Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lyoto Machida Would Have Taken Middleweight Bout To Stay Busy

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

First of all, Machida needs a new camp. I personally feel he has been kept away from the middle weight division for selfish reasons. He was willing to fight at middle weight and Soar tells him to be patient.

Machida is a true middle weight fighter. He said it himself - he only walks around 211 lbs. He could fight at middle weight or welter weight.

Anderson Silva walks around at a much heavier weight than Machida and he fights in middle weight. Do you guys see what is going on?

The one guy who could possibly beat Anderson is being kept away.

Machida, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Your camp leader is doing a number on you. Your training partner is doing a number on you. When are you going to realize this..? You have been fooled.

I personally believe, at 185, Machida will be a dominant champion. It's too bad...By the time Machida realizes he has been screwed, it will have been too late.

Post #16   5/3/12 10:25:56AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by FastKnockout

Moving down in weight doesn't always gurantee success, but who knows. Machida vs. Belfort would be a classic.

It Gurantees only one thing and that is you will stand on a scale and be lighter. It drives me nuts when a guy loses and everyone is automaticly trying to get him to drop. All that being said I would love to see Machida at 185 and Andy jump to 205

Chael said it best. If you're going to jump weight classes, go ahead and move up in weight so you don't have to base your training camp around cutting weight.

Post #17   5/3/12 1:15:13PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

I too think that Machida should move down. He isn't going to beat Jones IMO.

Jones is too young. Too fast and too strong for him

Based on what? He wasn't exactly outclassed in their first fight.

Besides the obvious fact that he did beat him ill explain my reasoning.

Jones is too young for him. Jones is evolving with every fight he's soaking up experience. Machida on the other hand is set in his ways. I bet he would fight a rematch very close to the same way he fought the first

Second Jones is too fast. Machidas elusive pop when they punch isn't going to work against somebody who has seen it before and realizes he can negate it with his reach.

Third. Strength. Goes along with the age thing. Machida would need to muscle up a little more. But on the same token IMO it would only make him slower

Jones is going to have a lot more octagon experience when and if he gets the rematch with lyoto.

That coupled with all my opinions would be enough to easily beat Machida

Post #18   5/3/12 1:26:33PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

The LHW division is owned by the giant squid who is too strong and too lengthy. The best option for Machida is to move to 185. At 185, Machida will have similar obstacles i.e. wrestlers and strikers as he had in 205 but the major difference is - no one in the 185 pound weight division will have extreme advantages over him like the 205 pounder, Jon Jones.

It is my belief Machida has contemplated the move to middle weight before when his father suggested he should fight Anderson Silva. And it is my belief Anderson and Soares do not want Machida in the middle weight division for two reasons - one, Machida may beat Anderson and two, Soares wants to keep collecting commission from the money making champion, Anderson Silva - all of which are masked by the ideology "Friends and training partners are never to fight each other."

The idea friends should not fight each other is a noble one - but it is also a selfish one. Shogun could have dominated the LHW division while he was in Pride but due to noble or selfish reasons ( however you want to see it ), he was denied, under his own accord and the accord of his camp and team-mate, the opportunity to shine while he was in his prime.

Machida is 33 years old and he will have plenty of time to dominate the middle weight division but he would need to make the move very soon. I am hoping Anderson Silva loses to Sonnen and maybe then - the move to middle weight will be more appealing to Machida, his team-mates, and his camp.

Post #19   5/3/12 1:55:28PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Posted by postman

Posted by FastKnockout

Moving down in weight doesn't always gurantee success, but who knows. Machida vs. Belfort would be a classic.

It Gurantees only one thing and that is you will stand on a scale and be lighter. It drives me nuts when a guy loses and everyone is automaticly trying to get him to drop. All that being said I would love to see Machida at 185 and Andy jump to 205

I don't think the point most people are trying to make when they want to see someone move up or down is because they think the fighter will magically become better. I think it is because the respective fighter has usually exhausted his options in a division, but still may have championship potential and could find it elsewhere.

For example, Rich Franklin. After he lost to Silva a second time I wanted to see him move back up to LHW, not because I thought he would necessarily be better, but because at least he would have a chance to go for a belt and there would be a little more incentive.

