Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

My Opinion piece on a black listed fighter

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

alex_durward

Learning to Sprawl

Career:131-94
Chips:
http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2012/05/02/double-standards-for-a-black-listed-fighter-96325472/

Hopefully you enjoy i. Again, its just my opinion.

Post #1   5/3/12 2:24:56AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
I completely agree and good assessment. I despise Tim Sylvia, just always seemed like a bad guy, but he has a lot to offer in a couple cheap fights.

Post #2   5/3/12 9:40:31AM   

alex_durward

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
Thank you for the feedback. That was exactly my feelings about Sylvia. His interviews have softened that opinion for me slightly, but I can't see the logic in denying him a return. Thanks again for the considered reply.

Post #3   5/3/12 10:23:23AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Here is the link.

I agree the ufc has been very forgiving of a handful of fighters but in the case of Tim Sylvia, I am in favor of denying him re-entrance to the ufc based on his recent dishonesty and ingenuous acts. Offering a fan the opportunity to be in his corner, willing to fight for minimal dollars, and waging a campaign on the internet etc. - all of which are the products of a desperate man who is doing so out of calculation rather than authenticity.

The most honorable thing Sylvia has done to appeal to the ufc is begging. Everything else has been done without integrity and for that he receives the Ultimate No from me.

Post #4   5/3/12 4:04:55PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,184-1,225
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Here is the link.

I agree the ufc has been very forgiving of a handful of fighters but in the case of Tim Sylvia, I am in favor of denying him re-entrance to the ufc based on his recent dishonesty and ingenuous acts. Offering a fan the opportunity to be in his corner, willing to fight for minimal dollars, and waging a campaign on the internet etc. - all of which are the products of a desperate man who is doing so out of calculation rather than authenticity.

The most honorable thing Sylvia has done to appeal to the ufc is begging. Everything else has been done without integrity and for that he receives the Ultimate No from me.

I don't think these are valid reasons to keep him from the UFC, lots of fighters use the fans to get them into or back into the UFC. Offering to fight for minimal dollars is also not a bad thing IMO, I agree it makes him look desperate but he's pushing 40 and doesn't have much time to earn another shot.

I think his performance in his fights should be the main factor in deciding whether he gets another shot, its not like he's Brett Rogers and getting arrested outside the cage.

Post #5   5/3/12 4:43:52PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,433-817
Chips:
i'd be for letting sylvia have his shot, but i can totally understand why the ufc wouldnt want to. he looks sloppy & i can see why a multi-million dollar company wouldnt want him as one of the faces of it's brand.
i truly think they wont let him in bc they are afraid he might just beat some guys.
also, he isnt worth what he used to be, so i hope he's willing to fight for less than before.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #6   5/3/12 4:46:21PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Chips:
This topic has been beaten to death and I still don't think he deserves a spot. The only thing he has to offer the UFC is his name recognition. And that doesn't mean a whole lot these days since he's tarnished his name by begging for fights, coming in completely out of shape and getting knocked out by guys that wouldn't last 2 minutes in the UFC. That and if you're watching a card because Tim Sylvia is on it, you're already a fan of the sport and don't need big names to draw you in to purchase a ppv or watch an event on Fox. Couple all this with the fact that he bailed on the UFC for a promotion that was very clearly going to fail and you have yourselves a guy that is never going to get a shot in the UFC again.

I've seen a lot of people use the Morecraft still being in the UFC argument but it's not a good one. Morecraft isn't on the wrong end of his 30s with a declining skill set. He's also not involved in a lot of boring fights like Timmay is. The last time he was relevant he was submitted by Big Nog, leaned on an undersized Brandon Vera, got his ass kicked by a man in his 40s who was outweighed by a significant amount and had back to back 25 minute "fights" against a 5'9 Heavyweight and a Pitbull that was afraid to be dropped again. This was all several years ago as well...

It might just sound like I'm hating on him but it's all true. He doesn't belong in the UFC anymore. He's hanging on to the past and that's not a good way to live.

EDIT: Also, this is not a knock against your piece in any way. I respect your opinion and your decision to write about it.

Last edited 5/3/12 7:11PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/3/12 7:10:12PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I don't think these are valid reasons to keep him from the UFC, lots of fighters use the fans to get them into or back into the UFC.

