Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

So just how good is Kampmann

Print  
How do you feel right now?
Jake almost had him 8 23%
I shoulda known Jake was going to gas 0 0%
I put too much stock in Kampmann's chin 2 6%
Early stoppage! 5 14%
Pookie finishes fights! 8 23%
I picked Kampmann, because i'm smart and rare. 12 34%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
First, allow me to direct you to the poll above in an attempt to mock you for picking Ellenberger.

Thank you, now on to more important discussion: Just how good is Martin "The Hitman" Kampmann?

He's beaten Volkmann(thank god), Paulo Thiago, Rick Story, Thiago Alves, Carlos Condit, & Jake Ellenberger. The Shields decision was contentious, and the Sanchez decision was absolute malarkey. His 7-3 record at WW, is really an 8-2 record that can be argued as 9-1. All while fighting pretty much nothing but Top 5 - Top 10 guys. On paper, that's kind of immaculate.

From the subjective side of the coin - He is one of the most complete fighters in the division. Excellent transitional grappling, with a knack for finding the sub finish. High-level takedown defense, and surprisingly efficient takedowns for a non-wrestler base. Great footwork, and counter punching in the pocket. While his downsides can be summed up as: a lack of Head movement, and a short reach for his size.

So how do you guys rank Kampmann right now? How good do you think he really is? Who do you think has his number?

And why in the world did you have faith in Jake?

Post #1   6/2/12 3:56:01AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I probably have Kampmann in the top 8.

Now may I direct the thread starter to enter the "Why is there not a thread about the Ellenberger vs Kampmann stoppage?"

Post #2   6/2/12 4:04:27AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Chips:
Great thread Pookie! (KFM I found yours first) You know I've been high on Kampmann ever since! I had him over Alves, Story, Shields, etc.

I picked Kampmann to KO Jake last night as well, so I clearly I am one of the rare ones I knew it would be a tough fight, and I'm sorry I didn't put more money on him. He is the consistent underdog due to the Daley fight, but it seems people forget he never even got dropped in that fight, it was stopped standing. So suffice to say, I think his chin is great. His last two fights are evidence of that.

Post #3   6/2/12 4:29:53AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
always been a fan of Kampmann, but my track record proves that i've also always underestimated him.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #4   6/2/12 4:45:14AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I had him over Alves, Story, Shields, etc.

. . .

He is the consistent underdog due to the Daley fight, but it seems people forget he never even got dropped in that fight, it was stopped standing. So suffice to say, I think his chin is great. His last two fights are evidence of that.

I dont think i had him against Alves, because i figured in a kickboxing match Alves is pretty much King. But Story & Ellenberger, i knew. He beats the shit out of Boxer/wrestlers. Better on the feet technically, and they can't smother him on the ground because WW is so Wrestler dominated that most of the BJJ-talented guys get decisioned out of the UFC.

Hendricks might be the one Boxer/wrestler who could get the takedown and neutralize him off his back. But then he also has to deal with the striking discrepancy. While being one of the few guys who doesnt have a reach advantage over the towering swede.

And yes! His chin is consistently underrated, when it's really just that his head movement sucks and he gets caught by the hardest punches imaginable. Dude has a giant head and a solid jaw line. Daley, Marquardt, & Ellenberger all easily have Potent MW power, and Kampmann got caught flush by all of them.

Also, Kampmann is 6'1" and clearly Ellenberger was at the most 5'11". There was at least a 2 inch height difference between the two. Kampmann was taller than the 6'0" high octagon, and Burger was shorter than it.

Post #5   6/2/12 4:55:38AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I dont think i had him against Alves, because i figured in a kickboxing match Alves is pretty much King. But Story & Ellenberger, i knew. He beats the shit out of Boxer/wrestlers. Better on the feet technically, and they can't smother him on the ground because WW is so Wrestler dominated that most of the BJJ-talented guys get decisioned out of the UFC.

Hendricks might be the one Boxer/wrestler who could get the takedown and neutralize him off his back. But then he also has to deal with the striking discrepancy. While being one of the few guys who doesnt have a reach advantage over the towering swede.

And yes! His chin is consistently underrated, when it's really just that his head movement sucks and he gets caught by the hardest punches imaginable. Dude has a giant head and a solid jaw line. Daley, Marquardt, & Ellenberger all easily have Potent MW power, and Kampmann got caught flush by all of them.

Also, Kampmann is 6'1" and clearly Ellenberger was at the most 5'11". There was at least a 2 inch height difference between the two. Kampmann was taller than the 6'0" high octagon, and Burger was shorter than it.

Such a good post! Although Kampmann is from Denmark But you broke him down perfectly, imo. Hendricks will be another hella tough test. Hendricks has chin all day, and is another very strong boxer/wrestler. I was pretty confident Kampmann was gonna win last night, and I'll still take him over Hendricks, but Hendricks could make this fight even closer....

Post #6   6/2/12 5:26:33AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Pookie

towering swede.

Kampmann is from Denmark

Towering Swede sounds so much cooler than Towering Dane though.

Post #7   6/2/12 5:30:32AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Pookie

towering swede.

Kampmann is from Denmark

Towering Swede sounds so much cooler than Towering Dane though.

Great Dane!

Post #8   6/2/12 5:34:55AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
His chin will always come into question against a heavy handed opponent. He does recover nicely, after he's been dropped though. Someone needs to land a whirlwind of shots, a la Marquardt to finish him it seems. His record of fighters he's beat is very impressive. Just wish he'd take less damage each fight.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #9   6/2/12 7:40:39AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I've been a big Kampmann fan since I first saw him fight and went with him to win last night.

He is extremely tough to gauge though, because I feel he does everything well above average (recover, striking, submissions, etc...) but he doesn't have a weapon like Ellenberger's power, which forces him to rely on a combination of some luck and perfect timing to win almost any fight against upper tier fighters.

I will probably continue to go with Kampmann in most fights, but he is just too vulnerable to ever feel comfortable fully supporting.

Post #10   6/2/12 9:38:02AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,344-866
Chips:
Check the Av

Post #11   6/2/12 10:10:41AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Chips:
Considering he actually beat Shields and Diego I have him top 5 right now.

Post #12   6/2/12 10:16:00AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:
Jake Ellenberger Highlight Video *NSFW

Last edited 6/2/12 10:28AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   6/2/12 10:27:42AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Pookie
So how do you guys rank Kampmann right now? How good do you think he really is? Who do you think has his number?

somewhere between 7-10.

Who has/will have his number?
GSP
Diaz
Fitch
Macdonald
Alves
Condit*
Hendricks*
Koscheck*

*potentially

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   6/2/12 11:10:05AM   

spang714

MMA Regular

spang714 Avatar

Career:553-331
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by kopower

His chin will always come into question against a heavy handed opponent. He does recover nicely, after he's been dropped though. Someone needs to land a whirlwind of shots, a la Marquardt to finish him it seems. His record of fighters he's beat is very impressive. Just wish he'd take less damage each fight.

I agree fully with this...He's a top 5 guy, but I wish he would learn to take less damage...

Post #15   6/2/12 11:13:57AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2