Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones pleads guilty to DWI

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I had to look it up too. Driving while intoxicated sounds worse than driving under the influence. I guess 'under the influence' means you breached the legal limits and 'while intoxicated' means you were wasted. Does that sound about right?

Post #16   5/29/12 11:27:23PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I had to look it up too. Driving while intoxicated sounds worse than driving under the influence. I guess 'under the influence' means you breached the legal limits and 'while intoxicated' means you were wasted. Does that sound about right?

Negative ghost rider, aside from maybe a few select jurisdictions, the term DUI and DWI are interchangeable and mean the exact same thing. Neither term implies a higher level of intoxication. Again, there may be some places (maybe New York) that might differentiate from this but it would be the exception, not the rule. In my area and the states surrounding me there is no difference, some places just choose to use one acronym instead of the other. However, in some areas a DWI is used when a person is under the influence of alcohol while DUI is used for someone under the influence of drugs and or alcohol. The term DUI is used far more commonly where I'm at regardless of what the person is under the influence of.

In terms of intoxication most states follow the same model, and simple DUI (DWI) is a BAC of .08 or above. A DUI that is abnormally high is a called an "excessive DUI" and is usually a BAC of .20 or higher.

Again maybe different in some places but generally not in my experience.

Post #17   5/30/12 3:17:10AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not proud to say I got one about 13 years ago and it was called an OWI here in Wisconsin. They're all the same, just different acronyms from area to area like adrenaline said.

Last edited 5/30/12 3:28AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   5/30/12 3:27:47AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm not proud to say I got one about 13 years ago and it was called an OWI here in Wisconsin. They're all the same, just different acronyms from area to area like adrenaline said.

You live and learn brother, your a solid guy in my book

It really does get confusing with all of the acronyms, a few years ago I was out on the lake with some friends fishing, as normal people do when they fish we were enjoying a few cold beers, this was a paddle boat mind you and we were all far from being drunk(barely opened the first ones). Anyway a deputy on boat patrol pulled up next to us and wasn't to happy with me, he asked me if I wanted him to give me a "BWI" for drinking in the boat. I knew what he meant but I couldn't resist asking in a flattered voice "Really officer, you want to give me a BWI right here in front of everyone?" Not very funny in retrospect but he made this face Then he informed me that no, it was not a sexual favor, rather "boating while intoxicated" Some places it means "Bicycling while intoxicated". The deputy was a good guy and was just looking out for us because alot of people do get too drunk and fall overboard and it doesn't end well. <-------That story is neither here nor there, just pointing out that there are alot of acronyms to describe basically the same concept.

Post #19   5/30/12 4:29:43AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Since you guys are owning up to your mistakes, I guess I'll own up to mine.

It's probably difficult to believe a saint like me has done anything remotely bad but believe it or not - I have.

I stole a pack of bubble gum and a pair of sunglasses when I was 18. That was the most humiliating and yet also the most life changing thing that has happened to me. It made me realized who I am and who I wanted to be. I have realized through that incident and through the teachings of my father - that to be good - requires a lifetime of determination and practice while to be bad - requires but a split second.

Post #20   5/30/12 1:36:02PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

It's probably difficult to believe a saint like me has done anything remotely bad but believe it or not - I have.

I stole a pack of bubble gum and a pair of sunglasses when I was 18. That was the most humiliating and yet also the most life changing thing that has happened to me. It made me realized who I am and who I wanted to be. I have realized through that incident and through the teachings of my father - that to be good - requires a lifetime of determination and practice while to be bad - requires but a split second.

Meh, I wasn't owning up, just stating that I know it's different here than in, say, NY. I was a 23 year old kid, and young people do stupid shit. Hell, I still do stupid shit(although driving after drinking is no longer one of them). A person isn't defined by their mistakes, and everyone makes them. Glass houses, cast the first stone, whatever, I just know that I'm not the one that needs to be passing judgement.

BTW, if that's the extent of your arrest record, you've kept your nose cleaner than most.

Post #21   5/30/12 1:58:33PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Meh, I wasn't owning up, just stating that I know it's different here than in, say, NY. I was a 23 year old kid, and young people do stupid shit. Hell, I still do stupid shit(although driving after drinking is no longer one of them). A person isn't defined by their mistakes, and everyone makes them. Glass houses, cast the first stone, whatever, I just know that I'm not the one that needs to be passing judgement.

BTW, if that's the extent of your arrest record, you've kept your nose cleaner than most.

It's obvious I'm no saint but then again - I do have a lot of evil thoughts.

You are alright in my books, CC, even though you are a pain in the ass.

Post #22   5/30/12 2:12:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
Not trying to be a pain in the ass, just have a good BS detector.

Post #23   5/30/12 2:20:18PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Bachelor of Science detector??? It's no wonder you're always wrong about me. I have a Bachelor of Arts.

Post #24   5/30/12 2:41:15PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

Bachelor of Science detector??? It's no wonder you're always wrong about me. I have a Bachelor of Arts.

BSc is Bachelor of Science

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #25   5/30/12 5:22:22PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Adrenaline

In terms of intoxication most states follow the same model, and simple DUI (DWI) is a BAC of .08 or above. A DUI that is abnormally high is a called an "excessive DUI" and is usually a BAC of .20 or higher.

in Ontario it used to be .08, but a few years ago they dropped it to .05 and anyone 21 and under (regardless of license level) has zero tolerance

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #26   5/30/12 5:24:02PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2