Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 146's 12-bout broadcast plans complete with FX, Facebook specials

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The UFC's first-ever five-bout all-heavyweight main card broadcast will be complemented by "UFC Prelims" specials on both FX and Facebook.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the plans with sources close to the event, and UFC officials are expected to make an announcement shortly.

"UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir" takes place May 26 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. The night's main card, which features UFC champ Junior Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) vs. former titleholder Frank Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC), airs on pay-per-view.

MAIN CARD (pay-per-view)

Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir (for heavyweight title)
Antonio Silva vs. Cain Velasquez
Dave Herman vs. Roy Nelson
Shane Del Rosario vs. Stipe Miocic
Lavar Johnson vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)

Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
Edson Barboza vs. Jamie Varner
C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller
Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
Mike Brown vs. Daniel Pineda

* - Not officially announced

LINK

Post #1   5/18/12 12:10:49AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:
I can't even begin to express how bummed I am that I won't be watching this live. It's going to be a good weekend but this card is stupidly stacked.

Post #2   5/18/12 12:12:22AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Looking forward to this one really bad

Post #3   5/18/12 12:23:36AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
I am tired of watching prelim fights on FB. I wish they would just play all of them on TV. I am so damn psyched for the Teixeira fight....and it is on FB.....BUMMER. C'mon UFC....enough already.

Post #4   5/18/12 1:00:31AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Can't wait to go next week
I already got a spot on my wall for the Ufc poster

Post #5   5/18/12 2:22:06AM   

ryu99

Learning to Sprawl

ryu99 Avatar

Career:1,057-701
Chips:
the prelims on fx are better than ufc on fuel 3 lol

Post #6   5/18/12 2:45:58AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I am tired of watching prelim fights on FB. I wish they would just play all of them on TV. I am so damn psyched for the Teixeira fight....and it is on FB.....BUMMER. C'mon UFC....enough already.

This, all day. FX can take the extra hour or hour and a half out of it's regularly scheduled Saturday afternoon programming to fit these fights in. That's an hour and a half longer that there is a chance someone is flipping through the channels and will see this sport and become a new fan. That's a chance for instantly better ratings, plus potential long term viewership and revenue for the channel and the UFC.

Fights are like car wrecks. Or a big ol' pair of boobs. You are programmed to look. As a human, it's not even a choice, it doesn't matter who you are or what walk of life you are from. If you are flipping through the channels and you see a car wreck, a chick in a bikini, or a fight, it doesn't matter if you are gay or straight. Black or white. Male or female. You are going to stop and look. The longer the UFC is on TV, the more chance to harness that raw potential.

Facebook might have half a billion or a billion people on there, but unless I see numbers that show their broadcasts of UFC prelims get six to eight million views consistently, it's not worth it in my opinion. A casual fan would have to find a friend talking about it on their news feed, go to the UFC's Facebook page, like the page, and then go to the live events or streaming video or whatever section... Screw that just put it on TV.

Post #7   5/18/12 8:16:27AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I can't even begin to express how bummed I am that I won't be watching this live. It's going to be a good weekend but this card is stupidly stacked.

I just realized I have to go to a wedding next week...it's just the rehersal dinner saturday so maybe i can sit in the back on my laptop. If someone gets koed right after some sappy wedding speech, perhaps cheering will be acceptable.

Post #8   5/18/12 10:16:25AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:
im celebrating my birthday that saturday! gonna be a great day!

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #9   5/18/12 10:40:35AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

If you had someone take a picture of you in the same pose, same shirt, same sunglasses, same lamp in the background...but the only thing different was the UFC poster in the background...I think all our heads would explode !!

Post #10   5/18/12 10:45:49AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I prefer watching fights on Facebook. The fights happen a lot faster w/o having to deal with commercials and the intro to the broadcast on FX and the PPV.

You can pause the facebook fights and resume watching them or I think watch them all again if he missed them before.

Post #11   5/18/12 11:53:53AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by prozacnation1978

If you had someone take a picture of you in the same pose, same shirt, same sunglasses, same lamp in the background...but the only thing different was the UFC poster in the background...I think all our heads would explode !!

Same dead body too

Last edited 5/18/12 12:15PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #12   5/18/12 12:15:31PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I prefer watching fights on Facebook. The fights happen a lot faster w/o having to deal with commercials and the intro to the broadcast on FX and the PPV.

You can pause the facebook fights and resume watching them or I think watch them all again if he missed them before.

I agree 100%... hook HDMI up from laptop to flat screen... you get to see walkouts, not have to deal with a silly amount of commercials, Sportsnet in Canada is just brutal, they cut away to a commercial as soon as the bell rings and sometimes not back until 7 seconds into the next round. Obviously its good to have TV deals, but as a viewer the FB experience beats the hell out of Fuel/FX/FOX or in Canada stupid Sportsnet and Showdown Joe's dumb ass.

Post #13   5/18/12 2:26:03PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:

I would die happy if this picture happened

Post #14   5/18/12 3:58:26PM