I am aware some fighters campaign for entrance or re-entrance to the ufc but if I am not mistaken, no fighter has put forth such a calculated attempt as Sylvia. Do you really think he is genuine when he announced he would give a fan the opportunity to be in his corner if and when he makes it back to the ufc? What is stopping him from giving a fan the opportunity to be in his corner right now? The answer is Nothing. These recent acts by Sylvia were not done in sincere measures and they are nothing more than political stunts to campaign for his re-entrance to the ufc.

As I have said before, if Sylvia simply came out and begged the ufc for another chance, I would have found it admirable. Instead, he concocts a calculated and insincere attempt to win the hearts of the fans to help sway the ufc to let him back in. I find that very insulting and I cannot believe many mma fans are helping him with his campaign. Pfffft! Not at you - at Sylvia.

Post #8   5/3/12 11:40:41PM   

alex_durward

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
I appreciate the responses people, I can see your all making valid points. My job in writing these pieces is to get people talking. I get assessed on my views for each piece and the comments left on the website. Got to say, by FAR I am getting more intelligent reasons for and against on this forum. I got no issues if people agree or disagree with my piece, I just like to see a reasoned argument put forward. I enjoy the debate. A huge thank you for your time reading it, it really helps.

Post #9   5/4/12 2:18:42AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
No problem, Alex. Thank you for sharing your piece.

Post #10   5/4/12 10:22:48AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by FlashyG

I don't think these are valid reasons to keep him from the UFC, lots of fighters use the fans to get them into or back into the UFC.

I am aware some fighters campaign for entrance or re-entrance to the ufc but if I am not mistaken, no fighter has put forth such a calculated attempt as Sylvia. Do you really think he is genuine when he announced he would give a fan the opportunity to be in his corner if and when he makes it back to the ufc? What is stopping him from giving a fan the opportunity to be in his corner right now? The answer is Nothing. These recent acts by Sylvia were not done in sincere measures and they are nothing more than political stunts to campaign for his re-entrance to the ufc.

As I have said before, if Sylvia simply came out and begged the ufc for another chance, I would have found it admirable. Instead, he concocts a calculated and insincere attempt to win the hearts of the fans to help sway the ufc to let him back in. I find that very insulting and I cannot believe many mma fans are helping him with his campaign. Pfffft! Not at you - at Sylvia.

How do you know they are insincere? Do you personally know he wouldnt fight at a reduced salary or that he wouldnt let a fan in his corner to return?

Post #11   5/4/12 1:43:44PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Post #12   5/4/12 3:06:58PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,498-1,432
Chips:
I have to agree with Shawn. Timmeh has gotten a bad rap for a long time, but it seems to me he was genuinely trying to make a connection with the fans in his comeback attempt. He's got to start somewhere and I think it was a nice gesture on his part.

Post #13   5/4/12 4:46:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

I have to agree with Shawn. Timmeh has gotten a bad rap for a long time, but it seems to me he was genuinely trying to make a connection with the fans in his comeback attempt. He's got to start somewhere and I think it was a nice gesture on his part.

I no will no longer entertain Shawn but you - I will.

You are missing my point. Tim's offer is real and he will grant a fan the opportunity to be in his corner if he makes it back to the ufc. My point is - the offer was not done out of the goodness of his heart. If he had such a good heart, he would have already made that offer to a fan where-ever he is fighting now.

We have all done good deeds in our lives but sometimes we do them because we felt obligated or we only did them because of certain benefits. A good person will do good deeds and expect nothing in return.

Post #14   5/4/12 5:57:33PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

I no will no longer entertain Shawn but you - I will.

You are missing my point. Tim's offer is real and he will grant a fan the opportunity to be in his corner if he makes it back to the ufc. My point is - the offer was not done out of the goodness of his heart. If he had such a good heart, he would have already made that offer to a fan where-ever he is fighting now.

We have all done good deeds in our lives but sometimes we do them because we felt obligated or we only did them because of certain benefits. A good person will do good deeds and expect nothing in return.

Some very strong logic

Tim in UFC= fan in corner

Tim not in UFC= oh well no fan in corner

Why is that?

Publicity stunt.

Nothing wrong with it. If he thinks it can get him back in the UFC more power to him.

All kungfu is saying is why isn't a fan already in his corner. Why does a fan being in his corner depend on getting back in the UFC.

Last edited 5/4/12 6:06PM server time by george112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   5/4/12 6:03:12PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2