Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why UFC dominance can be a bad thing...

Print  
Posted By Message

alex_durward

Learning to Sprawl

Career:131-94
Chips:
Why UFC dominance can be a bad thing

Hi all, here is my latest article on why stronger competition for the UFC can improve the product. Hope you enjoy.

Alex

Post #1   6/6/12 1:23:08AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
I skimmed the article, I didn't really understand why UFC dominance can be a bad thing? Seemed more like a Bellator vs. UFC article to me. I like Bellator, I like tournaments, but i also like watching the best in the world fight one another.

Post #2   6/6/12 2:50:21AM   

alex_durward

Learning to Sprawl

Career:131-94
Chips:
It is a bad thing because as other televised shows bite the dust, it leaves fighters with less options to ply their trade. Like any negotiation, if the employer holds most of the cards like the UFC do, its hard to get a good deal. My point is that as the UFC buys up or outlasts competition, they end up in too powerful a position. As for Bellator, they finally pose a threat being owned by Viacom with guaranteed tv exposure and big dollar backing can be good for the sport.

Post #3   6/6/12 3:30:40AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't like any monopoly's on anything.

Post #4   6/6/12 8:47:44AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,283-1,272
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I confess I didn't read the whole article. I look at it like this. I'm not really concerned that the UFC will have, or could have, a monopoly on MMA.
1. MMA is international. There are just too many fighters in this world, they can't all fit in the UFC and expect to fight with any frequency.
2. As soon as promotions figure out that they can survive if they offer something different than the UFC, they'll have more success. Like the Bellator example - they offer a tournament that the UFC cannot or will not offer. Tournaments are cool. The ingenuity and pioneering that can and should go on can make the difference to a new promotion.

...just throwing some ideas out there in support of #2:
- A promotion that pushes the rules towards more NHB - there could be a slow (de-)evolution towards more barenuckle fighting. This might be more possible outside the US, but it could happen.
- A promotion that resurrects the team fighting concept the IFL had going. I didn't think it made a whole lotta sense, but it capitalizes on a "home" team effect and so forth.
- A promotion that puts 4 fighters in a ring at one time with two refs. Crazy, but you get the idea....

Post #5   6/6/12 9:47:21AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Again, this goes back to what I mentioned a few months ago. The UFC has started a promotional trend as if it is its own sport. No other promotions I can think of, in any other sport, will you have a promotion that does this...

In Tennis and many other international sports, all competitors are eligible to compete in any professional tournaments and or promotions as long as they meet the requirements. The ufc is strictly a promotion and nothing more and yet it operates as though it is its own sport - a better term would be league.

Can mma operate under the same conditions as - say Tennis? Maybe not but it should be done so under the same principles IMO. Other non-ufc promotions have recognized this and have been practicing these principles e.g. Strike Force, Dream etc. Why does the ufc operate as if it is a traditional company? They are not a traditional company. They are an organization who promotes and puts on mma events. Competitors should be able to compete in more than one promotion - is mainly the point of what I'm trying to say......BUT because the ufc has started this promotional trend, it will continue to grow and popularize until it becomes a big mess, some of which we are already witnessing through the careers of Fedor, Overeem, Melendez, Barnett etc. These aforementioned fighters were denied the opportunity to compete against what some considered - better competition. And this is just the beginning. We are definitely going to witness more turmoil as more and more competitors pick up mma.

Post #6   6/6/12 12:02:47PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,292-1,292
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Again, this goes back to what I mentioned a few months ago. The UFC has started a promotional trend as if it is its own sport. No other promotions I can think of, in any other sport, will you have a promotion that does this...

In Tennis and many other international sports, all competitors are eligible to compete in any professional tournaments and or promotions as long as they meet the requirements. The ufc is strictly a promotion and nothing more and yet it operates as though it is its own sport - a better term would be league.

Can mma operate under the same conditions as - say Tennis? Maybe not but it should be done so under the same principles IMO. Other non-ufc promotions have recognized this and have been practicing these principles e.g. Strike Force, Dream etc. Why does the ufc operate as if it is a traditional company? They are not a traditional company. They are an organization who promotes and puts on mma events. Competitors should be able to compete in more than one promotion - is mainly the point of what I'm trying to say......BUT because the ufc has started this promotional trend, it will continue to grow and popularize until it becomes a big mess, some of which we are already witnessing through the careers of Fedor, Overeem, Melendez, Barnett etc. These aforementioned fighters were denied the opportunity to compete against what some considered - better competition. And this is just the beginning. We are definitely going to witness more turmoil as more and more competitors pick up mma.

I don't think the model the UFC is following has anything to do with other sports. They are emulating professional wrestling far more than any traditional sports like Tennis.

The reason those other companies (Dream, Strikeforce, WVR etc) were willing to co-promote events is because they were all losing the battle to stay relevant as an elite fighting organization.

If either of them had overtaken the UFC in talent and profitability it would be them refusing to co-promote while the UFC tried to get in on the action any way they could.

There will always be other MMA organizations out there, but they will operate as feeder leagues for the UFC.

I believe that rather than having the talent split among many organizations out there, the sport would be better off with all the elite talent under one banner but unionized to protect the fighters interests.

Post #7   6/6/12 2:19:55PM