Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gilbert Melendez

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Are there people out there who seriously believe he's the best lightweight in the world? I know Strikeforce has to raise the stock of their fighters but going on and on about Melendez being the premiere lightweight in the world is ridiculous, and what's even more ridiculous is there are fans out there who actually believe it. I don't consider him to be the #1, #2, or #3 in the world.

Post #1   5/19/12 11:29:39PM   

otacon279

MMA Regular

otacon279 Avatar

Career:653-385
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Are there people out there who seriously believe he's the best lightweight in the world? I know Strikeforce has to raise the stock of their fighters but going on and on about Melendez being the premiere lightweight in the world is ridiculous, and what's even more ridiculous is there are fans out there who actually believe it. I don't consider him to be the #1, #2, or #3 in the world.

Strikeforce needs to bring in more talent or feed Melendez to the wolves. (UFC)

Post #2   5/19/12 11:33:18PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He didn't impress me tonight. He's top 5, maybe top 3, but not the best. He still has some holes in his game.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   5/20/12 12:18:34AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I have said it before, I think most of the ufc's top 15 can beat Melendez. He would be a good gate keeper in the ufc.

Post #4   5/20/12 12:30:12AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I knew this would be a topic right when the fight ended, and let me be the first to say I think Josh Thompson won that fight and in no way do I believe Gil is the best in the world @ 55.

I've been saying it for awhile now send him to the UFC and let him fight the top 55ers in the world and I guaranteed we wont be discussing this topic anymore

Post #5   5/20/12 12:30:37AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kopower

He didn't impress me tonight. He's top 5, maybe top 3, but not the best. He still has some holes in his game.

IMO, Melendez had a poor performance tonight. He did not win the fight - it was more like Josh lost the fight or did not want it bad enough. IMO, if Josh had wanted it more, the championship was there for him to take it.

Post #6   5/20/12 12:34:31AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
3 eyepokes may have had something to do with it.....he had several trips, made out even if not better in the striking, lost it in the clinch. He even had some really good close subs.....I though Josh won, but it may also be the crown talking......Barnett got straight schooled! That was hard for me to watch and gave validity to Cormier's supporters when they talked about a speed advantage prior to the match up. I think all 4 should be invited to the UFC, and following Cormier I think Josh Thompson would have the most success.

Post #7   5/20/12 12:54:40AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Gil and Barney were kind of disappointing.

I can't remember if I ever had Gil above top 5, hard to compare guys and rank them when they aren't fighting in same org or same competition.

I thought Gil won, but wasn't watching closely.

Post #8   5/20/12 1:18:06AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:
I was thinking the same thing knockout. And honestly Ive never considered him better than top 3. Now after his last two performances I don‘t believe he deserves to be considered top 5. He hasn't beaten anyone to deserve a top 5 ranking and although Thomson is very good, a top 5 guy should be able to beat him with ease imo.

Post #9   5/20/12 1:19:19AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I was thinking the same thing knockout. And honestly Ive never considered him better than top 3. Now after his last two performances I don‘t believe he deserves to be considered top 5. He hasn't beaten anyone to deserve a top 5 ranking and although Thomson is very good, a top 5 guy should be able to beat him with ease imo.

You said it perfectly, Budge. I felt the urge to piss on his win tonight after his post fight interview. No class at all.

Last edited 5/20/12 1:25AM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   5/20/12 1:24:50AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
does no one remember that Thomson is a bad stylistic matchup for melendez and a top 20 in the world?

Post #11   5/20/12 10:42:47AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

does no one remember that Thomson is a bad stylistic matchup for melendez and a top 20 in the world?

Like you said, top 20.

Post #12   5/20/12 11:53:34AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Budgellism

You said it perfectly, Budge. I felt the urge to piss on his win tonight after his post fight interview. No class at all.

What did Melendez say? I need more evidence to support my hate.

Post #13   5/20/12 12:06:06PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by kopower

IMO, Melendez had a poor performance tonight. He did not win the fight - it was more like Josh lost the fight or did not want it bad enough. IMO, if Josh had wanted it more, the championship was there for him to take it.

I thought Gilbert should have won a sd. I thought he took the first 3 rounds, although the first could have been a draw. If Josh pressed forward a bit more in the 3 rd, it was his fight to win. Josh showed great class after the fight in his interview. Gained big respect points in my book.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #14   5/20/12 12:11:44PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Chips:
I think Gil not looking great to some had more to do with Thompson that Gil.

For one, I thought both guys looked really good. The pace, the execution, and the ability to walk through shots by both guys let you know that this wasn't a fight between two guys at some local show. It was evident both guys are top fighters by watching the fight.

The second thing is that Josh Thompson is one of the best LWs in the world when healthy, the problem is that he has been hurt over and over again in his career so he hasn't gotten to put together a nice run uninterrupted since the boom of MMA. When he's right he's going to give anyone a tough fight, and almost anyone a loss.

Is Gil top 3 in the world right now? I'm really not sure, I think he's close(haven't updated my rankings on here in awhile). The way he destroyed Kawajiri sticks with me because to me Kawajiri was the JMMA fighter with the best skillset to come over and make noise in the states.

I think when/if he comes to the UFC it's going to be a trial by fire so we will get to have the questions around him answered pretty much right away. My money is on Gil ending up one of the top 4 or 5 guys in that class on the UFC roster once he's there.

Last edited 5/20/12 12:47PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   5/20/12 12:46:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2