As I said in my previous post, if I were Machida I would consider one more run at Jones as I think it's worth the attempt though he would have to string together some wins to get to that point. But if he loses that fight, MW would be interesting, and he may just want to consider making that move now while he is still a top competitor.

I agree with Lay's entire post. We often want people to move up or down because they have already depleted a division like Cruz, Aldo, Silva, and GSP.

Sometimes, people like Franklin come along and there's no possible way they're going to beat Anderson. They might as well move along so they don't become a stagnant gatekeeper.

Machida is one of my favorite fighters of all time and I was a bit shocked to learn that he walks around at 211, but fights at 205. That's ridiculous. He should clearly be fighting at MW while Anderson should be fighting at LHW.

I see exactly where you're coming from, Lay. Take a look at someone like Frankie Edgar, sure he had pretty good success at LW, but he optimized for FW.

Post #20   5/3/12 4:26:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't see many people (except Anderson) who could beat Machida at MW.

He did well against Jones, but I think Jonnie is just too big for him.

Post #21   5/4/12 2:36:22AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I don't see many people (except Anderson) who could beat Machida at MW.

He did well against Jones, but I think Jonnie is just too big for him.

He's the only guy i've seen successfully get Machida to the ground, and that took alot of work.

I doubt anyone at MW would be able to impose any type of grapple based gameplan on Machida.

Post #22   5/4/12 8:45:35PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

He's the only guy i've seen successfully get Machida to the ground, and that took alot of work.

I doubt anyone at MW would be able to impose any type of grapple based gameplan on Machida.

Then again, how many elite light heavyweights focus on grappling to win fights?

I agree with you, since most middleweights are not known for lightning-quick takedowns, but Machida has not had to fight an elite wrestler, outside of Jones, in forever. There's a couple fighters sitting near the top of the division that would be interesting stylistically for The Dragon, but he would easily fit into a role as a top five middleweight.

Post #23   5/4/12 11:19:42PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Pookie

Then again, how many elite light heavyweights focus on grappling to win fights?

I agree with you, since most middleweights are not known for lightning-quick takedowns, but Machida has not had to fight an elite wrestler, outside of Jones, in forever. There's a couple fighters sitting near the top of the division that would be interesting stylistically for The Dragon, but he would easily fit into a role as a top five middleweight.

Almost none, and alot of that has to do with the majority of top LHW's using sprawl-and-brawl styles.

But the last person? Rashad. I think Machida's movement and base are responsible for why Rashad didn't shoot-in on Machida more than sporadically, and that's because he couldn't get close enough to shoot a takedown that had any chance of success.

I'm absolutely positive no one at 185 can take Machida down.

Post #24   5/5/12 12:36:59AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
I think Sonnen can possibly take Machida down but Sonnen would literally have to chase Machida down and eat a shot or two. Sonnen is good at combining wrestling technique and muscling in one package. Other than Sonnen, I don't see any one else in the middle weight division who would pose any take down threat against Machida.

I like to think - as a trainer, one has certain obligations to his or her trainees. If I was a trainer and I have a fighter who is walking around 160 lbs and he fights in the 155 lb weight division, wouldn't it be part of my responsibility to guide and maybe even persuade my fighter to fight at 145 instead of 155?

I think as a trainer, it may not be your sole responsibility but you certainly have some obligations to your trainees to point them in the right direction. Ed Soares obviously is not doing his part and Machida has obviously not waken up to smell the coffee. I am frustrated with Machida because he is one of my favorites.

Last edited 5/5/12 1:41AM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #25   5/5/12 1:38:16AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster
Machida has obviously not waken up to smell the coffee.

He drinks pee in the mornings. He's never waken up to the smell of coffee.

Post #26   5/5/12 1:48:03AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster
Machida has obviously not waken up to smell the coffee.

He drinks pee in the mornings. He's never waken up to the smell of coffee.

He probably has no sense of smell because I am willing to bet if he had smelled his pee, it would have definitely waken him up.

Post #27   5/5/12 11:39:37AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2