Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

B.J. Penn Accepts Challenge From Rory MacDonald For UFC 152

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,086-1,216
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Apparently B.J. Penn is going to come out of his short-lived layoff from the sport to accept a challenge from a top prospect. Yesterday, Rory MacDonald was a guest on The MMA Hour and issued a respectful challenge to the future Hall of Famer. Penn has been stating that he was basically retired and had no plans to come back, but according to BJPenn.com, Rory's challenge was enough to get him back in the octagon.

Link

Post #1   6/5/12 11:53:32PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Not quite official yet but how could the ufc turn this down? It might as well be official.

Post #2   6/5/12 11:58:30PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,916-1,066
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Damn, this is a way harder fight than Koscheck.

Post #3   6/6/12 12:28:42AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-309
Chips:
UFC should tell BJ 155 or stay retired... We all remember how he reacted after the Diaz beating.

Post #4   6/6/12 12:36:27AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
what with bjs fragile mental state about fighting and the amount of injurys latley not to mention the ufc not formal anouncing the fight yet i refuse to get excited...hell i refuse till there in the octogon and the buffer 180 hits

Post #5   6/6/12 12:46:51AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,553-1,348
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't see how Ufc says no to this.
Good co main event in Toronto.

Post #6   6/6/12 1:26:02AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:719-399
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
its a good fight and im looking forward to it if it becomes official, but i can see bj copping a worse beating than what he did against nick and probably being finished for the first time in a long time.
the size difference is just ridiculous and with rory's wrestling and heavy ground n pound i dont see things going well for bj at all.

Post #7   6/6/12 2:45:23AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,583-1,321
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Maybe you guys don't understand. BJ is taking training more seriously than he ever has for this fight. Joking aside since I know we'll see that headline in the next few weeks, I've always followed BJ and I'm a fan of his syle. His 170 return still brings up questions as he's 1-1-1 and it's really not a bad list. How many WW's out there would've gone through Hughes/Fitch without a loss and then stood in the pocket and lasted 15 minutes with Diaz? It's not like he's had a final 3 fights like Liddell. He knocked out a HOF'er, fought to a draw with a perennial contender, and stood toe to toe with arguably the best boxer in his weight class, something the interim champ wouldn't even attempt. Would Rory have done any better against those three? If his head is in the right place this fight could surprise, and if Rory wins no excuses.

Last edited 6/6/12 5:13AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/6/12 5:12:37AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,015-1,073
Chips:
I'm a die hard BJ fan so I'll try to make this post as objective as possible but all this Rory love is pre mature & everyone is drinking the kool aid. Lets look at facts here, Rory had a few troubiling moments on the feet against Che mills which led to him turning to his wrestling & he attempted 0 stand up against Nate. Rory has the most vicious Gnp in the ufc but its not like Penn has bad take down D & Rory deff has holes in his stand up game as Condit has also shown us. Penn would be the best wrestler he has faced yet (which isnt saying much when you consider he fought Condit, Pyle, Diaz, Mills, & Guymon; none have wrestling backgrounds) If bj can keep this standing I dont think he would have a hard time showing Rory a boxing clinic. & lastly what shouldnt be over looked is that since this likely not the main event it's only 3 rounds & that deff favors Bj since it gives Rory less of a chance to exploit his cardio advantage.

Post #9   6/6/12 7:49:25AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I'd rather see him at 155 against Guida or something

Post #10   6/6/12 10:51:31AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I'm a die hard BJ fan so I'll try to make this post as objective as possible but all this Rory love is pre mature & everyone is drinking the kool aid. Lets look at facts here, Rory had a few troubiling moments on the feet against Che mills which led to him turning to his wrestling & he attempted 0 stand up against Nate. Rory has the most vicious Gnp in the ufc but its not like Penn has bad take down D & Rory deff has holes in his stand up game as Condit has also shown us. Penn would be the best wrestler he has faced yet (which isnt saying much when you consider he fought Condit, Pyle, Diaz, Mills, & Guymon; none have wrestling backgrounds) If bj can keep this standing I dont think he would have a hard time showing Rory a boxing clinic. & lastly what shouldnt be over looked is that since this likely not the main event it's only 3 rounds & that deff favors Bj since it gives Rory less of a chance to exploit his cardio advantage.

people were drinking the JDS and Jones kool-aid not too long ago either.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   6/6/12 1:58:50PM   

RustyRedWood206

Learning to Sprawl

Career:11-7
Chips:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha WTF y does everyone have that profile pic of that dude?!?!?!? Every time I try to read an article I see him with a different photo shopped head LMFAO!!!!!! Is their a trend I missed lol...

Post #12   6/6/12 2:55:25PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Look at those pecs....who wouldnt want a prozacnation av?

Post #13   6/6/12 3:42:54PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,015-1,073
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by quezocrema0032

people were drinking the JDS and Jones kool-aid not too long ago either.

Atleast those guys had wins over top people in their weight class. Whos Rorys top win? Nate Diaz who is a top 155er not a welterweight. I'm just saying people shouldn't write off Penn just because this prospect is hot at the moment. By the sound of the thread it sounds like Penn would be a +400 under dog. Ill believe it when Rory shows off some stand up

Post #14   6/6/12 5:51:54PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Really surprised BJ took this fight over Koschek...which would have been way better stylistically IMO.

Rory trains with GSP who probably has a lot of insight on how to beat Penn considering he's done so twice. I imagine he'll use a similar strategy...coming in at about 185 come fight time, clinch with an out of shape LW and wear him down. The BJ Penn we've seen lately, yeah I'd put him as about a 400+ underdog.

Post #15   6/6/12 6:02:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2