Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC on FOX 4: Manny Gamburyan vs Michihiro Omigawa booked for Aug. 4 in Los Angeles

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
A featherweight fracas has been added to the UFC on Fox 4: "Stann vs. Lombard" event on Aug. 4, 2012, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, as the struggling Manny Gamburyan will take on Michihiro Omigawa.

MMAFighting.com brought word of the pending bout last night.

Gamburyan is likely on his last legs with the world's largest fight promotion, as he's lost both of his two fights since rejoining the UFC. Actually, dating back to his previous run with the promotion, "The Anvil" has won inside the Octagon in four fights. That's an impressive run of futility.

He'll try to turn the tide against Omigawa, who has struggled nearly as bad losing three of his last four. There's a widely panned decision in there that didn't go his way but a loss is a loss is a loss. So essentially, this is a loser leaves town match.

Link

Post #1   5/20/12 10:53:00PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I would like to see Omigawa get this win. He's been around so long I just thinks he deserves it

Post #2   5/20/12 10:59:31PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I still think Omigawa is a solid talent.

Post #3   5/20/12 11:02:43PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Omigawa by UD.

Post #4   5/21/12 12:23:34AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Omigawa is a solid gate keeper and a loss should not earn him the discharge papers IMO but I can see it happening.

Guys like Omigawa are entertaining to watch. They have heart and an undying determination to keep pressing forward no matter how futile it may seem. Omigawa will probably never see ufc gold but that does not mean the ufc should boot him. What the ufc needs to do is give him fighters who are strictly strikers. This is a win - win situation for participating fighters, the ufc, and most importantly - the fans.

Regarding the match up with Manny, this is stylistically a bad match up for Omigawa. Manny is all about bull rushing and taking opponents down for ground and pound. I think Omigawa is going to look horrible in this fight and he may get the discharge papers - but if the ufc has any indication at all of how to market Omigawa, they should keep him and match him up with strictly strikers or fighters with weak ground games.

Post #5   5/21/12 1:01:48AM