Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ricardo Almeida Scored Josh Koscheck as the Winner in Bout With Johny Hendricks

Print  
Was Almeida right?
Yes (29-28 Kos) 28 49%
No (29-28 Hendricks) 26 46%
Other (somehow) 3 5%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,583-1,321
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by rush13

Posted by Kpro

I agree, other than the eye-poke . I could argue all 3 for Hendricks by referencing the Unified Rules Judging Criteria and surprisingly could argue the 3rd more-so than the 1st. I couldn't argue all 3 for Koscheck by any means. The only decisive round was the 2nd for Hendricks in my eyes and when you can't claim even one decisive round, you generally don't win decisions. It's just fact and common sense. It was a good close fight to be enjoyed. Unless there's a blatant robbery a la MFC's co-main event on Friday night, then if you don't finish, the judges pick the winner, and there's nothing to discuss. Koscheck echoed those sentiments post-fight. If the judges gave it to Koscheck it just would've been another even poll. I'm not sure why this is even news.

Had the 3rd pretty decisive for Kos, with the take-down and being on top in total control doing some damage

Hendricks outlanded Kos about 3 to 1 in the third with almost all power shots for about 3 1/2 minutes before the takedown and punches to the ribs. The unified rules state the emphasis on scoring is placed on where the majority of the round took place so the stand-up is weighted much heavier than the grappling, let alone there weren't power shots on the ground. Kos hadn't even landed more than a single digit amount of punches in the 3 1/2 minutes before the takedown while Hendricks was snapping his head back repeatedly. The way the judging criteria is written and what is to be weighted first, without going into further detail, that was a Hendricks round. I'm not saying I scored it that way or how I scored the fight or that the judging criteria is perfect. But i disagree completely that Koscheck decisively won the third round or any round. For any who only watched it once and just remember the last 90 seconds of that round, watch the fight again.

Post #16   5/7/12 6:17:15AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,916-1,066
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by rush13

Posted by Kpro

I agree, other than the eye-poke . I could argue all 3 for Hendricks by referencing the Unified Rules Judging Criteria and surprisingly could argue the 3rd more-so than the 1st. I couldn't argue all 3 for Koscheck by any means. The only decisive round was the 2nd for Hendricks in my eyes and when you can't claim even one decisive round, you generally don't win decisions. It's just fact and common sense. It was a good close fight to be enjoyed. Unless there's a blatant robbery a la MFC's co-main event on Friday night, then if you don't finish, the judges pick the winner, and there's nothing to discuss. Koscheck echoed those sentiments post-fight. If the judges gave it to Koscheck it just would've been another even poll. I'm not sure why this is even news.

Had the 3rd pretty decisive for Kos, with the take-down and being on top in total control doing some damage

Hendricks outlanded Kos about 3 to 1 in the third with almost all power shots for about 3 1/2 minutes before the takedown and punches to the ribs. The unified rules state the emphasis on scoring is placed on where the majority of the round took place so the stand-up is weighted much heavier than the grappling, let alone there weren't power shots on the ground. Kos hadn't even landed more than a single digit amount of punches in the 3 1/2 minutes before the takedown while Hendricks was snapping his head back repeatedly. The way the judging criteria is written and what is to be weighted first, without going into further detail, that was a Hendricks round. I'm not saying I scored it that way or how I scored the fight or that the judging criteria is perfect. But i disagree completely that Koscheck decisively won the third round or any round. For any who only watched it once and just remember the last 90 seconds of that round, watch the fight again.

You're both wrong. Mayweather won every round.

Post #17   5/7/12 6:51:12AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I'm not even going to read the article but I'll re-post something I posted on another MMA forum regarding people saying Almeida was the qualified judge of the three. I'm too lazy to edit anything, so this isn't directed at anyone, just refuting these wannabe journalists latching onto the Almeida 29-28.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I can't let the Almeida being the more qualified judge comments slide. Not recognizing a name doesn't give anyone free reign to say a judge wouldn't know how to best score a fight than Ricardo Almeida in his infancy as a judge (Unless you're talking about Cecil Peoples).

Blatnick was an Olympic Greco Roman Wrestler (The first American ever to win Gold) and 2 time Division II Heavyweight wrestling champion. He also commentated for the UFC for about the first 30 UFC's circa 94-00 or so for those that have followed the sport long enough to remember. He was commissioner of the UFC back in 98-99 and was huge in the development of writing the modern rules of the sport that are now the Unified Rules.

The other judge Cardo Urso has more martial arts experience than Almeida has been alive. He established the MCMAP curriculum in the Marines currently taught at the Martial Arts Center of Excellence and is a master of basically anything. He may have a few black belt if black belts in Okinawa Karate, Judo, White Crane, Jujitsu and Sambo count? and he also owns and operates the Atlantic City branch of Miletich Fighting Systems training fighters and has for many many years.

