Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rich Franklin Considered Using Testosterone Replacement

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former UFC Middleweight champion Rich Franklin has given some thought to using testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) according to an interview with MMA Fighting. Franklin, who will turn 38 in October, faces Wanderlei Silva in the headliner of this month's UFC 147 in Brazil.

Franklin spoke to Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour (video after the jump) and admitted he has investigated the possibility of going on TRT as a means of remaining competitive as he ages.

Here's what Ace had to say:

"Yeah, I've kicked around that idea and everything, and actually I've talked to doctors that work with the UFC and the athletic commission in Nevada and all that kind of stuff. And at 37, my count obviously is not what it was when I was 25, and I'm a candidate for that kind of stuff. I haven't started yet."

LINK

Post #1   6/12/12 11:46:27AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:
I don't have a problem with it IF its is strictly monitored by a Dr. and it is withinthe normal range. When I have a problem with it is when you're injecting yourself and your levels are WAY out of range.

Post #2   6/12/12 1:06:00PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
Inside MMA just had a whole episode on TRT this past week were randy said he looked into but went for the natural, (he kinda had to with his nickname), they even had Kizer on there too. pretty good info on it. but just like prophecy033 said, this needs to be done all through a doctor and i think everything should be documented between the doctor and fighter cause it can easily be abused if there is not constant testing for the TRT user.

Post #3   6/12/12 1:50:40PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Chips:
Good call proph. I would like to take it a step further and end these massive ratios that people with "replacement" therapy end up with...seems more like enhancement therapy.

Post #4   6/12/12 2:04:56PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Good call proph. I would like to take it a step further and end these massive ratios that people with "replacement" therapy end up with...seems more like enhancement therapy.

I agree with you both. If you are getting to a normal level, I don't really have a problem with it. I've heard in several different places that a 1:1 T/E ratio is "average". But average for who? Is the 35 year old who works out two hours a day five days a week going to have the same ratio as some 25 year old who spends 12 hours a day playing WoW? What about the 25 year old who works out and the 40 year old dry-waller? Similar ratios?

Either way, if 1:1 is average, and 4:1 is acceptable by the governing body that oversees the Olympics, I say cap it at 4:1.

Post #5   6/12/12 2:26:40PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by airkerma

I agree with you both. If you are getting to a normal level, I don't really have a problem with it. I've heard in several different places that a 1:1 T/E ratio is "average". But average for who? Is the 35 year old who works out two hours a day five days a week going to have the same ratio as some 25 year old who spends 12 hours a day playing WoW? What about the 25 year old who works out and the 40 year old dry-waller? Similar ratios?

Either way, if 1:1 is average, and 4:1 is acceptable by the governing body that oversees the Olympics, I say cap it at 4:1.

I would be in favor of this but I would take it a bit further. Any fighter granted a TRT exemption would need to sign a contract that states his levels will never exceed __:1 before, directly prior or after the fight.

Post #6   6/12/12 2:40:38PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by pmoney
Is the 35 year old who works out two hours a day five days a week going to have the same ratio as some 25 year old who spends 12 hours a day playing WoW?

You are seriously underestimating the powers of Azeroth

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   6/12/12 6:13:48PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:
4:1 is still extremely rare and far above the majority of the rest of the playing field.

I'd cap it at 2:1, and that's being lenient. Mir had his testosterone injections and tested at 1:1.

Post #8   6/12/12 9:37:37PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:
Synthetic testosterone injections have a half life of 8 days.

So if after a say 360mg injection you have a 16:1 level you will be at approximatley 4:1 in 24 days or 2:1 in 32 days. It's not rocket science and if not for the surprise test, Overeem would've easily been under by the title fight. Why Chael was 16.9:1 at fight time I have no clue.

Post #9   6/12/12 10:09:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Why Chael was 16.9:1 at fight time I have no clue.

My take - he didn't get an exemption, and was going to fail that test if there was even a little bit left in his system. He had to make the choice to fight clean, or to fight with a failed post-test. I think he decided that it would be better to have a better performance, and just jacked up to 17:1 because fuck it, he was going to fail anyway.

Post #10   6/13/12 1:23:33AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
if mir and hendo cn do it with no problems then everyone can theres no excuse for people coming in at 16-1 ratios or w,e just be legit

Post #11   6/13/12 1:36:44AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Why Chael was 16.9:1 at fight time I have no clue.

My take - he didn't get an exemption, and was going to fail that test if there was even a little bit left in his system. He had to make the choice to fight clean, or to fight with a failed post-test. I think he decided that it would be better to have a better performance, and just jacked up to 17:1 because fuck it, he was going to fail anyway.

Yeah, 17:1 is just saying fuck it. You shouldn't be that high unless you're at least a month out from a fight and depending on what dose and the way you administer it you really shouldn't be that high anyways. I want to jack myself up to 17:1 just to see how it feels to want to bench press chicks, shoot 10 stringers back to back, and pillage villages.

Post #12   6/13/12 1:40:14AM