Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Shamrock: 'UFC Hall of Fame is not credible unless I’m in it'

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dan Severn is actually the only member of the UFC Hall of Fame who did not fight in the UFC after the Zuffa purchase (not counting Mask obviously). Royce and Ken and everyone else in there fought for Zuffa.

Post #16   6/13/12 12:26:09AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The reason Ken is in is because he was an original UFC tournament winner.

Not the first as we all know Royce was.

Ken was a beast back in the early days I don't care what anyone says.

Hell most people only knew him from the WWF and only found out he actually fought when he got beat down by Tito.

Pioneer.

Last edited 6/13/12 12:57AM server time by george112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   6/13/12 12:47:13AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

1 title reign, 3 defenses and 5 total fights does not mean HOF IMO. That is not even counting the fact that I feel he has been anti UFC for years and couldve have ruined the sport as we know it. I dont think he did as much for the UFC as those other guys did IMO.

Depends if someone sees a Hall of Fame fighter as doing more for the sport than hsi peers or being the most dominant fighter in the UFC in your era. He and Anderson Silva are the only two fighters in UFC history to have at least 5 wins in title fights without a loss (he had 4 defenses, not 3, after becoming the first ever UFC LHW champion... and later the first ever WEC LHW champion and first ever Strikeforce MW champion). I wouldn't argue that he's done more for the UFC than a hundred guys on the current roster and his mouth is a big reason a guy like Severn is in and Frank isn't. The UFC HOF is done by the terms you're on with Dana/Fertitta's anyways. HOF to me is dominance over your peers during your time period in said sport, not being an outstanding ambassador for a sport, but everyone has their own opinion on what makes someone worthy of the HOF in any sport. I wouldn't mind if they just did away with it.

Post #18   6/13/12 12:47:22AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
hes not wrong

Post #19   6/13/12 1:33:09AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Like I said in the Tito nomination thread to me it's more about the impact.....which I feel he really hasn't had much of one. HOF is for those who got it into the mainstream IMO. Randy, Chuck and Tito did amazing things to the UFC's fan base growth and history. Mask, the same though outside the cage. The other guys are purely historical.....important, certainly....impact, yes due to what they did for adding in certain styles that are still critical to understand and master. Frank was not as dominant a Champ as Tito in pure numbers, nor as dynamic outside of the octagon. I don't think he should be included at all, I would rather see BJ Penn, Forrest, Bonnar, and the Pride heroes...Wandy, Page, Cro Cop, etc....

Post #20   6/13/12 1:36:32AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by george112

Hell most people only knew him from the WWF and only found out he actually fought when he got beat down by Tito.

Pioneer.

I may be wrong but just going off memory I never remember Ken winning a tourny.
At any rate,I agree with Frank. He deserves to be in the HOF. I remember being in 6th grade I believe when he was champ and thinking he was probably the toughest guy alive. It's credible without him,but it is a sore spot.

Post #21   6/13/12 6:07:44AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,064-1,097
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Frank should be disqualified from the HOF just for saying Anderson Silva isnt the best middleweight in the world & just the ufc because he was the best middleweight in the world (then he went on to lose Cung Lee).

In all seriousness he "should" be in based off of ressume, I mean the competition he was facing wasn't the stiffest but neither was Colemans & we dont hold it against him when inducting him. He makes it directly based off of him being the best of his era just like Tito did, but not at all because of his impact on the ufc which is another important criteria.

Thats why a some fighters make it in just based off of their impact on the ufc which is just as valid a reason. I know there are going to be a lot of negative people on this forum when Forrest Griffin gets inducted not realizing hes making it based off of impact & not dominance in the cage.

Post #22   6/13/12 7:19:32AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Frank should be disqualified from the HOF just for saying Anderson Silva isnt the best middleweight in the world & just the ufc because he was the best middleweight in the world (then he went on to lose Cung Lee).

In all seriousness he "should" be in based off of ressume, I mean the competition he was facing wasn't the stiffest but neither was Colemans & we dont hold it against him when inducting him. He makes it directly based off of him being the best of his era just like Tito did, but not at all because of his impact on the ufc which is another important criteria.

Thats why a some fighters make it in just based off of their impact on the ufc which is just as valid a reason. I know there are going to be a lot of negative people on this forum when Forrest Griffin gets inducted not realizing hes making it based off of impact & not dominance in the cage.

I agree with you about impact and all that. However, I just dont see the impact Frank had compared to others. Ken, Royce, Tank, and Dan are the 3 guys that everyone knows from the early days. Frank is more known to hardcore fans clearly, but just doesn't have the same impact IMO. Add in the negatives on top of that and I would never put him in. He is like Tito for me, without all the undeniable impact.

Post #23   6/13/12 7:42:55AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by frizzzlecake

If one Shamrock deserves to be inside the UFC then it's Frank. Undefeated Undisputed UFC LHW Champion with three defenses. Not A lot of LHW champions can defend there belt once let alone three times, and he beat Tito Down nicely.

I have to say I am stunned by everyone's agreement with Frank. I totally disagree. 1 title reign, 3 defenses and 5 total fights does not mean HOF IMO. That is not even counting the fact that I feel he has been anti UFC for years and couldve have ruined the sport as we know it. I dont think he did as much for the UFC as those other guys did IMO.

I cant say that I can name one guy on here that Frank was even close to in terms of importance in UFC history.

Mark Coleman, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn , Mask and Ken Shamrock

Hell Id even add Forrest before I would Frank.

If Mark Coleman can make the HOF, than Frank Shamrock definitely deserves to be inducted. He was the man back in the day.

I do have to say though, that it really hurt Frank's legacy that he didn't continue to fight when he was clearly in the prime of his career, perhaps over in PRIDE when that organization was arguably at it's height of popularity and talent.

Last edited 6/13/12 7:48AM server time by warglory

Post #24   6/13/12 7:46:45AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by george112

Pioneer.

I may be wrong but just going off memory I never remember Ken winning a tourny.
At any rate,I agree with Frank. He deserves to be in the HOF. I remember being in 6th grade I believe when he was champ and thinking he was probably the toughest guy alive. It's credible without him,but it is a sore spot.

My bad your right

Last edited 6/13/12 8:19AM server time by george112

Post #25   6/13/12 8:16:58AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Its hard to argue that Frank doesn't deserve to be there. His record speaks for its self. The man was without a doubt one of if not the best fighters and champions in the UFC and his record outside the organisation only adds to his legacy.
Like him or not he deserves to be in the HOF.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #26   6/13/12 9:47:57AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by quezocrema0032

I agree with you about impact and all that. However, I just dont see the impact Frank had compared to others. Ken, Royce, Tank, and Dan are the 3 guys that everyone knows from the early days. Frank is more known to hardcore fans clearly, but just doesn't have the same impact IMO. Add in the negatives on top of that and I would never put him in. He is like Tito for me, without all the undeniable impact.

Frank didn't have the impact the others had but in all fairness by the time Frank came to the UFC they where having more trouble than ever booking shows just because of all the heat coming down on them. Had Frank stayed in the UFC like Tito did I think he would be just as much as in influence.
Just my two cents.

Post #27   6/13/12 2:06:57PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
Only a hater would want Frank kept out of the HOF.

Post #28   6/13/12 2:07:05PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Man speaks the truth dude is a legit top 20 ATG MMA fighter and back in the day before he retired the first time was damn near unstoppable only losing to bigger guys like bas.

Post #29   6/13/12 2:55:24PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
There are better ways to go about this...obviously, Frank does not like his job.

Post #30   6/13/12 3:11:27PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3