They each have about 40 years of martial arts experience and Blatnick was integral in helping write the rules for Unified MMA judging that Ricardo had to study before heading to work last night as a judge. Both of these guys were world renowned in MMA before it was even called MMA and before Almeida ever saw a white belt or finished his Cheerios from his stroller.

The NJSAC doesn't hire slobs off the street to write 10s and 9s on pieces of paper, you don't find much better judging than the guys sitting ringside last night. It's a shame that so few MMA fans recognize who they are. I'm just not a fan of seeing legends of the sport being discredited as bums because their name isn't recognizable. They saw the fight for Hendricks in a close fight, and they can back up the reasons why. Now you do know who they are.

Exactly man. I can't think of many better judges than Blatnick.

Post #18   5/7/12 7:41:13AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

You're both wrong. Mayweather won every round.

Ehhhh, I had him winning 13 of 12.

Post #19   5/7/12 7:48:28AM   

rush13

Standup Guy

rush13 Avatar

Career:1,003-545
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by rush13

Posted by Kpro

That's all fine and dandy dude lol but I saw a very close fight

Post #20   5/7/12 8:06:20AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Yes, I think that was the whole point. When you said Koschek won decisively in the third I pointed out why I felt he didn't win any rounds decisively. Message being it was a close fight.

Post #21   5/7/12 8:26:10AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
Another fight where three rounds just aren't enough for the highest level of the sport.

Post #22   5/7/12 8:34:48AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
I had Kos ahead based on winning rd 1 and squeaking by rd 3. However, this fight was so close that either fighter could have come away with the win. The decision was fair.

Post #23   5/7/12 9:53:51AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,284-1,542
Chips:
I gave the fight to Kos as well. I think a rematch is what is needed.

Post #24   5/7/12 1:42:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I scored it 29 - 28 for Hendricks. This fight was reminiscent of Zombie vs Garcia I.

Koshceck's punches looked as though it broke through Hendricks' defenses but only a few of them landed throughout the entire fight. Hendricks, on the other hand, was consistently tagging Koscheck throughout rounds 2 and 3.

Like others have said, round one was dominated by Hendricks' knees to the quads of Koscheck's. Nothing significant happened in round 1 and those knees were the best strikes of the round. Round 2 was easily won by Hendricks by way of out punching Koscheck. Round 3 is arguably the toughest to call. I generously gave it to Koscheck but prior to the take down, Hendricks was winning the stand up exchanges.

Regarding the judging by Almeida, this is exactly what I was talking about...

When you have someone who is passionate about the sport and have been there and done that - and follows the sport actively, this is what you get - a decision that is clouded by his own experience and relationship to each of the participants.

Like I have said, I would rather have experienced old guys who know the sport and the rules but do not necessarily follow the sport to be judges.

Last edited 5/7/12 10:36PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #25   5/7/12 5:23:54PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I picked Hendricks, but honestly I scored it 29-28 Kos...really close first round but I thought the combinations he landed gave him the edge. Really close fight though, so I don't feel like it was a robbery in any sort of way.

Post #26   5/7/12 7:03:27PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think the judges got this right but I'm not surprised that Almeida gave it to Kos.

It was a really close fight.

1st round could have gone either way. Kos did well early, but only because he poked Johny in the eye. Once Hendricks recovered from the eye poke, he stole the round.

2nd round was clearly in Hendricks favor. He out struck Kos and bullied him around.

3rd round was close but Kos definitely deserved it. Johny did well early but Kos managed to get him down and maintain top control for a good portion of the round.

I assume that almeida gave Rnd 1 to Kos, which is understandable.

But if the ref had stopped the fight when Kos poked Johny in the eye, I think Johny would have won even more clearly.

Post #27   5/8/12 12:26:40AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,418-775
Chips:
I had it scored for KOS but haven't re watched it yet. I don't think it was a bad decision just very close fight.

Post #28   5/8/12 8:34:05PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
30-28 Kos. Overall Kos brought it big time, trying to put on a show for a national audience and an unruly NJ crowd. I know that doesn't mean he deserves the decision just on that alone but I respected that and wanted him to win because of it. The rest of the night was so good that I was annoyed that Hendricks was bringing ants to the picnic.

Honestly this is an overwhelming amount of people in this thread saying Kos won. It was close for sure but I take offense to the original article on this thread where the writer implied that Almeida was "wrong".

Post #29   5/8/12 9:08:36PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,266-824
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

30-28 Kos. Overall Kos brought it big time, trying to put on a show for a national audience and an unruly NJ crowd. I know that doesn't mean he deserves the decision just on that alone but I respected that and wanted him to win because of it. The rest of the night was so good that I was annoyed that Hendricks was bringing ants to the picnic.

Honestly this is an overwhelming amount of people in this thread saying Kos won. It was close for sure but I take offense to the original article on this thread where the writer implied that Almeida was "wrong".

30-28 Kos!?

You smokin crack??

Post #30   5/8/12 9:39:12PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3