Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roy Nelson calls out winner of Cheick Kongo vs Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera fight at UFC 149

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
The always entertaining and pudgy pugilist Roy Nelson breezed through Dave Herman at UFC 146 on May 26, 2012, with a 51-second knockout that showed the reason(s) "Big Country" is a tough draw for any Heavyweight. It marked a big win that got him back on track after losing to Fabricio Werdum in a hard fought battle at UFC 143 three months prior.

Now, after barely breaking a sweat against "Pee Wee" in Las Vegas, Nevada, Nelson says he wouldn't mind getting back into the mix of things as long as it's a "money" fight. And he already has a few people in mind.

Here is what he told Sherdog:

"I just want a money fight. But if not, I've always wanted to fight [Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira]. I'll take the winner out of Big Nog and Cheick Kongo. I'd love that fight. Of course JDS, Frank [Mir]. There's so many out there. I'll even take the little black guy on the UFC roster where it says TBA. Because if you're in the UFC, you're the best in the world. You can fight that guy and be the next title contender. Brock did it."

Link

Post #1   6/7/12 7:58:16AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
lol Not knocking Roy, cause he has kinda won me over, but this is a lmae call out IMO. I doubt either guy would beat him no matter who won. He is a horrible style match up for both with his power and killer chin.

Id rather see Carwin or Browne vs him. I think it would prove more.

Last edited 6/7/12 9:03AM server time by lll-lll
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/7/12 9:03:03AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Nelson just needs to focus on winning two in a row

Post #3   6/7/12 9:30:49AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,073-623
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Nelson rocks both Kongo and Big Nog. A little sad he's calling out JDS and Mir, considering both of them work him over not too long ago. I would love to see Big Country get his money fight with a returning Lesnar. Big Country has the power to put Lesner away, but not the speed or strength as some of the others that gave Lesnar a problem. On the other side, Lesnar has the strenght and power, but Big Country doesnt quit. I think this would be a good fight.

Post #4   6/7/12 9:53:30AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Nog picks him apart with his reach, and volume attack on the inside. Nog has never had trouble against someone that had shorter arms than him, short of prime Fedor. Plus Nelson on his back isn't quite a BJJ BB. Nog can sweep him and keep him there all round if it hit's the ground.

Kongo is a harder match for Nog IMO, and Kongo a perfect fight for Nelson.

Post #5   6/7/12 11:37:35AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Nelson beats both the French Monster and the Ugly Brazilian

Post #6   6/7/12 11:53:13AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I think Nog picks him apart with his reach, and volume attack on the inside. Nog has never had trouble against someone that had shorter arms than him, short of prime Fedor. Plus Nelson on his back isn't quite a BJJ BB. Nog can sweep him and keep him there all round if it hit's the ground.

No disrespect but I think you are living in the past with the Nog comments. His chin is shot. He is on the verge of the Couture/Liddell chin meltdown and Nelson is the perfect guy to capitalize on that. He doesnt have the power to keep Nelson off of him. If that 6'4 athletic specimen Herman couldnt keep from getting hammered I doubt Nog will. And Herman has power.

Post #7   6/7/12 1:11:52PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Pookie

No disrespect but I think you are living in the past with the Nog comments. His chin is shot. He is on the verge of the Couture/Liddell chin meltdown and Nelson is the perfect guy to capitalize on that. He doesnt have the power to keep Nelson off of him. If that 6'4 athletic specimen Herman couldnt keep from getting hammered I doubt Nog will. And Herman has power.

Couture's chin isn't even shot. He has old man reflexes and can't dodge good enough anymore. Couture doesnt fit the Liddell comparison, nor does comparing Couture's chin to Nog's make any sense at all.

No disrespect but i think you are living in an alternate reality. Herman has horrible boxing defense, and wasn't even throwing those powerful, power shots that you speak of. He was throwing push kicks and Jabs. And got caught over the top throwing a lazy Jab.

On top of that, Power has less to do with keeping an opponent from collapsing range than literally everything else i can think of.

Threat of a takedown - can make you wary of collapsing range
Speed - Hard to collapse range by virtue of smaller openings
Footwork - Hard to collapse range because the range keeps being re-established.
Accuracy - Hard to collapse range because you're eating shots to come in
Threat of the clinch - makes you wary to come in because you can get tied up and neutralized
Stamina - Can be dumb to collapse range, because it causes you to work harder than them, and they have a bigger gas tank to begin with.

Power can make you wary of collapsing range if they have proven they can get you coming in with any of the above skills. But its the other skills that make enforce the range.

I wouldn't have even argued that Nog isn't what he used to be with you, because he isn't. But your argument is all kinds of wrong, and supported with the worst evidence imaginable.

Last edited 6/7/12 2:35PM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/7/12 2:34:16PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I wouldn't have even argued that Nog isn't what he used to be with you, because he isn't. But your argument is all kinds of wrong, and supported with the worst evidence imaginable.

Post #9   6/7/12 3:50:20PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
I think Nelson beats either one.

Post #10   6/7/12 4:39:17PM