UFC. So if fighters dont like it, they will be stuck to take less money, or fight for the UFC. To me it seems UFC has planned it to work out this way, and now they can be rude, and have a no care attitude, because fighters now need the UFC more than the UFC needs them. What a joke. But hey, we knew it would eventually happen. right?

I love how people blame Dana for this, and not the fighter who ducked a fight. The Shogun love that runs strong in Shogun and Pride nutriders will never cease to amaze me.

Not getting public with this is the smartest thing his camp can do, just let it die and hopefully the compalints of cowardice will go away. I especially like the part where they manager doesnt answer the straight forward question if Shogun turned it do. He just says "What do you think?" That isnt an answer, that is some political speak so that if Dana's claim was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt then he could say they never denied it. There is not one straight forward answer in the whole damn article, just a bunch of BS answers. It is a joke.

Post #7   6/13/12 4:15:11PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Chips:
I personally love Dana's honesty.

He always says to people that if fighters don't want him to repeat things he hears, then don't tell him in the first place.

The fight was a lose/lose situation for Shogun. That to me is a good enough reason for not taking it.

Post #8   6/13/12 4:35:11PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Why should Shogun take the fight, why is this still being brought up, who gives a fuck, there aren't any professional fighters out there that are scared and ducking other fighters unless there is a financial reason for it. This is DW's good cop bad cop routine, this is a business this isn't your Uncle Dana trying to keep you fed this is your molester Uncle trying to rape you and he'll throw Texiera under the bus when he's threw with him too.

Post #9   6/13/12 10:15:12PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Why should Shogun take the fight, why is this still being brought up, who gives a fuck, there aren't any professional fighters out there that are scared and ducking other fighters unless there is a financial reason for it. This is DW's good cop bad cop routine, this is a business this isn't your Uncle Dana trying to keep you fed this is your molester Uncle trying to rape you and he'll throw Texiera under the bus when he's threw with him too.

Im so beyond sick of hearing this from the Shogun/Pride nuthuggers.

REASONS SHOGUN SHOULD TAKE THE FIGHT

#1 Last time I checked he is a fighter. Just shut up and fight.

#2 Anyone with some self respect should have taken the fight once Dana called him out. His name has been sullied thanks to his pussing out of this fight. He shouldve taken the fight.

#3. No one wants to see him and Vera. Its a joke and makes him look even worse in this situation. He robbed us, as fans, of a great fight between him and Glover for a crap fight between him and Vera which has gotten widespread complaints. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THAT FIGHT!

#4. Shogun has no reason to not accept the fight. He is not anywhere near a title shot. He is just another fighter like Glover. This BS that Shogun is too good or high ranked for the Glover fight is a damn joke.

#5. Apparently the nuthuggers would have you believe that Glover isn't ranked high enough, but Vera is? WHat would a win over Vera do for Shogun that a win over Glover wouldn't? Not a damn thing! Glover is more highly respected in hardcore circles, and Vera gets no respect from main stream or hardcore fans. Plus fighting Glover would dispell the coward issue he has surrounding him now. Plus as far as rankings goes, who the hell considers Vera higher ranked than Glover?

Shogun/Pride nuthuggers just give it a rest. The Vera fight is a joke. Quit blaming Dana for somthing your fighter did to himself. Also quit acting like Shogun is champion or something. No one questioned his toughness until this happened. This was Shoguns fault, not Dana's. He couldve easily squashed the story and accepted the fight. Yet he took a fight with Vera, making things much worse for himself. He isnt even top 5 and that leaves him NO EXCUSES when offered any fight. No one in their right mind thinks he could beat Jones after the first slaughtering he took or wants to see it except Shogun fans.

Post #10   6/14/12 1:12:27PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
All strange to read and hear really.
Yeah it's hard to think Shogun would turn this down after all the wars he's had but fighting is just as much a business as anything else.

My brother trained with a guy( at the time an up and comer making a decent name) who claimed Phil Baroni turned down two fights with him. He was so ticked about it he even made t shirts about it.
Now if this was true,and as passionate as my brother said his training partner was about I believe him,it doesn't mean Baroni was a chicken or scared to fight,but just perhaps it wasn't the right fight for numerous business reasons.
Who knows? It's not exactly the same case here but just a little food for thought.

I bet theirs so much more behind the closed door politics it would boggle our minds.

Post #11   6/14/12 1:43:59PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Yeah it's hard to think Shogun would turn this down after all the wars he's had but fighting is just as much a business as anything else.

My brother trained with a guy( at the time an up and comer making a decent name) who claimed Phil Baroni turned down two fights with him. He was so ticked about it he even made t shirts about it.
Now if this was true,and as passionate as my brother said his training partner was about I believe him,it doesn't mean Baroni was a chicken or scared to fight,but just perhaps it wasn't the right fight for numerous business reasons.
Who knows? It's not exactly the same case here but just a little food for thought.

I bet theirs so much more behind the closed door politics it would boggle our minds.

All good points. I honestly wouldn't be near as annoyed with all this if Shogun would have just given a simple reason. A simple Im not ready for him or something like that would have been much less damaging than blaming Dana and denying without denying it. Even the truth that he may not feel like Glover is ranked high enough. I dont agree with it, but IMO it would have been better than playing these games and making him and his people look stupid.

BTW adding to your point about politics behind the scenes, Dana claimed that NO ONE wanted to fight Glover. Sounds like Shogun may not be alone in turning him down.

Post #12   6/14/12 4:17:14PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by mrsmiley

All good points. I honestly wouldn't be near as annoyed with all this if Shogun would have just given a simple reason. A simple Im not ready for him or something like that would have been much less damaging than blaming Dana and denying without denying it. Even the truth that he may not feel like Glover is ranked high enough. I dont agree with it, but IMO it would have been better than playing these games and making him and his people look stupid.

BTW adding to your point about politics behind the scenes, Dana claimed that NO ONE wanted to fight Glover. Sounds like Shogun may not be alone in turning him down.

The reason was simple and clear.

Shogun gained nothing from taking a fight against a virtual unknown in Glover Teixera.

Post #13   6/15/12 6:03:39AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:
"They offered Glover to us. I talked with my team, and we decided that Glover would not be interesting now. Glover is a top fighter. I know him. I respect him, but he just got into the UFC. He needs to get more fights. I had nothing to gain with that fight. We told the UFC that, for now, this fight is not interesting for me. After that, the UFC offered Brandon Vera, but they never threatened to cut me, nor I to leave the UFC.

I've never picked my opponents. I've fought against the best, and I wanna keep doing it and to get my chance for the title. For sure, Glover is a top fighter, but today, if I beat him, I would gain nothing. So we decided to refuse this fight, but in the future, this fight can happen."

Straight from the horse's mouth.

LINK

Post #14   6/15/12 6:19:39AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by mrsmiley

The reason was simple and clear.

Shogun gained nothing from taking a fight against a virtual unknown in Glover Teixera.

And he gains what from Vera? Come on build Vera up like a world beater now. Glover is much higher ranked than Vera. This is like saying Lombard doesnt deserve to fight Bisping because he only fought once in the UFC. THAT IS A FREAKING JOKE!

Post #15   6/15/12 5:02:40PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2